US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump has tried to do everything he said that has some sort of racist, anti climate, dictatorship undertone.

Luckily the courts have blocked most of his attempts.

While this MAY not happen, it needs to be called out

Being alarmed at fascistic impulses is part of resisting fascism.

Well perhaps.

And while I'm not referring specifically to anyone here, don't you think the language being used by much of "The Resistance" online and at protest is a little over the top? I'm not sure simply calling someone a NAZI, or fascist, or comparing them to Hitler, and calling it a day isn't exactly rational. And if you're going to make those comparisons, don't clutch your pearls when people assume you are being literal...because there's really no other way to take such over the top rhetoric. Basically, people just want to use that kind of rhetoric and then claim no responsibility for it when called on it.

Resistance Fighter (RF): Trump is worse than Hitler! He's a fascist NAZI that's turning America into an autocratic dictatorship!

Rational Person (RP): Hmmmm. Well is he rounding up and murdering Jews by the millions? Has be made all other political parties illegal? Has the state taken control of the press? Is there still a free press? Are you free to criticise the President? Has the state taken over the economy? Are political enemies being arrested and sent to concentration camps? Can Trump do whatever he wishes simply by dictate? Are Trumps supporters free to roam every city attacking political enemies, en masse, without fear of arrest? Does Trump control the police?

RF: You're being too literal! He'd do all those things if he could!

RP: But he hasn't and he can't.

RF: Why are you supporting Trump? That's an awful hill to die on!

RP: Er, I'm not supporting Trump, I'm just pointing out...

RF: FASCIST!!!!

RP: (sigh)

We call political enemies fascist because it's the worst thing we can think to call them. It's more more thought than that. And no, it's not unique to Trump and these circumstances. They compared Bush to Hitler and called him a fascist. The right compared Obama to Hitler for crying out loud (though eventually they more settled on Stalin).

It's possible to oppose Trump and not look ignorant by going Godwin. And if you're (and I mean that rhetorically, not you) going to use over the top language like that, don't be surprised if you're called on it.

Well perhaps.

And while I'm not referring specifically to anyone here, don't you think the language being used by much of "The Resistance" online and at protest is a little over the top? I'm not sure simply calling someone a NAZI, or fascist, or comparing them to Hitler, and calling it a day isn't exactly rational. And if you're going to make those comparisons, don't clutch your pearls when people assume you are being literal...because there's really no other way to take such over the top rhetoric. Basically, people just want to use that kind of rhetoric and then claim no responsibility for it when called on it.

We call political enemies fascist because it's the worst thing we can think to call them. It's more more thought than that. And no, it's not unique to Trump and these circumstances. They compared Bush to Hitler and called him a fascist. The right compared Obama to Hitler for crying out loud (though eventually they more settled on Stalin).

It's possible to oppose Trump and not look ignorant by going Godwin. And if you're (and I mean that rhetorically, not you) going to use over the top language like that, don't be surprised if you're called on it.

strawman.jpg

I do laugh a little about the idea that people on twitter retweeting stories, or sharing their "sources" (which turn out to be wrong more than right) are somehow on the front line against the Trump administration. It's a little cringe-worthy, but it's kind of entertaining to read while I poop

There are a few (mainly reporters) doing a hell of a job on social media with their reporting.

For all the talk of Obama being some King/Dictator, it's always been the GOP Presidents who chip away at our freedoms.

Military Refuses to Participate in Trump’s Parade, Citing Bone Spurs

By Andy Borowitz

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—The Pentagon has turned down Donald J. Trump’s request for a grand military parade in Washington, D.C., citing a sudden outbreak of bone spurs that would prevent men and women in uniform from participating.

Harland Dorrinson, a Pentagon spokesman, said that, within an hour of Trump’s request, more than a hundred thousand military personnel complained that they were suffering from acute cases of bone spurs that would make marching in such a parade a painful ordeal.

“In the history of the U.S. military, we have never experienced a bone-spur epidemic of this magnitude,” the spokesman said. “Regrettably, however, we have no choice but to issue thousands of deferments.”

A statement from the bone-spur sufferers said that they would continue to valiantly serve their country around the world in a non-marching capacity, and offered an alternative to their participation in Trump’s proposed pageant.

“President Trump is welcome to march in the parade all by himself if he would finally like to enlist,” the statement read.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/bor...-parade-citing-bone-spurs?mbid=social_twitter

Last edited:
How about the news today from nbc about the Russians hacking into our voter systems. This is the first time it’s been confirmed as before it was said they did not get in, only tried.

It’s likely at some point we find out they were able to flip votes.

How about the news today from nbc about the Russians hacking into our voter systems. This is the first time it’s been confirmed as before it was said they did not get in, only tried.

It’s likely at some point we find out they were able to flip votes.

This was of course suspected for a long time. And they likely didn't explictly flip votes, but rather purge rolls of registered voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom