US Politics VI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but you showed those rocks who’s the boss (with big hands).

Every since the infamous Access Hollywood comment, I've always been skeptical when people say "this is it for Trump." However, I believe now that things have changed, and while I don't think the end is exactly near (relatively speaking), I do think we are nearing the end, or that this is the beginning of the end. But at least perhaps the end of the beginning. I'm not sure he's crossed the Rubicon so much as things are starting to reach critical mass.

Something has changed, and while I think it could be a combination of things, my sense is that GOP support for him (among members of Congress) is starting to erode. Most of them, I believe, have always disliked him, but I'm guessing more and more Republicans will start publicly dissing him, especially after the beating they're going to take in November. They have zero loyalty to Trump, just fear of his base. But I think the views of that mystery Congressman talking about Trump in Safeway probably reflect the views of a number of his colleagues. One magazine did some research and deducting reasoning and concluded it was Peter King (R-NY), and while I think their methods are a little dubious, it does sound like something King would say. And purely anecdotally, I saw Peter King once in Safeway when I lived in Old Town Alexandria.

Things are only going to get much, more worse for the President from here on out, IMO.

Right now the only people who can save him is most likely the Democrats, when, if they win in November (and they probably will) start embarrassing themselves and overreaching (and they probably will).

Last edited:
Yes but you showed those rocks who’s the boss (with big hands).

I haven't decided how I feel about some of Comey's more, ah, school yard comments about Trump in his book.

On one hand, it makes him sound as petty and vengeful as the President. On the other hand, Comey clearly made it personal because he knew it would send Trump through the roof, and was likely looking to provoke just the kind of response he got. It's sort of a thing of beauty watching someone so easily baited by rhetoric fall into that trap. Granted, Trump is sort of low hanging fruit, but still.

I will say that on balance my estimation of Comey has gone nothing but down since the Clinton email fiasco, and while his current shenanigans are aimed at someone loathsome, I can't say he comes across very well.

Last edited:
Comey as a person has been redeeming. He is quite clever - I do think the school yard antics are on purpose, to get under Donald’s skin. However, him as a professional... sorts went out the door here.

Comey’s book reads sort of like bad fan fiction so in that sense it’s very entertaining. But overall we are all stupider and worse off for having lived through this horrific administration. Thanks “economically anxious” white people.

nIjqeYz.jpg

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Stephanapolus (who I generally hate) is being pretty tough on Comey.

Good.

I’m happy for anything Comey can do to further the slam dunk obstruction charges, but fuck him.

If there is any individual responsible for this nightmare it’s him.

The best part of this whole Comey thing is the tribalism it reveals when watching Republicans and Democrats twist themselves into pretzels picking and choosing when he's being credible and ethical and when he's a liar and hack. No one really likes him at this point, but he's useful for advancing a political narrative for both sides, depending on the issue. But only just, and every comment about Comey has to start with a caveat.

Anyway, at least we know he thinks Trump has small hands now.

The best part of this whole Comey thing is the tribalism it reveals when watching Republicans and Democrats twist themselves into pretzels picking and choosing when he's being credible and ethical and when he's a liar and hack. No one really likes him at this point, but he's useful for advancing a political narrative for both sides, depending on the issue. But only just, and every comment about Comey has to start with a caveat.

Anyway, at least we know he thinks Trump has small hands now.

Or is it that Comey is a complex person who has inserted himself in various places and can’t be simply summed up in one sentence? Perhaps nuance and caveats are exactly what are needed to accurately understand what happened, what is happening, and what will likely happen. Thst he’s neither good nor bad, that his decisions have multiple motivations, and that he’s covering his ass while also trying to do the right thing, to him, and that he’s made errors and misjudgments.

Well of course. We're all complex, and none of us are completely good or bad.

What I'm saying is, whether what he did in a particular circumstance was good or bad, or whether he's been honest in this instance or lying in the next, for many depends purely on their political viewpoint. That's the tribalism.

Well of course. We're all complex, and none of us are completely good or bad.

What I'm saying is, whether what he did in a particular circumstance was good or bad, or whether he's been honest in this instance or lying in the next, for many depends purely on their political viewpoint. That's the tribalism.

Are these your Twitter friends again?

No, it’s all the Republicans and Democrat talking heads on TV putting their own little spin on it.

Honestly, if you don’t recognise the ever changing spin on Comey from all sides between the Clinton email fiasco and now, you’re not as politically aware as I thought you were.

I’m fully aware that the point of most of your posts is to present yourself as an honest broker, one of the rare few who truly knows what’s going on. You can see through the political spin and emotionality that confuse the rest of us.

I’m fully aware that the point of most of your posts is to present yourself as an honest broker, one of the rare few who truly knows what’s going on. You can see through the political spin and emotionality that confuse the rest of us.

Well I to try to be an honest broker, as you’re a loyal Democrat.

There’s room for both in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom