US Politics VI - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #561
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Good. Then you know, if you were an "atheist male in Egypt", and spoke out against the treatment of women and Christians, you'd most likely be in jail.
Dude, you don't know anything about Egypt. Stop pretending like you do. That's total bullshit, you would not "most likely be in jail."

Quote:
Mate, I don't get it. If you say something I think is wrong, or rubbish, I'll say so. But it's not personal for me. Just as if you disagree with something I say, and think I'm flat out wrong, by all means speak up and show me how I'm off course. I promise I won't take it personally if you don't make it personal. I don't get annoyed or hurt by political debates. My saying you're wrong, or you saying I'm wrong, or saying "what you wrote is rubbish", doesn't mean anything, unless we start throwing personal insults.

Horse shit it's not personal. You respond with a snide tone to people you recognize the name of at an exceptionally higher rate. You seek to contradict people. It is personal. And it's insulting when you aim to portray peoples views as weak so as to make yours seem strong, when in fact those views your projecting on others aren't their views. Like right now, you're attempting to relate my philosophy of anti-oppression to this imaginative discussion we aren't even having. Enlighten me: what point have I made that you equate to "rubbish"?

Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #562
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Careful... he might put you on ignore for saying shit.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #563
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by headache in a suitcase View Post
careful... He might put you on ignore for saying shit.

qft
Old 03-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #564
Blue Crack Supplier

unstoppable force meets immovable object
Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #565
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Dude, you don't know anything about Egypt. Stop pretending like you do. That's total bullshit, you would not "most likely be in jail."
Quote:
Public criticism of the government remained effectively banned in Egypt in 2016. Police arrested scores of people in connection with protests, many preemptively. Authorities ordered travel bans and asset freezes against prominent human rights organizations and their directors and brought criminal charges against the head of the Press Syndicate and the country’s top anti-corruption official. Parliament proposed a new law regulating nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) that would effectively end independent human rights work in the country.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi’s government maintained its zero-tolerance policy towards dissent, introducing repressive legislation, notably a nongovernmental organization (NGO) law that may end independent associations, reinstating a state of emergency and continuing near-absolute impunity for abuses by security forces under the pretext of fighting “terrorism.”
Source: Human Rights Watch (U2 likes these guys, and I used to work for them)

Quote:
Egyptian state arrested Egyptian citizens for raising a rainbow flag during a concert organized by a band, “Mashrou’ Leila”, on Friday, September 22, 2017. The local media supported these arrests by publishing numerous articles and interviews encouraging hate speech against groups and individuals that have gender non-conforming identities and sexual orientations, especially targeting LGBT people in Egypt. These provoking articles invaded most news and social media platforms.

Consequently, the security attacks increased causing the arrest of more citizens who were charged of “inciting immorality” and attending the abovementioned concert. The Egyptian police’s statement alleged that arrested individuals are “homosexuals who raised the LGBT flag and encouraged the practice of immoral acts.” Political figures, political parties’ representatives, Members of Parliament and Al-Azhar religious scholars have also pressured the state to put an end to – what they called – attempts to corrupt the youth.
Amnesty International has come to the same conclusion. Also look at what Freedom House has to say. There's only about million reports of stuff like this.

Freedom of expression, and any kind of meaningful dissent, is all but dead in Egypt (unless you're a tourist, in a tourist area). Egypt now has one of the worst human rights records in the world. Yes, your hypothetical Egyptian atheist would certainly be arrested for speaking out against oppression of women and Christians.

Someone thinks all's fine in Egypt, however...

Quote:
United States President Donald Trump, in April during al-Sisi’s visit to Washington, said “he has done a fantastic job in a very difficult situation.”
Yeah, yeah. I know. These groups don't know anything about Egypt either.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #566
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Source: Human Rights Watch (U2 likes these guys, and I used to work for them)

Amnesty International has come to the same conclusion. Also look at what Freedom House has to say. There's only about million reports of stuff like this.

Freedom of expression, and any kind of meaningful dissent, is all but dead in Egypt (unless you're a tourist, in a tourist area). Yes, your hypothetical Egyptian atheist would certainly be arrested for speaking out against oppression of women and Christians.

First: Deflect your criticisms by avoiding responding

Second: write response based upon nick66 interpretation of what "speaking out" is

Have you ever been to Egypt? Do you think I'm here defending Egypt? Based upon your response, and upon your prior posts, you seem fixated on the idea that liberal folks defend the wrongdoings of foreign cultures and nations. Just my take though, I won't say that's how you actually feel.

Anywho, you brought up LGBT issues in Egypt. Which aren't the same as religion and gender. You're attempting to explain not only my heritage and fatherland to me, but now you're attempting to explain how sexuality in said fatherland works. Do you think you know how that goes better than I do? I gay first generation descendant from Egypt? Nobody cares that you know how to google things, dude.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #567
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Someone thinks all's fine in Egypt, however...
Quote me where I said it's all fine ij Egypt. You can't.

Quote:

And then tell me that this tone in your shitty posts is not both snide and personal. Go ahead, address it. Tell people exactly what you mean by that last quoted item.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #568
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Both of you, drop it and move on.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #569
Blue Crack Addict

No, make him respond to it.

His nonsense is the epitome of trolling without explicitly doing so.

I'm sick and tired of it being acceptable that he gets free reign to fly under the radar and portray people the way he does.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:05 PM   #570
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Both of you, drop it and move on.
no intent to fuel any argument here but i think LN7 has made some very valid points here that nick should respond to. contradicting him on his own heritage with a bunch of internet links is some real bullshit.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #571
Blue Crack Distributor

He argued against a dictionary.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #572
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:57 PM
I’m surprised the Cambridge Analytics story isn’t bigger than it is. The focus seems to be more on The Zuck than what the relationship between Trump Campaign, CA, and Russia.

I know Mueller was looking into this months ago and has had CA people interviewed.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #573
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I’m surprised the Cambridge Analytics story isn’t bigger than it is. The focus seems to be more on The Zuck than what the relationship between Trump Campaign, CA, and Russia.

I know Mueller was looking into this months ago and has had CA people interviewed.
I think there's a combination of Trump fatigue, not understanding all the details of what exactly they did, some acceptance that this is part of the price of modern society, and a little bit of denial - i.e. people not wanting to admit that they were heavily manipulated through social media.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #574
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

I think that it's pretty simple - most people understand the issues with Facebook and privacy, most have a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to FB and privacy even though it doesn't appear to prevent them from continuing to use it and Zuckerberg is sort of like this douchy billionaire who seems to be dipping a toe in the political waters to test them out but clearly lacks instinct and relatability.

Cambridge Analytics and their relationship to Trump and their roundabout way of getting the information and then using it is about 10 steps beyond what a regular person watching TV is willing to wrap their minds around. Sad, but true.

As for the other discussion, I long ago concluded that nick is basically a professional contrarian.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #575
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
no intent to fuel any argument here but i think LN7 has made some very valid points here that nick should respond to. contradicting him on his own heritage with a bunch of internet links is some real bullshit.

Now that I’ve gone back and read it again, I agree.

Nick, I hope you can take a minute to pause and reflect on how poorly/condescending it comes across when you attempt to lecture somebody on their homeland and heritage, all while completely misrepresenting their argument.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #576
Blue Crack Addict

Trump vs Joe Biden

Biden should be better than that. He does have a proclivity for wacky behavior. I admit it, I'd like to see them fight each other.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #577
Blue Crack Addict

Old 03-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #578
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post

I think Islam is stupid and oppressive and yadayadayada.
Dude...
Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #579
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll View Post
Dude...

I mean I'm not picking on it. I'm not religious / I don't believe in god. I find that statement to be true of most if not all religions that intermix with society.

With that being said, not everyone who practices them is oppressed, nor are they at all stupid.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #580
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The president’s lead lawyer for the special counsel investigation, John Dowd, resigned on Thursday, according to two people briefed on the matter, days after the president called for an end to the inquiry.

Mr. Dowd, who took over the president’s legal team last summer, had considered leaving several times in recent months and ultimately concluded that Mr. Trump was increasingly ignoring his advice, one of the people said. Mr. Trump has insisted he should sit for an interview with the special counsel’s office, even though Mr. Dowd believed it was a bad idea.
lol this guy