US Politics VI - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #501
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Take your place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history
__________________

MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 03-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #502
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,508
Local Time: 12:33 AM
So this Cambridge Analytics seems to be growing as a story and issue.

And Trump having a meltdown on Twitter is always nice to see.
__________________

BEAL is online now  
Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 AM   #503
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 01:33 PM
And yet... if you look at this Trump presidency from a distance, and I mean time and space distance, he's trucking along as he has been from the beginning. Playing to his base and trusting his self confidence will sway enough of the rest.
Still no facts to bury him. Still no GOP revolt.
Still can't believe it's real...
kiwilad is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #504
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,132
Local Time: 07:33 PM
We are in a time where, to large segments of the population, facts don't matter.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #505
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Rum Tum Tugger is a Curious Cat...
Posts: 6,663
Local Time: 01:33 AM
A large segment of population don't even know what the "facts" are. They're tuned out.

And for those partisans who fancy themselves informed, they're mostly interested in "facts" that reinforce what they already believe...and such information is accepted without scrutiny. Information that tends to go contrary to what they believe (to the extent they even allow themselves to be exposed to it) is generally met with skepticism and ultimately discarded.
Nick66 is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #506
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,562
Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
A large segment of population don't even know what the "facts" are. They're tuned out.

And for those partisans who fancy themselves informed, they're mostly interested in "facts" that reinforce what they already believe...and such information is accepted without scrutiny. Information that tends to go contrary to what they believe (to the extent they even allow themselves to be exposed to it) is generally met with skepticism and ultimately discarded.
Pretty good summary of post-truth politics right there. If you create enough noise, people can believe whatever they want.
Danny Boy is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #507
ONE
love, blood, life
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,574
Local Time: 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
And for those partisans who fancy themselves informed, they're mostly interested in "facts" that reinforce what they already believe...and such information is accepted without scrutiny. Information that tends to go contrary to what they believe (to the extent they even allow themselves to be exposed to it) is generally met with skepticism and ultimately discarded.
I agree this is a problem for our current political landscape, but confirmation bias has been around for as long as there has been news, and it exists anywhere there is news. And psychologically everyone is prone to it to some degree. The problem now is the utter ruthlessness with which news media is willing to exploit it.
iron yuppie is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #508
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,562
Local Time: 04:33 PM
"Great commercials."

Danny Boy is offline  
Old 03-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #509
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 05:33 PM
corianderstem is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #510
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Don Jr. allegedly had an affair with Aubrey O'Day in 2011 when she was on Celebrity Apprentice. He told her he was in love with her and was going to leave his wife for her. Etc.

His wife found out when she found emails. Aubrey released a song in 2013 entitled DJT. I guess no one noticed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	affair20f-4-web.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	11825
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #511
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
A good legal system is a fairly important part of a good democracy...

I do get your point, and of course agree that anyone disgusted with this administration needs to make change at the ballot box and not just hope for Bob Mueller to walk everyone out of the oval in chains.
This is correct, there are certain things that must be done through the courts, but we know from how short the 14th Amendment has fallen in creating equality how much has to be done elsewhere. There needs to be a change in Congress, and there needs to be a change in culture.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #512
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,457
Local Time: 08:33 PM
why won't a good guy with a bomb stop this bad guy with bombs?

it *is* Texas. every white Christian hetero male down there is Chuck fucking Norris.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #513
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,132
Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
why won't a good guy with a bomb stop this bad guy with bombs?

it *is* Texas. every white Christian hetero male down there is Chuck fucking Norris.
Because they haven't done enough to support the National Bomb Association?
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #514
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,508
Local Time: 12:33 AM
So let's play a hypothetical:

What happens, where do we go IF;

We find out that the Trump Campaign colluded with the Russians to not only hack voter information, but actually ALTER VOTES in the swing states?

Last year we found out that Russia meddled in our election, but were told our systems were safe. Then we find out early 2018 that Russia did indeed hack into our systems, and our voter registration rolls. We were told that doesn't appear to be anything else.

What if there is that something else?

*takes off tin foil hat*

I could go the other route. What if Mueller finds nothing? Just some poor judgement from Trump aides, and more of a manipulation by Russia with the administration. How much damage will a not under investigation Trump Administration do in four years, or possibly eight?

I feel like we're screwed either direction we go haha
BEAL is online now  
Old 03-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #515
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,132
Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
So let's play a hypothetical:

What happens, where do we go IF;

We find out that the Trump Campaign colluded with the Russians to not only hack voter information, but actually ALTER VOTES in the swing states?

Last year we found out that Russia meddled in our election, but were told our systems were safe. Then we find out early 2018 that Russia did indeed hack into our systems, and our voter registration rolls. We were told that doesn't appear to be anything else.

What if there is that something else?

*takes off tin foil hat*

I could go the other route. What if Mueller finds nothing? Just some poor judgement from Trump aides, and more of a manipulation by Russia with the administration. How much damage will a not under investigation Trump Administration do in four years, or possibly eight?

I feel like we're screwed either direction we go haha
Hypothetical #1 is so far out there that I'm not ready to even respond to it.



I think hypothetical #2 is a distinct possibility, with a caveat. I think it's likely that Mueller finds that the president himself was not working directly with the Russians on the election, but that the campaign was so dysfunctional that they allowed hangers on who were involved to join, and also didn't do anything to stop or call attention to the Russian attack even though it was obvious it was going on.

I also think he'll find that Trump obstructed justice, not to cover his own involvement per se, but because a) his ego would not allow him to admit that Russia played a huge role in his election, b) that any investigation into Russian attacks on our election will likely reveal other improprieties that Trump Org were active participants in, your fraud and money laundering and such, and c) has naivety and sheer unqualification for the job made him think that he could actually do these things because he was president, and this is how he made things to away in his businesses.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #516
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 447
Local Time: 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
why won't a good guy with a bomb stop this bad guy with bombs?

it *is* Texas. every white Christian hetero male down there is Chuck fucking Norris.
Isn't the definition of "xenophobia" discrimination against an entire group of people?

I wonder how long this post would go unreported if you traded the word Christian with Muslim.

Disgraceful
Gzusfrk is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #517
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,457
Local Time: 08:33 PM
US Politics VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Isn't the definition of "xenophobia" discrimination against an entire group of people?



I wonder how long this post would go unreported if you traded the word Christian with Muslim.



Disgraceful



It’s not my fault the present day GOP has conflated Christianity with guns and right wing politics.

But be fair — I am totally “xenophobic” against whites and straights of Texas as well.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #518
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,440
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Isn't the definition of "xenophobia" discrimination against an entire group of people?



I wonder how long this post would go unreported if you traded the word Christian with Muslim.



Disgraceful


Xenophobia has to do with people from other countries, by people from other religions. What you're describing is more of just a general prejudice.

Either way I don't imagine Irvine to be a religious fellow (maybe he is, though).

I doubt he stands up for Muslim people because he agrees with their religion. He stands up for them because they're a minority. Christians are not, and do not face any form of "xenophobia" or any prejudice otherwise.

I'd equate being Christian to being white. You're then the status quo of society.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 03-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #519
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Isn't the definition of "xenophobia" discrimination against an entire group of people?

I wonder how long this post would go unreported if you traded the word Christian with Muslim.

Disgraceful
Disingenuous.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 03-20-2018, 07:14 PM   #520
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzusfrk View Post
Isn't the definition of "xenophobia" discrimination against an entire group of people?



Um, no

We’re so screwed.
__________________

BVS is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×