US Politics V - now with 20% more echo chamber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he's actually quoting psalm 40 (horribly) right now :ohmy:

he's not conceding at all, this whole speech is about how god is about to perform a miracle. wow.

that was really a waste of time to wait for that. i expected an angry bitter and reluctant concession.

Ha ha ha fuck Roy Moore.

Also, there's no way Trump wrote his own tweet tonight. It's way too coherent.

This is such incredible, unexpected and hopeful news.
People of the United States are so much better than their president!
Ecstatic for you all! ?

I love watching a homophobic a$$hole lose in one of the deepest red states there is.

I feel like democrats are going to take the house, but still most likely not the senate in 2018 despite this big upset in Alabama. The 2020 election is far off, but Trump was always on shaky ground. I never thought he'd keep the Rust Belt because he only won with the Clinton campaign failing to actually campaign there until it was too late. Republicans also have to worry about defending Arizona & Georgia which have both become swing states moving closer to blue. I mean Hillary, despite her unpopularity, was able to bring those states even closer to turning blue than Obama did. What'll happen with a candidate who doesn't have her baggage? And then there's Florida which always seems to sway. Again, a lot can happen before then, but do people expect much to change from Trump from now until then?

BTW I'm an unaffiliated voter, not a democrat. I'm just fascinated by how people don't talk enough about democrats taking Virginia, Colorado & Nevada away for 3 straight elections. Those used to be solidly red states that always voted Republican. And I just don't think Republicans have done the same with PA, Michigan & Wisconsin. And if they aren't careful the same will soon happen in Arizona, and possibly Georgia. Though Georgia could become more like Florida & Ohio which neither really controls. Arizona is the one that could soon join Nevada & Colorado.

Last edited:
A Moore loss is great news.

Although it might have been fun to watch the Republicans go after him and boot him out of the Senate.

Still, a bit disconcerting that the race was this close.

I think in VA and AL it’s shown that staying close to the center can win.

Tho in AL it took a child molester to go blue

I think in VA and AL it’s shown that staying close to the center can win.

I think it's far more than that.

African Americans won this in Alabama. PERIOD. The turnout was larger than for Barack Obama, for heaven's sake. AA women voted 98-2 for Jones...the are the MOST reliable voting block in America, easily.

This is fertile ground - as I have been saying, there are far more votes among minority groups who typically don't vote than this notion that meeting bigots in the middle will somehow change a few hearts and minds.

A Moore loss is great news.

Although it might have been fun to watch the Republicans go after him and boot him out of the Senate.

Still, a bit disconcerting that the race was this close.

REpublicans are all talk, no action! They would have found some stupid excuse to keep him in because it fits their agenda. Nothing would have happened because they are all cowards. Party over country. Remember Ryan? When during the trump election what he said of trump? And how he reacted after trump won? It was nothing but support of him after winning.

Last edited:
I think it's far more than that.

African Americans won this in Alabama. PERIOD. The turnout was larger than for Barack Obama, for heaven's sake. AA women voted 98-2 for Jones...the are the MOST reliable voting block in America, easily.

I'm not sure I agree with this. While it's true that the AA vote was larger than for Obama, it was only slightly so...and Obama still lost Alabama by 28 points.

Certainly, Jones didn't stand a chance without historic AA turnout, but that would not have mattered if sensible Republicans either voted for Jones, stayed home, or wrote in another candidate.

Let's put it this way...even with that large AA turnout, if the GOP ran a candidate without Moore'e baggage, Jone would certainly have lost.

Let's put it this way...even with that large AA turnout, if the GOP ran a candidate without Moore'e baggage, Jone would certainly have lost.

If they didn't run a flat out racists like him. His sexual baggage I think had nothing to do with the elevated AA vote. It was his glorifying slavery that did it.

40% of this country did not vote. 30% voted for Trump. Roughly.

We need to stop obsessing about the "pain" the 30% feel and their "economic anxiety" and whatever else. Concentrate on the 40%. Some of the 30% will come around because Trump is so loathsome but most of them will NEVER come around, they are the base.

That's my only point. And it seems totally divorced from reality that people persistently push us to find some middle ground with people who will by and large never change when there is a MUCH larger group of people out there with whom you potentially have a chance. It's just total insanity.

If they didn't run a flat out racists like him. His sexual baggage I think had nothing to do with the elevated AA vote. It was his glorifying slavery that did it.

His sexual baggage elevated AA vote in an important way...it drew national attention and elevated the race, which always increases turnout. Not to mention the huge amounts of money that poured into the Jones campaign that he was able to put into GOTV operations (which were aimed primarily at AA voters). Even with Moore's other baggage, the race really wasn't considered competitive until the sexual allegations came out.

And it goes without saying that the sexual baggage played a significant role in depressing GOP turnout, along with cross over and write in voting.

That said, I do agree that if the "Obama constituency" comes out in 2008 & 2012 numbers in 2018, Democrats can win a lot more races, including taking over the House and perhaps the Senate. But in Alabama, I think what mostly was going on here is Moore being a deeply compromised candidate.

Last edited:
An encouraging takeaway from this race is that you may need Trump to win the primary, but you cannot win with Trump in the general. His racism motivates mi origins, his misogyny motivates women, and his crass stupidity motivates white educated suburbanites who may want lower taxes but are repulsed by him. This is the new coalition, and this is the D task for 2018.

That said, I do agree that if the "Obama constituency" comes out in 2008 & 2012 numbers in 2018, Democrats can win a lot more races, including taking over the House and perhaps the Senate. But in Alabama, I think what mostly was going on here is Moore being a deeply compromised candidate.

Again, my point is that the voters who do not vote usually (mostly minority) are who the Dems should pursue. Give up on the Deplorables - they can rejoin polite society at their leisure.

The DNC apparently finally gets it as their Vice Chair is now on record saying they will specifically target African American voters. So you can bet that the numbers support that hypothesis.

Give up on the Deplorables - they can rejoin polite society at their leisure.

Shh, you’re not supposed to call the folks that happily voted for a pedophile, a president that suggested a senator was performing sexual favors, and find nazis to be fine people that - they’re just decent disenfranchised folks.

Would a universal income help sway Coal Country away from the GOP?

Knowing that fossil fuels will not be around forever, and that automation is killing the blue collar workforce, could something like universal income help lessen the blow of “Dey took mehhh job!!” ?

It may help with the perception that us liberals are all elitist and don’t care about those who didn’t adapt (by choice or not) to the changing times.

Again, my point is that the voters who do not vote usually (mostly minority) are who the Dems should pursue. Give up on the Deplorables - they can rejoin polite society at their leisure.

The DNC apparently finally gets it as their Vice Chair is now on record saying they will specifically target African American voters. So you can bet that the numbers support that hypothesis.

This means big things for Booker.

If they're going to target minority voters, they sure as hell better make combating voter suppression and gerrymandering a major part of the platform going forward. There were still a lot of horror stories yesterday in Alabama about clampdowns on minority voting. They declared large swathes of minority communities "Inactive" voters, which meant they needed to be able to confirm various pieces of information at the polling place that they might not know offhand. And Alabama is so gerrymandered that Roy Moore won in six of the state's seven congressional districts.

Also, you know, supporting economic policies that achieve justice for minorities would be a good strategy as well.

So there are stories out there about how the FBI, and Rudy conspired to release a bunch of bullshit stories on Clinton a few weeks before the election.

I know the Dems are looking at investigating this, but where's the outrage for that part of the FBI? The employees/agents who didn't like Clinton.

Instead we focus on a dude who sent a few texts saying exactly what a majority of the nation thinks? Can we just release every email ever written so we have all bases covered?

Can we just release every email ever written so we have all bases covered?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom