US Politics V - now with 20% more echo chamber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We truly are fucked aren’t we?

We have a racist, snowflake manchild shutting down the borders to anyone that doesn’t look like him, to science, to logic, to freedom of press, and completely opening the White House doors to white supremacy and human garbage like this.

I seriously have no desire to check the news out anymore. Just today when I checked: I saw all of this:

1. A video of a cop executing a poor scared guy that was trying to follow some very confusing demands. And finding out that the cop was acquitted.
2. A video of a poor kid who is bullied.
3. An attempted bomb attack in NYC
4. Trump making robo calls and campaigning for a child molester.
5. Trump picking his usual fights with the media about how many hours of tv he watches.
6. Seeing the strong possibility that a child molester will win tomorrow in an election.
7. Betsy DeVos ending the debt cancellation programs for those who were scammed in fake colleges. Especially when trump had his pos trump university and Devos is/was owner of a debt collection company.

And this is only the shit that I remember about reading today. Just in ONE day!
God what a fucked up world we live in. I’m tired of all this nonsense. I think I’ll just listen to music, watch movies and work on my photography and try to be blissfully ignorant of what is happening currently, because every single damn day, I read about something that makes me absolutely sick!

Last edited:
I seriously have no desire to check the news out anymore. Just today when I checked: I saw all of this:

1. A video of a cop executing a poor scared guy that was trying to follow some very confusing demands. And finding out that the cop was acquitted.
4. Trump making robo calls and campaigning for a child molester.
5. Trump picking his usual fights with the media about how many hours of tv he watches.
6. Seeing the strong possibility that a child molester will win tomorrow in an election.
7. Betsy DeVos ending the debt cancellation programs for those who were scammed in fake colleges. Especially when trump had his pos trump university and Devos is/was owner of a debt collection company.

God what a fucked up world we live in. I’m tired of all this nonsense. I think I’ll just listen to music, watch movies and work on my photography and try to be blissfully ignorant of what is happening currently, because every single damn day, I read about something that makes me absolutely sick!
I guess we shouldn't tell you that the bullied kid's mom turns out to be one hell of a racist then, huh?

I guess we shouldn't tell you that the bullied kid's mom turns out to be one hell of a racist then, huh?

I was not aware of that tbh, another fucking sick thing! Fuck the racists too. But the kid is just a kid, if he was bullied that just sucks. It hits hard for me as I was bullied like crazy when I was a kid because 1. I just moved to Canada and knew not one word of English and 2 I was a pretty small (short) guy for my age. I eventually stopped getting bullied once I moved schools and lived a relitively normal life but those 5 years or so I endured of heavy bullying did somewhat have an impact on how I interact socially. Anyway sorry getting carried away, the video just impacted me but I had no idea that his mother is a pos racist. However this doesn’t change that fact that I feel very badly for the kid.

Last edited:
As someone who’s dealt with bullying, I sincerely feel for this kid, and if we all had a percentage of his empathy we’d live in a better world.

But from the first listen, I did not like the mother’s tone. That was not the tone of a sympathetic wanting to help mother.

I feel sorry for this kid in many ways.

4. the rich asshole making robo calls and campaigning for a child molester.
5. the rich asshole picking his usual fights with the media about how many hours of tv he watches.

Oh I know and it used be so nice too....

Vietnam & Kent State.
Political assassinations (or attempted) in the US & riots at the conventions.
The Troubles.
The National Front.
Weell... there's Watergate of course. :)
The German Red Army Faction kidnappings & bombings.
The Munich Olympics.
Fascist Bombings in European cities.
European airport massacres by Islamic Jihadists of the era in Athens and Vienna.
Ronald Reagan & Margaret Thatcher.
Airline hijackings, hostages in Beirut, Panam/Lockerbie bombing.
Oh... just a thirty year long embedded, organised and well funded miitary grade armed terrrorist operation in England waging a weekly, bloody war - aka the PIRA.
The Iranian Embassy siege.
The Iran Contra affair.
The Iran/Iraq war.
Brixton, Toxteth riots.
Saddam nerve gassing the Kurdish people for shits.
The Cold War.

1990s...

Same shite, different calender mate.

Oh I know and it used be so nice too....

Vietnam & Kent State.

Political assassinations (or attempted) in the US & riots at the conventions.

The Troubles.

The National Front.

Weell... there's Watergate of course. :)

The German Red Army Faction kidnappings & bombings.

The Munich Olympics.

Fascist Bombings in European cities.

European airport massacres by Islamic Jihadists of the era in Athens and Vienna.

Ronald Reagan & Margaret Thatcher.

Airline hijackings, hostages in Beirut, Panam/Lockerbie bombing.

Oh... just a thirty year long embedded, organised and well funded miitary grade armed terrrorist operation in England waging a weekly, bloody war - aka the PIRA.

The Iranian Embassy siege.

The Iran Contra affair.

The Iran/Iraq war.

Brixton, Toxteth riots.

Saddam nerve gassing the Kurdish people for shits.

The Cold War.

1990s...

Same shite, different calender mate.

So, in general, I agree with this. The world does get better, in aggregate, with each passing year (global warming aside, although we could argue that each year brings progress).

However, Trump is such a wildcard, that he injects so much anxiety into the present thetnit makes today’s events feel much more stressful than in the past

Really would feel more confident in Doug Jones' chances if he had run with some substance and not as "I'm not him!" Still, today's going to get super weird no matter what.

If Jones had run on substance, he'd get clobbered. The reality is that on "substance", he's way, way out of step with most voters in that state (the majority of who support Trumps "agenda"). Hence making it a character referendum on Moore.

Not too optimistic about the outcome in AL today. And exit polls are going to be next to useless as many will vote for Moore but not admit to it.

If Jones had run on substance, he'd get clobbered. The reality is that on "substance", he's way, way out of step with most voters in that state (the majority of who support Trumps "agenda"). Hence making it a character referendum on Moore.
Leftist economic policies (support for single payer, minimum wage increases, etc.) have support across the country. It's too bad that Jones is not a supporter of those popular things and didn't offer many voters something like that which could inspire them to go to the polls.

Leftist economic policies (support for single payer, minimum wage increases, etc.) have support across the country. It's too bad that Jones is not a supporter of those popular things and didn't offer many voters something like that which could inspire them to go to the polls.

Maybe, or maybe not.

Bernie didn't do so well in the South against Clinton. So not sure Jones adopting a left/progressive platform would have done much.

Alabama would rather have a child molester than a progressive.

Bernie didn't do so well in the South against Clinton. So not sure Jones adopting a left/progressive platform would have done much.

The main contributor of his underperformance in the south was that he was unpopular with African Americans, who comprise very significant parts of the population in southern states and an even larger % of the Democratic base that actually turns out to vote.

Maybe, or maybe not.

Alabama would rather have a child molester than a progressive.
I think it's clear that Sanders and his campaign did not know how to campaign outside of the types of states they were used to. They struggled with outreach to minorities, they failed to deliver the message the way they wanted to in many states. Those things were the main contributors to his failure in the Democratic primary.

It would be great to have a DNC that would help candidates like Sanders who hold policy positions that help many people AND appeal to many people. I think the Democrats could learn a thing or two from the tactics of Jeremy Corbyn since the election in the UK.

I'm flabbergasted that the Democrats' choices on the whole are to shame voters and insist they did nothing wrong. They continue to lose and cannot understand why, and it's maddening. They think moving to the center is the right way, and they continue to lose.

Anyway, enough about this, I'm sure everyone thinks I'm BigMacPhisto now for bring this up. Trump's comments about Gillibrand this morning, while par for the course, were particularly unique in their explicit nature, were they not?

The Left is going to lose no matter what. The two sides aren't even playing the same game anymore. It's obvious the GOP will do whatever it takes to claim, and hold on to power.

Is it even feasible to believe that the Democrats would stand by their own Roy Moore? Please do not say Bill Clinton. He didn't molest little girls. He was just a perv (and you could make the point that Bill probably wouldn't have survived in today's climate with the #MeToo ).

We are seeing the Dems purge out their own creeps, and on the other side? Aside from one or two senators (who are quitting), there's been silence. And silence equals acceptance.

If Bernie is still alive and kicking in 2020, throw him out there. Warren too. The Dems will still fight though, and it'll give the GOP the WH again because they fall in line.

What's amazing with all these accusations, stories, issues coming up.....Obama hasn't had one single stain on him. While he may not have been everything the Left wanted, he was by far and away the most professional, and presidential of any politician of my lifetime. Dude had integrity.

Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren should be nowhere near the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

Get someone young and inspiring.

But I do have to agree that the Republicans, as chaotic as they seem to be, do the politics significantly better than the Democrats.

They have the same amount of infighting, but when it's time for vote, they vote for the guy with the R no matter what.

They're also shedding young members a faster than they can create new ones, but on the short term it's working for them, and they have the ability to create enough long term pain right now to make it last a generation.

Last edited:
Who in the D party can rise up? Thoughts were Booker, and the two brothers from TX....but they've already been called ESTABLISHMENT!!! by the progressive side.

Keith Ellision maybe?

The real scary part of all of this is that Trump is filling our courts with Alt Right and Extremists. Judges who aren't even remotely qualified to hold these positions, and they'll be in there for life.

We are going to feel the pain for a long time, and I'm afraid no young whippersnapper from the Left can fix it.

I think Biden would be great, if his age wouldn't be such a problem. He's a straight shooter without being a complete moron. I think Joe would continue Obama's progress

Who in the D party can rise up? Thoughts were Booker, and the two brothers from TX....but they've already been called ESTABLISHMENT!!! by the progressive side.

Keith Ellision maybe?

The real scary part of all of this is that Trump is filling our courts with Alt Right and Extremists. Judges who aren't even remotely qualified to hold these positions, and they'll be in there for life.

We are going to feel the pain for a long time, and I'm afraid no young whippersnapper from the Left can fix it.

I think Biden would be great, if his age wouldn't be such a problem. He's a straight shooter without being a complete moron. I think Joe would continue Obama's progress
Preferably someone we aren't thinking of yet.

Two Democrats give up their Congressional seats in order to advance the awareness and cause for gender equality.

Meanwhile the Republican Party prepares to elect a pedophile to the US Senate - with the full backing of the Republican Party.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming . . . .

Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren should be nowhere near the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.

Get someone young and inspiring.

But I do have to agree that the Republicans, as chaotic as they seem to be, do the politics significantly better than the Democrats.

They have the same amount of infighting, but when it's time for vote, they vote for the guy with the R no matter what.

They're also shedding young members a faster than they can create new ones, but on the short term it's working for them, and they have the ability to create enough long term pain right now to make it last a generation.

I think that tweet today just got Gillibrand into the 2020 race.

Anyway, enough about this, I'm sure everyone thinks I'm BigMacPhisto now for bring this up.

I don't think you're BMP, but I think your assessment that there's overwhelming support for leftist economic policy is a bit out of touch.

There are many that will support concepts of single payer, but once you label it single payer or "leftist economics" they'll run. This is why the Democratic party won't embrace it full on. They have an uphill battle on their hands as to how to communicate these policies. So far the progressive side doesn't really have anyone that can, how do you expect the Democratic party to do so?

Is it even feasible to believe that the Democrats would stand by their own Roy Moore? Please do not say Bill Clinton. He didn't molest little girls. He was just a perv (and you could make the point that Bill probably wouldn't have survived in today's climate with the #MeToo ).

We are seeing the Dems purge out their own creeps, and on the other side? Aside from one or two senators (who are quitting), there's been silence. And silence equals acceptance.

Keith Ellision maybe?

Keith Ellison? Really? You think he's the answer?

You're talking about giving the Democratic party credit for "purging" their bad apples, when Keith Ellison, DNC vice chair, was among the Democrats who endorsed Anthony Weiner for NY mayor after Weiner was forced to resign from the House in disgrace.

And I'll give Dems credit for "purging" their bad apples when they give a Senator from a state with a GOP Governor the boot. In the meantime, while he's nowhere near as bad as Moore, Clinton is a test the Dems back then failed.

Last edited:
The Left is going to lose no matter what. The two sides aren't even playing the same game anymore. It's obvious the GOP will do whatever it takes to claim, and hold on to power.

Exactly. The Democrats could run the best candidate imaginable, but so long as there's a part of the country that refuses to accept basic facts as true, and so long as the GOP continues to do whatever they can to manipulate the system for their own gain, the left is going to be fighting an uphill battle. Not to say they shouldn't try, of course, or that the odds of them winning are impossible, but it is going to be harder.

I fully agree, though, that a younger candidate would be very beneficial, and getting young people out in droves to vote again, and in EVERY election at that, would certainly do wonders to at least try and put a dent in things.

What's amazing with all these accusations, stories, issues coming up.....Obama hasn't had one single stain on him. While he may not have been everything the Left wanted, he was by far and away the most professional, and presidential of any politician of my lifetime. Dude had integrity.

Precisely.

I do believe, though, that that fact certainly explains some of the batshit crazy crap people on the right tried to pin on him. I truly think there were some people who were eager to get some kind of personal dirt on him and use that to take him down. And when that didn't happen-when he wasn't going out and having affairs, or his children weren't acting wild in the White House, or other scandalous things of that sort...or, to be more frank, when he and his family didn't wind up fitting whatever stereotypes they had about black people-it drove them nuts, and they had to resort to making shit up. Hence the birther crap and other similar stupidity.

Of course it is :rolleyes: :|.

Like the others have said, this is the kind of shit the GOP is clearly not afraid to pull to get their way. This is what we on the left are up against. We need to figure out how to combat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom