US Politics V - now with 20% more echo chamber - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #601
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Apparently all that is required to be POTUS is to give a speech.

No background in law
No background in government

While I think Oprah would be a better President than Trump, it would still be a disaster and a joke.

Let's not forget about the Rock. He could get the youth vote!
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

I will say, though, that if Oprah honest to God did decide to run for president, and Trump didn't take that as an opportunity to just pack it in right then and there, that would be proof of just how big an idiot he really is.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #602
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Special counsel Robert S. Mueller III has raised the likelihood with President Trump’s legal team that his office will seek an interview with the president, triggering a discussion among his attorneys about how to avoid a sit-down encounter or set limits on such a session, according to two people familiar with the talks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.0fae66834d74

Old 01-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #603
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

I will say, though, that if Oprah honest to God did decide to run for president, and Trump didn't take that as an opportunity to just pack it in right then and there, that would be proof of just how big an idiot he really is.
I actually think Trump would beat Oprah pretty handily.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #604
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
I actually think Trump would beat Oprah pretty handily.

I think anyone, save carefully groomed characterless democrat politicians like Tim Kaine/Cory Booker or any "safe bets," can defeat Donald Trump with relative ease.

So sad to say, Oprah would probably have it a lot easier than any politician in today's day and age.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #605
Blue Crack Distributor

OpRock 2020
Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #606
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I think anyone, save carefully groomed characterless democrat politicians like Tim Kaine/Cory Booker or any "safe bets," can defeat Donald Trump with relative ease.

So sad to say, Oprah would probably have it a lot easier than any politician in today's day and age.
No to all of the above.

Assuming he's not indicted, I think Trump has a decent chance of winning in 2020, and I certainly think he'd beat Oprah Winfrey.

The conventional wisdom you've expressed here is frankly the same conventional wisdom that said he didn't stand a chance against "the most qualified candidate in history". That's not a criticism...I'm no exception, I certainly didn't give Trump any real chance of winning (though I did predict he'd get the GOP nomination).
Old 01-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #607
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:02 PM
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with so many people seriously thinking she should run.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #608
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Julian Assange doesn't need money... dude's probably rolling in bitcoin dough
lol I read that as "bitchin' dough." that works, too.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #609
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think social media has made politicians into celebrities, and the lines have been blurred to the average, low-info voter. So why not Oprah?

No matter that we know very little about her political views or whether her personal life could withstand scrutiny. Or that she's as utterly unqualified to sit in that office as the buffoon who currently occupies it (even if she is a decent person and he is not). She made a good speech at the Golden Globes, so of course she should be President.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #610
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
No to all of the above.

Assuming he's not indicted, I think Trump has a decent chance of winning in 2020, and I certainly think he'd beat Oprah Winfrey.

The conventional wisdom you've expressed here is frankly the same conventional wisdom that said he didn't stand a chance against "the most qualified candidate in history". That's not a criticism...I'm no exception, I certainly didn't give Trump any real chance of winning (though I did predict he'd get the GOP nomination).
You're failing to account for turnout.

Many Obama voters stayed home in 2016. You're crazy if they think they will again, and the number of votes he won by in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin wouldn't fill a college football stadium.

And he's less popular now than he was in 2016.

The Dems should fold if they fail in 2018 and 2020.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #611
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Quote:
No to all of the above.
Ok.

Quote:

But that's not what I'm doing. My "conventional wisdom" wasn't that he had no chance. It's that Clinton and Trump were two of the most hated candidates we've ever seen. In a battle of who was hated more, Trump arguably won, but Clinton coming in a close second was ultimately her demise.

Trump would still be hated. Probably more so than before. Bannonism has been muddled up. Trump has been painted in all the scandal - like it or not - that Clinton has been. Regardless of what you believe and what you don't, that's what he's becoming.

Trump only stands a chance in a negative world. His best move was always to deny and deflect. With outsiders, he has absolutely no chance. With insiders, he can still win.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #612
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No to all of the above.

The crazy pills are being passed around I see.

A woman who is hated, still won the pop vote by how much?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #613
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yeah, that's it. I'm crazy. But I'm a stable crazy.

I doubt Oprah could even get the Democratic nomination.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #614
Blue Crack Addict

I can't imagine Oprah running. I feel like she's just a good sarcastic name to throw in to mock Trump.

But in hypotheticals, I imagine she would be very hard to touch. She would get the Sanders benefit. Hard to hate, even if not hard to dislike.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #615
Blue Crack Distributor

She inflicted Dr Oz/Dr Phil quackery and Jenny McCarthy's shitty opinions on us, which is a strike against her.

I have huge respect and admiration for Oprah (Oz/Phil bullshit aside), but have spent the bulk of my day arguing with people on Facebook about why I think it's a terrible idea that she run. I am frankly surprised how many of my FB friends were arguing for her running. (Not, like, a ton of friends, but more than one, which is still more than I expected.)
Old 01-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #616
Blue Crack Addict

The issue in 2016 was not that the Democrats failed to run a celebrity.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #617
Blue Crack Addict

Well, most people just regurgitate what they hear. She's trending right now. How many people have actually put thought into her being president? To be honest, the very thought is celebrity + woman + black + liberal. Perfect modern day democratic candidate.

Sometimes, well, all the time, I fear we focus too much on superficial things. It's okay to elect an old white man if he supports the right values and has the right experience. Barack Obama was the first black president, and though a dark horse candidate, was qualified and represented the right values. Hillary Clinton was a qualified candidate.

They were chosen based upon merit. Not some cute accessory about their skin color or gender. That's not an insult to Oprah's intellect or even ability to lead. She's just lacks the experience to be president. Shockingly, probably even more so than Donald Trump. Though, in her case, I think her inexperience versus his probably means fuck all, considering she has responsibility and ethics and he's just a fuckwad.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #618
Blue Crack Addict

I think that Nick doesn’t quite understand Oprah as somebody who lives on Europe. The woman’s following and deep devotion among suburban women is a tale of legend.

I think that she would absolutely crush him.

Which is in no way an endorsement of her, but if we are in the era of celebrity I truthfully can’t think of a single one better suited to run for President and win than her.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #619
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think that Nick doesn’t quite understand Oprah as somebody who lives on Europe. The woman’s following and deep devotion among suburban women is a tale of legend.

I think that she would absolutely crush him.

Which is in no way an endorsement of her, but if we are in the era of celebrity I truthfully can’t think of a single one better suited to run for President and win than her.

And I certainly agree with this.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #620
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oh for crying out loud, I know how popular Oprah is.

I don't care how popular as a talk show host she is. I think Oprah's popularity is a mile wide and an inch deep. The second she announces she's running, her "approval" rating drops 20+ points. The second she takes a stance on any issue, another 10. That's how politics works. And if "American suburban women" vote for her because they liked her talk show and her chats with Dr. Phil, then, sorry, American suburban women are as big idiots as those white working class males who voted for Trump. I'm guessing, and hoping, they have more sense than that. Didn't suburban white women (the Democrats anyway) go for HRC over Obama in the 2008 Democratic Primary, despite O's endorsement of Obama? And weren't a lot of O's fans annoyed with her when she broke her usual policy and endorsed Obama?

And I have zero indication from her career that she could withstand a Presidential primary or general election campaign. Nor that she has the skills to deflect and overcome lack of experience the way Trump did. To be frank, the only people I see taking this seriously are the celebrity press, news talking heads who want to push a story and people whose knowledge of politics is limited to their Twitter feed.

And if the Democrats nominate her they're just as ignorant as the Republicans who nominated Trump. I'd hope as a party the Dems would have more sense than that...but probably not. And if she somehow did run and win, I think in her own way she'd be as much of a disaster as Trump. The best thing about this happening would be seeing her Dem primary opponents try to run against Oprah without daring to say a single negative thing about her.

You guys are probably right, and I'm probably wrong. Oprah Winfrey could be elected President, and a lot of Americans would think that would be just great. So hey, if America elects Donald Trump, then Oprah Winfrey, you get the Government you deserve.

Quote:
Well, most people just regurgitate what they hear. She's trending right now. How many people have actually put thought into her being president? To be honest, the very thought is celebrity + woman + black + liberal. Perfect modern day democratic candidate.
Yep.