US Politics V - now with 20% more echo chamber - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #221
War Child

Local Time: 12:30 AM
A Moore loss is great news.

Although it might have been fun to watch the Republicans go after him and boot him out of the Senate.

Still, a bit disconcerting that the race was this close.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Charles Barkley made the difference. Seriously though, I loved when he said last night that Alabama's been stuck in a time warp. Is he an "elite"?

Old 12-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:30 AM
I think in VA and AL it’s shown that staying close to the center can win.

Tho in AL it took a child molester to go blue
Old 12-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
I think in VA and AL it’s shown that staying close to the center can win.
I think it's far more than that.

African Americans won this in Alabama. PERIOD. The turnout was larger than for Barack Obama, for heaven's sake. AA women voted 98-2 for Jones...the are the MOST reliable voting block in America, easily.

This is fertile ground - as I have been saying, there are far more votes among minority groups who typically don't vote than this notion that meeting bigots in the middle will somehow change a few hearts and minds.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Fly View Post
A Moore loss is great news.

Although it might have been fun to watch the Republicans go after him and boot him out of the Senate.

Still, a bit disconcerting that the race was this close.
REpublicans are all talk, no action! They would have found some stupid excuse to keep him in because it fits their agenda. Nothing would have happened because they are all cowards. Party over country. Remember Ryan? When during the trump election what he said of trump? And how he reacted after trump won? It was nothing but support of him after winning.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think it's far more than that.

African Americans won this in Alabama. PERIOD. The turnout was larger than for Barack Obama, for heaven's sake. AA women voted 98-2 for Jones...the are the MOST reliable voting block in America, easily.
I'm not sure I agree with this. While it's true that the AA vote was larger than for Obama, it was only slightly so...and Obama still lost Alabama by 28 points.

Certainly, Jones didn't stand a chance without historic AA turnout, but that would not have mattered if sensible Republicans either voted for Jones, stayed home, or wrote in another candidate.

Let's put it this way...even with that large AA turnout, if the GOP ran a candidate without Moore'e baggage, Jone would certainly have lost.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post

Let's put it this way...even with that large AA turnout, if the GOP ran a candidate without Moore'e baggage, Jone would certainly have lost.
If they didn't run a flat out racists like him. His sexual baggage I think had nothing to do with the elevated AA vote. It was his glorifying slavery that did it.

40% of this country did not vote. 30% voted for Trump. Roughly.

We need to stop obsessing about the "pain" the 30% feel and their "economic anxiety" and whatever else. Concentrate on the 40%. Some of the 30% will come around because Trump is so loathsome but most of them will NEVER come around, they are the base.

That's my only point. And it seems totally divorced from reality that people persistently push us to find some middle ground with people who will by and large never change when there is a MUCH larger group of people out there with whom you potentially have a chance. It's just total insanity.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #228
Blue Crack Addict

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tor/945181001/
Old 12-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
If they didn't run a flat out racists like him. His sexual baggage I think had nothing to do with the elevated AA vote. It was his glorifying slavery that did it.
His sexual baggage elevated AA vote in an important way...it drew national attention and elevated the race, which always increases turnout. Not to mention the huge amounts of money that poured into the Jones campaign that he was able to put into GOTV operations (which were aimed primarily at AA voters). Even with Moore's other baggage, the race really wasn't considered competitive until the sexual allegations came out.

And it goes without saying that the sexual baggage played a significant role in depressing GOP turnout, along with cross over and write in voting.

That said, I do agree that if the "Obama constituency" comes out in 2008 & 2012 numbers in 2018, Democrats can win a lot more races, including taking over the House and perhaps the Senate. But in Alabama, I think what mostly was going on here is Moore being a deeply compromised candidate.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #230
Blue Crack Supplier

An encouraging takeaway from this race is that you may need Trump to win the primary, but you cannot win with Trump in the general. His racism motivates mi origins, his misogyny motivates women, and his crass stupidity motivates white educated suburbanites who may want lower taxes but are repulsed by him. This is the new coalition, and this is the D task for 2018.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #231
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:30 PM
Someone apparently took over Anderson Cooper’s Twitter and called Trump a ‘tool’ and ‘pathetic loser’
Old 12-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #232
Blue Crack Addict

US Politics V - now with 20% more echo chamber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
That said, I do agree that if the "Obama constituency" comes out in 2008 & 2012 numbers in 2018, Democrats can win a lot more races, including taking over the House and perhaps the Senate. But in Alabama, I think what mostly was going on here is Moore being a deeply compromised candidate.

Again, my point is that the voters who do not vote usually (mostly minority) are who the Dems should pursue. Give up on the Deplorables - they can rejoin polite society at their leisure.

The DNC apparently finally gets it as their Vice Chair is now on record saying they will specifically target African American voters. So you can bet that the numbers support that hypothesis.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #233
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Give up on the Deplorables - they can rejoin polite society at their leisure.
Shh, you’re not supposed to call the folks that happily voted for a pedophile, a president that suggested a senator was performing sexual favors, and find nazis to be fine people that - they’re just decent disenfranchised folks.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Would a universal income help sway Coal Country away from the GOP?

Knowing that fossil fuels will not be around forever, and that automation is killing the blue collar workforce, could something like universal income help lessen the blow of “Dey took mehhh job!!” ?

It may help with the perception that us liberals are all elitist and don’t care about those who didn’t adapt (by choice or not) to the changing times.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #235
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Again, my point is that the voters who do not vote usually (mostly minority) are who the Dems should pursue. Give up on the Deplorables - they can rejoin polite society at their leisure.

The DNC apparently finally gets it as their Vice Chair is now on record saying they will specifically target African American voters. So you can bet that the numbers support that hypothesis.

This means big things for Booker.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #236
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd just like to point out that 47-48% of that state still felt it was just fine and dandy to vote for a child molester who thinks we were better off before the emancipation proclamation.

But hey, he has a lawyer who's Jewish. So we can hang our hat there.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

If they're going to target minority voters, they sure as hell better make combating voter suppression and gerrymandering a major part of the platform going forward. There were still a lot of horror stories yesterday in Alabama about clampdowns on minority voting. They declared large swathes of minority communities "Inactive" voters, which meant they needed to be able to confirm various pieces of information at the polling place that they might not know offhand. And Alabama is so gerrymandered that Roy Moore won in six of the state's seven congressional districts.

Also, you know, supporting economic policies that achieve justice for minorities would be a good strategy as well.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #238
Blue Crack Distributor

The DOJ / WH campaign to discredit Mueller and his team has started.

And, perhaps, has backfired already.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So there are stories out there about how the FBI, and Rudy conspired to release a bunch of bullshit stories on Clinton a few weeks before the election.

I know the Dems are looking at investigating this, but where's the outrage for that part of the FBI? The employees/agents who didn't like Clinton.

Instead we focus on a dude who sent a few texts saying exactly what a majority of the nation thinks? Can we just release every email ever written so we have all bases covered?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #240
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Can we just release every email ever written so we have all bases covered?