US Politics IV - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2017, 02:11 AM   #741
Refugee

Local Time: 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
No.

It's not something to be blasé about.
Blasé? Was just a question dude.

Another non-blasé question: is it North Korea's foreign policy objective to invade South Korea? Or Japan?

Old 11-29-2017, 02:16 AM   #742
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:20 AM
For sure, but I'd argue it's Kim milking Trump for every minute of fame he can get. I'd venture to say Trump is far more willing to go to war than Kim is.

As for the ICBM going "ten times higher than the ISS" or whatever bullshit Mattis is fapping to as he cleans out is gun... stahpppppp. They know how to make rockets. Making a nuclear warhead is a lot more worrisome than making a rocket. And making a rocket pinpoint its target is a lot more worrisome than making a rocket fly high.

Repeat: making a big rocket isn't difficult. There's nothing threatening about having "more range." If they wanted to have infinite range a year ago they could've. Scalable technology. These rockets are probably literally just bigger versions of the last one they launched.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #743
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:20 AM
The president of the United States has now resorted to tweeting fight videos.

Fuck you deplorables, fuck you all
Old 11-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #744
Blue Crack Addict

https://www.thedailybeast.com/report...ama-birtherism
Old 11-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #745
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
The president of the United States has now resorted to tweeting fight videos.

Fuck you deplorables, fuck you all

Videos from UK white supremacists.

Something big must be coming.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #746
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:20 PM
Quote:
Unless you’re talking about tin foil hat Trump followers on Twitter, NO ONE who follows this thought Kim would back down based on Trump’s dick waving.
I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. I wasn't suggesting any experts, Republican or Democrat, were endorsing Trump's Tweet strategy or thought it would work. In fact most said it likely wouldn't work. I'm talking about endorsement of the "peace through strength" doctrine in general. During the ten week "pause" North Korea had on testing, there were experts who said that such a strategy can be appropriate in these situations, and were commenting that perhaps there was some movement in Pyongyang during this period. It wasn't so much "it's working" as, "well, maybe there's something there."

And a "peace through strength" is in fact a legitimate way of dealing with people like Kim, even if Trump is completely devoid of the deftness and discipline to effectively carry out such a strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Israel didn't launch test missiles towards Iran...

I give Trump this... He didn't create this issue. It should have been dealt with a long time ago. Alas, North Korea isn't sitting on a pool of oil so we allowed it to get to this point.

Trump being in charge when the issue might finally come to a head is fucking terrifying.
Yes to both points.

I don't take seriously the arguments of anyone who compares North Korea to Israel, a stable democracy (whatever you think of their treatment of Palestinians), or the US. It's frankly the stupidest kind of false equivalence.

I similarly can't take seriously any arguments that North Korea isn't a threat because their technology doesn't allow them to do x yet (and x changes with seemingly every launch). Again, we've been saying that for 20 years, and incrementally they get closer and closer to their goal. To suggest they're not a threat and mock their capabilities is stick your head in the sand denialism. It's like having a fire raging ten miles from your house and saying "it's still ten miles away" and the next day saying "it's still five miles away" and so on until it's too late.

I understand the instinct to be skeptical and against something simply because Trump's going on about it. But it's not just Trump and Manafort. Most arms experts are saying North Korea is a becoming a legitimate nuclear threat.

Quote:
You are far too smart for this.
You've seen me in these politics threads. I had my shot. I'm the hunted one. You give me far too much credit kid. I ain't that clever.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 AM   #747
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Videos from UK white supremacists.

Something big must be coming.
Indeed.

Flynn announcement?
Old 11-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #748
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Most arms experts are saying North Korea is a becoming a legitimate nuclear threat.
Do you have any more info on this?

Quote:
You've seen me in these politics threads. I had my shot. I'm the hunted one. You give me far too much credit kid. I ain't that clever.

I said smart, clever is a rare gift
Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #749
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Indeed.

Flynn announcement?

There’s been a lot of articles released over the past few weeks related to him, so that’s best guess.

Trump’s actions appear to be the the attempts to cause as much shit and damage before the House comes tumbling down.

IF Flynn did flip, have to imagine the other dominos fall pretty quick. There has to be so much information though that we can’t assume this investigation is even close to being over
Old 11-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #750
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Do you have any more info on this?
Sure. But this really isn't anything new. They've been incrementally building to this for twenty years.

Threat From North Korea No Longer Hypothetical, Arms Experts Warn
“It’s the next logical step that we were expecting."
Old 11-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #751
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Of course he is .

But nope, he's totally not a racist at all.

I really hope there's something big occurring with all this stuff related to Flynn that will break very, very soon, something that can assuredly sink Trump once and for all. He honest to God cannot leave the White House fast enough at this point.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:29 PM   #752
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The saddest part about all of this is that the GOP could do something about this. They could have ended this at any number of issues that have come up since day fucking one.

Instead, they are so afraid of the Trump base that they're willing to allow our country, and potentially the world fall into complete and utter chaos (more so than usual). The GOP could still do what they want with Pence, and Trump isn't even a "real" republican.

But it comes down to fear of losing their seats in 2018, and 2020. Enough of a backlash by the deplorables, and the Dems take over
Old 11-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #753
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 07:20 AM
Completely agreed. It's especially frustrating that any attempts at impeachment, or pushing for it, will be seen as "partisan" because the GOP doesn't have enough of a spine to actually do anything and lend their support to the Democrats. This could be such a perfect opportunity for both parties to put aside their differences and work together, to show the citizens they truly care about the safety and future of our country by trying to rein Trump in, if not ousting him altogether so that the adults can actually do their jobs.

But nope. Can't have that, I guess. The GOP has just completely lost the plot altogether. Their thought process and actions are just so alien and bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
The GOP could still do what they want with Pence, and Trump isn't even a "real" republican.
YES. That's the part that mystifies me, too. If they really want their agenda to go through, you'd think they'd stick with somebody who isn't the kind of negative distraction that Trump is, somebody who could actually get things done for them, and who fits more with their precious "traditional Christian values" agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
But it comes down to fear of losing their seats in 2018, and 2020. Enough of a backlash by the deplorables, and the Dems take over
And it says something about them that they care more about those people and their ignorant, backwards views than they do any other voters.

If they do lose in the midterms, and lose big at that, I'm going to laugh. They would absolutely deserve that kind of loss, and would only have themselves to blame for it happening.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #754
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

In their own way Democrats are just as invested as Trump remaining in the WH as Republicans are. There's a reason why no member of the Democratic leadership has called for Trump's impeachment.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #755
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
In their own way Democrats are just as invested as Trump remaining in the WH as Republicans are. There's a reason why no member of the Democratic leadership has called for Trump's impeachment.
I can kinda see this, but I also don't know what good it does the Dems to call for something that they cannot control.

They are already the snowflake party, and by constantly focusing on removing Trump it could be seen as them being sore losers and too sensitive.

I would like to see them stand up to him a little more though. Don't have to call for impeachment every day, but maybe just call out how fucking stupid his decisions are.

They need to take a page out of Trump/Bernie's book and literally dumb down their message about "Tax cuts for 1% BAD!!!" "Healthcare for all Good!"

We learned with Clinton that policy talk is boring and no one cares. You need a good slogan and brand
Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #756
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

While there’s some political strategy in using Trump as the albatross that gets them back the house and maybe senate in 2018 (still a bad map for them, tho), there’s realistically not much they can do as a minority party. And if they were to start calling for impeachment now, it would eat a bit “boil the frog” for when it really could happen, either after the Russia collusion is revealed, they win back the house, or another 15 women come forward.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #757
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

It's not really a question of not calling for it because they can't control the process or pull it off. The minority party calls for stuff they can't control and has zero chance of happening all the time. That's what minority parties do. You could argue that they should call for it just to make stand (as some of the more progressive members of Congress have done...though notably not in the leadership). Nothing would ever happen unless Pelosi and Schemer signed on. And they wouldn't do it unless a majority of their caucus was behind the idea.

But the reason they don't is for the same reason Republicans stick with him....the 2018 midterms. If Republicans turn on Trump, it depresses their base and they're afraid (with good reason) that they'll get decimated in the elections.

On the other hand, if Dems call for Trump's impeachment, it only motivates Trump's base. It also could look like overreach, ala the GOP and Bill Clinton, and backfire. I'm not comparing Clinton's bad behaviour to Trump's insanity, just pointing that it is a political concern that the Democratic leadership seems cognisant of. And keep in mind Dems have to win in Trump states and districts if they're going to have a chance of taking back Congress.

And of course, if they somehow succeeded in getting rid of Trump, they wouldn't have him to run against anymore. No matter what you think of Pence's politics, he puts on a much more reasonable face than Trump and could actually be much more effective in moving the conservative agenda, which at the moment is stalled under Trump. I don't think Democrats want that either. What they have now is a buffoon in the WH that can't get stuff done. It's great for the party, even if it's not so good for America.

I'm not saying there's equivalence between Republicans enabling Trump and Democrats benefiting from his sheer awfulness and unpopularity. But both parties are in fact acting politically. Which after all is what politicians do.

On a completely different note, Aaron Sorkin recently gave the best one line description of Trump I've ever read. I literally LOL'd when I read it..."Trump is exactly what he looks like: a really dumb guy with an observable psychiatric disorder"
Old 11-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #758
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I see there's a trend on social media about NBC to release the Apprentice Tapes since they fired Matt Lauer over allegations.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #759
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:20 AM
You know what? No matter what he's saying or doing on those tapes, it won't make any difference.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #760
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

NBC doesn't have those tapes, and I don't believe they even owned that show.

And even if they did, and released them, as Cori said it wouldn't make a difference.