US Politics IV - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #401
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Watch the VA race tomorrow. It shouldn’t be close, it is. Gillespie is playing filthy, nasty white identity politics, and it seems to be working.

If it does, we are in for years of ugliness as a white population in decline — in so many ways — lashes out.
The ads Gillespie has been running are shockingly disgusting. I didn't think ads like that were a thing anymore.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #402
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:18 PM
Trump lowered the bar. I'm not so much afraid of him, but what follows him. He has shown not just the US, but the world what can be achieved by being a racist moron. A rich one of course.

So who shows up next? People always degrade a current leader as "the next Hitler", but could there actually be the next one just waiting under the surface? One who isn't as fucking stupid as Trump. Who doesn't collude (as openly) with a foreign enemy. Someone who taps into the same energy Trump did, but with more social tact to appear better to urban America. Trump didn't even really TRY to win this thing. He was in it for himself, for his ego. Russia obviously had some influence, but a large portion of the country wanted this (and a outdated electoral system gave it to him)

I don't know how the bar gets raised. Doubtful James Cameron saves us

Old 11-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #403
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:18 PM
I keep hearing talk of Sanders running again for 2020. Dude would be 80. Do we trust him to drive the country for four years at that age? I'd even say Clinton would be pushing it in 4 years

Sheesh, where are the younger politicians?

This might be ageist of me and I'll own up to that, but that honestly worries me.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #404
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I keep hearing talk of Sanders running again for 2020. Dude would be 80. Do we trust him to drive the country for four years at that age? I'd even say Clinton would be pushing it in 4 years

Sheesh, where are the younger politicians?

This might be ageist of me and I'll own up to that, but that honestly worries me.

It's not. Clinton/Biden/Sanders/Warren will all be too old for 2020. I hope none of them run as anything other than a VP, as it must be viewed as an 8 year role. I think they're all good for 4 years, though. Otherwise it'll hamper their bid and risk losing the election.

The democrats have an age crisis for prominent members.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #405
Blue Crack Distributor

Dang, I didn't realize Warren was in her late 60s!
Old 11-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #406
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Dang, I didn't realize Warren was in her late 60s!

She actually might be a suitable age upon consideration. I thought she was 71.

Anyways though, yeah, it's got to be a careful consideration. I would say pushing 80s is too old and will be criticized.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #407
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Trump lowered the bar. I'm not so much afraid of him, but what follows him. He has shown not just the US, but the world what can be achieved by being a racist moron. A rich one of course.

So who shows up next? People always degrade a current leader as "the next Hitler", but could there actually be the next one just waiting under the surface? One who isn't as fucking stupid as Trump. Who doesn't collude (as openly) with a foreign enemy. Someone who taps into the same energy Trump did, but with more social tact to appear better to urban America. Trump didn't even really TRY to win this thing. He was in it for himself, for his ego. Russia obviously had some influence, but a large portion of the country wanted this (and a outdated electoral system gave it to him)

I don't know how the bar gets raised. Doubtful James Cameron saves us
Dick Spencer would be that man - but thankfully he gets punched and/or heckled wherever he goes so that'd keep him down for a while.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #408
Blue Crack Addict

What about Kirsten Gillibrand?

I just watched Donna Brazile on the CBS Morning Show. She's out promoting her book and she was very uncomfortable when asked directly about the things she said about Hillary in the book. Even Obama. Nothing wrong with her honesty but don't put it in a book to sell books then squirm and get defensive when you have to talk about it.

It was all just cringeworthy, no wonder the Democratic party is an f ed up mess. Hillary's campaign was too, and the clown reaped that reward. Lots of infighting and immaturity and egos above what mattered.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #409
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:18 PM
The party has no message. Or clear one.

They get sucked into identity politics, or the perception is (which is reality...)

They somehow appear more the party of Wall Street (Hillary’s transcripts!!!) than the GOP, yet every GOP bill favors only the rich.

I do agree they should take on a lot of Bernie talk. At least have something to stand on. But they are going up against a machine of lunacy. Nothing matters to the GOP, not anymore. They are the religious right party who nominated a sexual predator, multiple married, non religious moron to their throne.

So for the Dems, keep the message simple. They won’t win the election with facts anymore
Old 11-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Dick Spencer would be that man - but thankfully he gets punched and/or heckled wherever he goes so that'd keep him down for a while.
did you see his interview with Gary Younge? omg my skin is crawling!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #411
Blue Crack Addict

The truth is that the Democratic Party really suffered under Obama in the sense that he did not do what he could to promote the party and encourage growth from within. I like him but he was elected more on his personality than the strength of the party and he carried on the same way. This has left a pretty large hole in the ranks and they will have a lot of growing pains now trying to come up with the next generation.

I think Bruce Springsteen should run, I mean if we're in the era of celebrities, why the hell not. At least then those men of Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc, would be in a bit of a pickle as to how to vote. I am only half joking.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #412
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

President Obama's failure to expand the Democratic party....in fact it was decimated during his eight years...is partially the reason he won't be regarded as the "transformative" President he wanted to be, ala Jackson, Lincoln, FDR and in particular, Reagan.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #413
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure Obama frequently looked up to Reagan.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #414
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Politically, no. Of course not. But Obama said one more than occasion that he hoped to be a transformational president, like Reagan...and unlike Bill Clinton.

It's possible to recognize Reagan as a transformative President (which he was) without agreeing with the way he transformed the country, and its politics.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #415
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I know, I was just teasing the thought.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #416
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well actually, Obama used to have semi-regular roundtables with leading historians, some of whom later reported that Obama expressed his admiration for Reagan's style in handling his Presidency, even if he disagreed politically. Though one can only imagine that he wasn't refering to Iran-Contra in speaking of his admiration.

President Obama was very concerned about his place in history, and he really did want to be a transformative, and not merely good or even great President.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #417
Blue Crack Addict

After the 10-20 year delay needed for assessment, history will treat him very well IMO.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #418
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Yes, these things take time. Certainly he'll be given credit, and rightfully so, for righting the ship on the American economy, for example.

As for whether he'll ultimately be regarded as a transformative President, and one of the all time greats, will depend on how much of his signature achievements survive. All of that took a big blow when Clinton lost. Obama apparently thought her victory was crucial to his long term legacy, simply because she would have solidified and continued his most important achievements. Which Trump is now working to undue (with mixed results so far).

Of course that's to say nothing of what happened to the Democratic party during his time in office. Both FDR and Reagan significantly strengthened and expanded their respective parties while in office, and doing so change the political paradigm for decades.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #419
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
did you see his interview with Gary Younge? omg my skin is crawling!
Yes! I was considering mentioning it, because on one hand Gary was brilliantly fearless in confronting him - and virtually cornered him - and on the other it was clear that despite how odious Spencer is, he is really an intellectual lightweight who deserves to be punched as much as possible.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #420
Blue Crack Distributor

On the one hand, I wish people would stop giving that shitbird air time.

On the other hand, I wish all journalists would treat him like Younge did.