US Politics IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you feel a momentary sense of peace this afternoon?

Trump's Twitter was deleted accidentally for about 11 minutes.

Edit: ha ha, it was an employee going out with a bang on his last day.

#NotAllHeroesWearCapes

Last edited:
because you didn't really want to get any sleep tonight ...

The sheer absurdity of the tale is familiar these days, reminiscent of “Pizzagate,” the bonkers story about Democrats running a child prostitution ring out of a DC pizza joint. Even after it went viral on Reddit and some jacked-up angry white guy showed up at Comet Pizza with a gun, it still had the scent of parody. It is quite simply impossible for most people to imagine believing all the things that would be required to also believe that DC Democrats are into organized child trafficking.

It is similarly difficult for most people to imagine believing that Hillary Clinton has had multiple people killed, that Obama is a secret Muslim who wasn’t born in the US, that Trump had millions of votes stolen, that Barack Obama wiretapped Trump’s White House, that Seth Rich (the mid-level Democratic staffer who was tragically murdered) was assassinated for stealing DNC emails and giving them to WikiLeaks, or that Antifa, the fringe anti-fascist movement, will begin going door-to-door, killing white people, starting on November 4.

And yet millions of Americans fervently believe these things. Different polls find different things, and it’s always difficult to distinguish what people really believe from what they say on surveys. But if 30 percent of America’s 200 million registered voters are Republicans, and 40 percent of those don’t believe Obama was born in the US, well, that’s 24 million people, among them the most active participants in Republican politics.

In short, an increasingly large chunk of Americans believes a whole bunch of crazy things, and it is warping our politics.

This basic story has been told plenty of times (my longer version is here), but the reason we should not let it out of our sights right now is the Mueller investigation.

As Ezra Klein laid out, there is enough on the record now to make it at the very least highly probable that there was collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, meant to affect the outcome of the election. Er, despite what Trump says.

We don’t know yet if Mueller has the goods — documentary or testimonial proof of explicit collusion — or if he can get them, so we have no idea how this is ultimately going to play out.

But we are disturbingly close to the following scenario:

Say Mueller reveals hard proof that the Trump campaign knowingly colluded with Russia, strategically using leaked emails to hurt Clinton’s campaign. Say the president — backed by the Wall Street Journal editorial page, Fox News, Breitbart, most of the US Cabinet, half the panelists on CNN, most of the radio talk show hosts in the country, and an enormous network of Russian-paid hackers and volunteer shitposters working through social media — rejects the evidence.

They might say Mueller is compromised. It’s a Hillary/”deep state” plot. There’s nothing wrong with colluding with Russia in this particular way. Dems did it first. All of the above. Whatever.

Say the entire right-wing media machine kicks to life and dismisses the whole thing as a scam — and conservatives believe them. The conservative base remains committed to Trump, politicians remain scared to cross the base, and US politics remains stuck in partisan paralysis, unable to act on what Mueller discovers.

In short, what if Mueller proves the case and it’s not enough? What if there is no longer any evidentiary standard that could overcome the influence of right-wing media?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/2/16588964/america-epistemic-crisis

there's so much more.

:crack:

So what's the answer to that sobering what if?

I said a year ago it felt like the US appeared to be too divided to have any options left, short of separating into different nation states. Is that slowly happening before our eyes?

I️ think Sessions is fucked, but don’t know if it’s a setup for him.

Imagine if Sessions has also been wearing a wire? His motivation could have come from Trump bullying him earlier in the year.

I️ think these are the targets

Flynn
Trump Jr
Kushner
Sessions
Trump

I️ think we get conspiracy against USA charges as well as money laundering for Trump

I think getting one of Trump/Trump Jr/Sessions/Kushner is probably the goal at this point - assuming the special counsel believes but has a hard time proving criminal activity from atop the campaign.

I don't know if it's a set up either but Sessions is the obvious fall guy. Trump basically can't stand him and thinks he's a weakling. He has no loyalty and Sessions will be thrown to the wolves if that's what it takes.

Yep, he's singing to the feds.

Irvine's post is what scares me the most. That we've come so far into the world of "feelings" that facts won't matter. So whatever Mueller finds, assuming it puts Trump in legal trouble, the GOP won't do anything about it because they can't lose the 30 million base that won't believe it's true.

That's always a possibility... but Trump's ratings are down to 33%. We may never convince that 33% that he's anything other than a demigod; but he's lost the moderate Republicans that broke his way in the election. I doubt they'd mind a President Pence.

Then again, a President Pence is frightening enough in its own right...

Yes he is, but I don't fear him as much as Trump. Though I don't have a lot to fear, I'm a white straight male.

Three GOP senators have introduced a bill to force Mueller to resign. The reasoning, Mueller was head of FBI when Uranium One deal was made.

Trump has also called on DOJ to prosecute a political opponent 5x in the last 24hours

These are the actions of people who are very scared of what's coming next

That's always a possibility... but Trump's ratings are down to 33%. We may never convince that 33% that he's anything other than a demigod; but he's lost the moderate Republicans that broke his way in the election.

There is probably some room for movement there. Dick Cheney bottomed out at about 19%. Since the country is even more partisan now I'd guess that the floor might be around 25%.

DI0iGH3XcAAo2Z6.jpg

giphy.gif

Yeah, the hotel stuff is going to come up soon and while I’m really intrigued, it’ll be a new low for our country

God imagine if that's how he plays it. He resigns the presidency and spends the last few years of his life being a tv ratings superstar. He'll still feel he's won.

Yep his supporters need not worry, if trump resigns or gets kicked out, I'm sure trump will have a reality tv show up and running for his supporters to eat it up. Trump never really wanted to be president I am sure, all he wanted was raitings and being the subject of attention and conversation. He is getting the attention and conversation for sure. As for the raitings I am sure the low approval polls must be eating him up inside which I totally love.

Fuck Donna Brazile and her totally unnecessary shit-stirring just to sell some books.

Today she's on the talk shows saying "there was no rigging." YOU DON'T SAY. Seriously lady? Get bent.

Get your shit together, democrats.

Fuck Donna Brazile and her totally unnecessary shit-stirring just to sell some books.

Today she's on the talk shows saying "there was no rigging." YOU DON'T SAY. Seriously lady? Get bent.

Get your shit together, democrats.

In fairness, is it Donna Brazile, or is it the media focusing on Donna Brazile? Can't fault her for wanting to write a book / making money. Doesn't seem to me that she's stirring shit. Seems to me that places like Faux News are creating alternative narratives and she's just correcting it.

Yep, what a stupid thing to start up. All to sell books.

Bernie had the same deal with DNC, to raise money to help. He chose not to, or didn’t raise even close to the amount Clinton did.

Other news tho

Charges could be coming soon for Flynn. Lots of chatter that’s he’s been looking for a deal since this all started. Only way Mueller flips him is if he can get Trump on Russia (and not obstruction which probably happens anyway)

In fairness, is it Donna Brazile, or is it the media focusing on Donna Brazile? Can't fault her for wanting to write a book / making money. Doesn't seem to me that she's stirring shit. Seems to me that places like Faux News are creating alternative narratives and she's just correcting it.
Could be. It's just so frustrating.

Yep, what a stupid thing to start up. All to sell books.

Bernie had the same deal with DNC, to raise money to help. He chose not to, or didn’t raise even close to the amount Clinton did.

Other news tho

Charges could be coming soon for Flynn. Lots of chatter that’s he’s been looking for a deal since this all started. Only way Mueller flips him is if he can get Trump on Russia (and not obstruction which probably happens anyway)

BigMacPhisto, if you're around, take a bow :beer:

Re-reading bits of the "2016 US Presidential Election" threads today in regards to the Mrs. Clinton / Bernie race is really something else :whistle:

Your perspective was pretty much on point the whole time, and looking even more so lately...

BigMacPhisto, if you're around, take a bow [emoji481]

Re-reading bits of the "2016 US Presidential Election" threads today in regards to the Mrs. Clinton / Bernie race is really something else :whistle:

Your perspective was pretty much on point the whole time, and looking even more so lately...
Thanks for stopping by :wave:

This is literally the definition of a nothing burger.

Unless you count the Democrats continuing to fuck up their chances for 2018 and 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom