US Politics III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't get over how many folks are upset about Jared's emails, how many chants of "lock him up" I'm hearing, I mean it's incredible. These people take their emails seriously don't they?

I can't get over how many folks are upset about Jared's emails, how many chants of "lock him up" I'm hearing, I mean it's incredible. These people take their emails seriously don't they?

I don't know. I can't hear them over all those people who insisted that white supremacists have the right to say what they want and are likewise now incensed over the notion that black athletes should be fired for their exercise of free speech.

I can't tell if the Jared emails thing is a way of dumbing down the left as a played card by the right, or as a tactless move from the left. Criticizing not-president Jared over this "scandal" is like admitting Clinton was "criminal."

I can't tell if the Jared emails thing is a way of dumbing down the left as a played card by the right, or as a tactless move from the left. Criticizing not-president Jared over this "scandal" is like admitting Clinton was "criminal."

Far from it, it's just calling out hypocrisy. Plain and simple.

Far from it, it's just calling out hypocrisy. Plain and simple.

Oh yeah, it's totally one massive hypocrisy outing, I'm sure.

If a republican of Clinton's standing was put in her shoes for that email "scandal," that person would've suffered the same fate from democrats. The people believe what they want to believe.

Oh yeah, it's totally one massive hypocrisy outing, I'm sure.

If a republican of Clinton's standing was put in her shoes for that email "scandal," that person would've suffered the same fate from democrats. The people believe what they want to believe.

Really?! You see Clinton getting her crowds to chant "lock him up"?

Really?! You see Clinton getting her crowds to chant "lock him up"?

Yeah because that's what I said.

I definitely see Clinton playing it to her advantage as a political tactic. That's all it ever was. If you don't think people legitimately feel Jared Kushner has done something criminal with his email management, and instead it's just some gigantic coy hypocrisy callout, you're not helping the serious problem of disarray currently going on for the progressive front.

Yeah because that's what I said.

I definitely see Clinton playing it to her advantage as a political tactic. That's all it ever was. If you don't think people legitimately feel Jared Kushner has done something criminal with his email management, and instead it's just some gigantic coy hypocrisy callout, you're not helping the serious problem of disarray currently going on for the progressive front.

Wait, I'm part of the problem if I don't think people legitimately feel something criminal was done?

There is so much wrong with that.

Wait, I'm part of the problem if I don't think people legitimately feel something criminal was done?

There is so much wrong with that.

Go on, list these things that are wrong.

Jesus Christ you will never got over just how smart you think you are. It's so condescending.

Go on, list these things that are wrong.

Jesus Christ you will never got over just how smart you think you are. It's so condescending.

You just got finished telling me I'm part of the problem for not thinking the way you do, that's not condescending?

No one should FEEL anything when it comes to the law. And no, it doesn't make me part of the problem if I don't think there's any significant amount of people who actually believe it was a criminal act, because you're right it would mean they turned a blind eye to Clinton doing the same.

You just got finished telling me I'm part of the problem for not thinking the way you do, that's not condescending?

No one should FEEL anything when it comes to the law. And no, it doesn't make me part of the problem if I don't think there's any significant amount of people who actually believe it was a criminal act, because you're right it would mean they turned a blind eye to Clinton doing the same.

Yes because your initial two responses to me weren't already you being you in a nutshell. You're failing to even create a path of logic, but you wanted nothing more than to come and "put me in my place" like you always do.

If you do not see how folks on the left are imitating the folks on the right when they were desperate, and instead you think that everyone who is criticizing Kushner is just being clever as they call out the hypocrisy, you're ignoring the dumbing down of America. Plain and simple. Either that, or you're disconnected with a vast majority of people. Democrats will believe Donald Trump answers to Putin just like Republicans believed Obama was born in Kenya.

People will believe the narrative when it's convenient, not when it's correct. This is by no means an endorsement for the idea that Trump is Russia-clean, before you go off with your assumptions and claims of what I've said (like you normally do).

If you do not see how folks on the left are imitating the folks on the right when they were desperate, and instead you think that everyone who is criticizing Kushner is just being clever as they call out the hypocrisy, you're ignoring the dumbing down of America. Plain and simple. Either that, or you're disconnected with a vast majority of people.

It's none of this. For I don't live in this black and white world where it's all or nothing.

My first response was moreso speaking of the folks in here, and honestly was pretty light hearted. I apologize if you think I was doing anything else.

Yeah, I couldn't really care less about the e-mail server thing either way. That's not to say that there wouldn't be valid concerns worth discussing and bringing up in either situation, mind, but of all the things we can go after Trump and his family for, I think there's far bigger concerns to focus on. When it comes to technological risks, for instance, I'm more troubled over Trump's issues with classified information.

But it is a rather interesting irony regardless.

Yes, among this group and among your immediate friends who might be like minded, you're right. We all appreciate the irony here.

That's not the case for every person though. Ignorant people exist on both sides - it's easy to turn a blind eye to them when they're on your side. Let ignorance breed and you'll have 2020 democratic candidate Mark Cuban or some dumb shit.

I look at my own parents, now Trump supporters, and I'm left trying to figure out what happened. Ignorance happened. They think they know what's going on, but they've never been informed. They're not dumb, they're just ignorant. Well... they're politically dumb as rocks. But that's besides the point. Or... it is the point. The don't have a clue what's going on. They bought the cheesy punchline and understand Trump to be the religious candidate who is saving Christianity from Islam or some shit.

It's none of this. For I don't live in this black and white world where it's all or nothing.

My first response was moreso speaking of the folks in here, and honestly was pretty light hearted. I apologize if you think I was doing anything else.

I agree, nothing is black and white. Sorry for overreacting.

As our Asshole in Chief feigned concern and support for hurricane victims, he compliments TX and Florida as he attacks Puerto Rico's debt and infrastructure.

Fuck The Con and the conned!

And of course, there won't be anything said about helping the people in Mexico impacted by the earthquakes, either, nor any acknowledgment of or thanks to them for the generosity and support they showed towards the U.S. after Harvey. Gotta keep up that negative image of the country in order to get support for that wall, after all.

Yes, among this group and among your immediate friends who might be like minded, you're right. We all appreciate the irony here.

That's not the case for every person though. Ignorant people exist on both sides - it's easy to turn a blind eye to them when they're on your side. Let ignorance breed and you'll have 2020 democratic candidate Mark Cuban or some dumb shit.

Very true. Completely understandable. There are indeed far more important issues to discuss right now, and our focus should be on those.

And with your mention of 2020 candidates, I'd also definitely like to see more discussion of the Democrats' plans going forward for 2018 and 2020. I don't know how likely it'd be for us to gain any seats next year, but a lot can happen in a year, and it's definitely time to start thinking about and talking about that.

I look at my own parents, now Trump supporters, and I'm left trying to figure out what happened. Ignorance happened. They think they know what's going on, but they've never been informed. They're not dumb, they're just ignorant. Well... they're politically dumb as rocks. But that's besides the point. Or... it is the point. The don't have a clue what's going on. They bought the cheesy punchline and understand Trump to be the religious candidate who is saving Christianity from Islam or some shit.

I very much understand and sympathize with this. I don't hate Trump supporters (with the exception of the white supremacists and neo-Nazis, that is-those morons can go fuck themselves), I'm just...very, very frustrated by them. I just do not see how they could so easily fall for Trump and all his BS, and how they can overlook all the contradictions and lies and cruel words and whatnot. And the fact that some of them are so deep into their support of him that literally nothing will rattle them...it scares me. I don't know how to fix or work with that.

and his base won't even notice that it's another loss when it comes to legislation.

instead, the focus has been put on the flag

and his base won't even notice that it's another loss when it comes to legislation.

Well it's pretty hard when they have that long list of legislative victories to concentrate on instead.

The GOP has definitively shown us that they are unfit to govern.

Could we maybe get even a half-assed tweet about how Puerto Rico - U.S. citizens - could be without power for months?

As our Asshole in Chief feigned concern and support for hurricane victims, he compliments TX and Florida as he attacks Puerto Rico's debt and infrastructure.

Fuck The Con and the conned!

The first tweets that I saw after evacuating and not having signal for 6 days. Fuck him, my island needs help.

Did you know that they're an island in the ocean? And that the ocean is pretty big let me tell you. Real big

I'm completely convinced Trump wants war with NK. His comments all point to it. Incredible as this would mean SK and Japan and probably the US mainland will get nuked. The guy is insane.

No, he just wants to look tough to his base. He also is the type who needs the last word, so NK puts out a statement and he has to reply back. He does it for RATINGS

We aren't going to war. Trump may want to nuke them, but I do believe there are enough people who would stop him.

There is literally no good outcome, and as you said thousands if not millions of lives would be lost in SK and possibly Japan.

No, he just wants to look tough to his base. He also is the type who needs the last word, so NK puts out a statement and he has to reply back. He does it for RATINGS

We aren't going to war. Trump may want to nuke them, but I do believe there are enough people who would stop him.

There is literally no good outcome, and as you said thousands if not millions of lives would be lost in SK and possibly Japan.
It's a crazy game of nuclear chicken if that's the case. Gambling with millions of people's lives.

Totally forgot you lived there. How are you doing? Where are you staying?

I'm in the same boat as the poster above whose parents are now Trump supporters. Since they raised me to value knowledge and compassion, I am also scratching my head and trying to figure out how this happened. Blaming ignorance is a correct assessment.
I do not believe that Trump wants nuclear war. However, he fails to see the nuances of any situation, and he also fails to comprehend how his words can help or hinder. Such a simplistic world view is dangerous. Lord help us!

Totally forgot you lived there. How are you doing? Where are you staying?
Well, I got to experience the entire storm - eye and all. 24 hours that I don't want to relive ever again. Lots of property and infrastructure damage, pretty much in every street and town. Power hasn't been restored (and won't be for a long time). 10-20% of the population has communication - the rest of the island doesn't. I didn't have any signal until I got to the States.

The local government's having a hard time distributing gas to all of the gas stations, which leads to lines that are miles long, hours long and days long. At least the water supply is slowly coming back. The U.S. government is not sending enough resources and we are getting desperate.

My dad works in Homeland Security, and he was able to evacuate us to Miami early this morning. The airports are only being used for relief efforts, no commercial flights going out until next week. It's just a disaster. I hope it calms down a bit when I go back in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom