US Politics III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of a response from the administration, and the seemingly lack of caring from mainstream America, is kinda sorta exactly why players are taking a knee during the anthem.

Minutes ago on CNN, the retired Lt. General Honore (who was put in charge of the military response to Katrina back in the day) just called Trump a "SOB flying around in Air Force One" and then continued to basically call him racist making this exact point.

Reminder: we live in a world where a white man can tear a black woman’s outfit open onstage and the NFL will ban HER from ever performing again.

So fuck the people who elected that SOB.

Minutes ago on CNN, the retired Lt. General Honore (who was put in charge of the military response to Katrina back in the day) just called Trump a "SOB flying around in Air Force One" and then continued to basically call him racist making this exact point.
It's obscene.

Imagine if an entire state was 97% without power, and lacking basic necessities to live, with little to no way to get in touch with anyone.

There are literally millions of American citizens in this exact situation and we're just dicking around.

The lack of a response from the administration, and the seemingly lack of caring from mainstream America, is kinda sorta exactly why players are taking a knee during the anthem.

This. It's amazing,, isn't it? I keep hearing about how we have to listen to the complaints of the white working class, but apparently we don't have to do the same for any other group of people who are struggling, or protesting things that are upsetting and frustrating them.

Good for him. Seriously, everyone, regardless of political affiliation, should be angry over Trump's behavior and lack of any sort of decent response right now. I don't get how people don't understand that. This isn't an issue of "liberal versus conservative" or "Democrat versus Republican" anymore. It's "sane and rational versus insane and irrational".

The first tweets that I saw after evacuating and not having signal for 6 days. Fuck him, my island needs help.

I hadn't gotten to your reply to cori before I posted this. Well I'm glad at least you r safe in the States for now.

There you are! Was thinking of u. So good to see you. How are you and your family managing? Have u been able to get in contact w everyone yet?
I know it is very difficult from what has been described. NYC Public radio & NPR have been doing a lot of coverage. NYC & NYS have/are sending people down to help.

Your beautiful island :sad:
Stay strong! Keep in touch as you can.

Last edited:
I saw the clip earlier of Trump talking about Puerto Rico being an island in the middle of the ocean that BEAL mentioned.

Oh. My. God. :banghead:

To say nothing of him talking about how he has a lot of time on his hands and also does a lot of work :huh:.

I just...I don't understand. I really don't. I never will.

I know .... :hug: :crack: :crack:
What a moronic, cruel, greedy ass-hat.

More help to PR, Stat!

Sorry for not multi-quoting

It's obscene.

Imagine if an entire state was 97% without power, and lacking basic necessities to live, with little to no way to get in touch with anyone.

There are literally millions of American citizens in this exact situation and we're just dicking around.

I was imagining this earlier today... hadn't quite picked one if the 48 but just thinking of such dire circumstances occurring on the mainland with such a slow response at the start.
Many people would be howling with disgust, horror and shame.

Well I'd been on the phone ( a free call to Congress phone #) for 2 days re trying to stop the ACA repeal.
So I guess get back in there tomorrow to lift the Jones Act.

Last edited:
He's brain is just mush.

He did lift the shipping ban for PR this morning so someone talked some sense into him.

No doubt in my mind!

OTOH I want to give a further shout out to WNYC-AM public radio esp to the Brian Lerher show and people from the "On the Media" show they've been doing many interviews and funneling information as soon as they got/get stuff.

And well they should since NYC has the largest group of Puerto Ricans outside of the Island. Every day I pass by people on the street, in the subway, on buses who could be in public silently suffering for their family & friends living on, or visiting there. My fellow NYC'rs and Americans. :(

Last edited:
I've made my first trip into the "south" since moving to DC... my job has pretty much relocated to Richmond for the week... and as I was driving around I saw lovely signs advertising the Confederate White House and the southern civil war museum. And I again realized that we're so fucked, and not even remotely close to ever solving these issues that plague our country.

Hopefully it's not a 24-hour thing. He's still an asshole.

I understand that he has waived the act for 10 days or so...
Meanwhile, senators McCain and Lee have apparently introduced legislation in the Senate to permanently exempt Puerto Rico from the Jones Act. I'm curious to see where that will go.

I've made my first trip into the "south" since moving to DC... my job has pretty much relocated to Richmond for the week... and as I was driving around I saw lovely signs advertising the Confederate White House and the southern civil war museum. And I again realized that we're so fucked, and not even remotely close to ever solving these issues that plague our country.

I'm not a fan of promoting the Confederacy, even in Richmond of all places. However, to be fair, I wouldn't mistake what you see in the former capital of the Confederacy with the attitude held throughout the South... I spend most of my life in the South, and it's not like there's an epidemic of Confederacy-worship going on here.

There are certainly people grabbing a lot of media attention right now, and they absolutely deserve a lot of scorn, but it's not like it's everywhere.

Though I realize that urban Dallas and urban Austin, where I spend most of my time, are different from more rural areas of the South.

I'm not a fan of promoting the Confederacy, even in Richmond of all places. However, to be fair, I wouldn't mistake what you see in the former capital of the Confederacy with the attitude held throughout the South... I spend most of my life in the South, and it's not like there's an epidemic of Confederacy-worship going on here.

There are certainly people grabbing a lot of media attention right now, and they absolutely deserve a lot of scorn, but it's not like it's everywhere.

Though I realize that urban Dallas and urban Austin, where I spend most of my time, are different from more rural areas of the South.
Are these Confederate markers presented in a historical manner, or more in line with nostalgia and glorification of the past?

Those lazy fuckers in PR want everything done for them.

Why does he have to do this ? He even blamed the Democrats for telling PR that the Feds aren't doing enough.

So now it's a partisan issue

So I keep hearing people complaining about how the media never made fun of or bashed Obama the way they are Trump.

I want those people to do me a favor. Go look at the way in which Obama's responded to natural disasters, and interacted with other politicians, and behaved on Twitter.

Then go compare his responses to the way that Trump's handled similar incidents.

That's why Trump gets made fun of and bashed so mercilessly in the media, people. Okay?

Can we PLEASE just kick him out now and be done with it? Please? He just really needs to shut the fuck up.

For the number crunchers

The economy gained a net 11.5 million jobs. The unemployment rate dropped to below the historical norm.
Average weekly earnings for all workers were up 4.1 percent after inflation. The gain was 3.7 percent for just production and nonsupervisory employees.
After-tax corporate profits also set records, as did stock prices. The S&P 500 index rose 166 percent.
The number of people lacking health insurance dropped by 15 million. Premiums rose, but more slowly than before.
The federal debt owed to the public rose 128 percent. Deficits were rising as Obama departed.
Home prices rose 20 percent. But the home ownership rate hit the lowest point in half a century.
Illegal immigration declined: The Border Patrol caught 35 percent fewer people trying to get into the U.S. from Mexico.
Wind and solar power increased 369 percent. Coal production declined 38 percent. Carbon emissions from burning fossil fuel dropped 11 percent.
Production of handguns rose 192 percent, to a record level.
The murder rate dropped to the lowest on record in 2014, then rose and finished at about the same rate as when Obama took office.

Obama's Final Numbers - FactCheck.org

The stats about illegal immigration from Mexico confirm what I've been seeing elsewhere: It's continuously been declining. The number of people returning to Mexico has consistently been greater than the number coming into the States. Boggles the mind why it's such an issue.

And it’s not helping that our governor is kissing Trump’s ass and staying quiet about how the clown is treating the mayor. I hope they treat him like shit when he visits the island.

I wonder, is the Governor really having such a different view on the issue than the mayor of San Juan, or was he so afraid of Trump's small ego and harsh reaction that he preferred to praise the response?

Some response to the criticism is, "But Trump is in contact daily with the Governor." Yes, great. I can be in contact with you every day. Does not automatically translate into me helping.

I was surprised that something like the Jones Act could be legal. Should be a case for the WTO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom