US Politics III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could we maybe get even a half-assed tweet about how Puerto Rico - U.S. citizens - could be without power for months?

Trump supporters are now gonna drop their NFL TV packages, their season tickets, and all support for the teams with kneeling players.

Biggest outrage is Pittsburgh

Don't these black athletes understand how lucky they are to live here? We could totally enslave them again if they don't start respecting the country that brought them over here

Over the last twelve hours Trump has gone fucking mental on twitter.

He's accused Iran and North Korea of working together on nukes.

He's threatened that NK won't be around much longer.

Thereby contradicting findings by the Congressional Research Service: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/R43480.pdf

there is no evidence that Iran and North Korea have engaged in nuclear
-
related
trade or cooperation with each other, although ballistic missile technology
cooperation between the two is significant and meaningful, and

Yep. But now his base will repeat it over and over

Mueller findings can't come soon enough

This outrage over the kneeling-during-the-anthem thing bewilders me. It's not new though. It's just one manifestation of this cultish kind of patriotism that the conservative half of this country can't let go of. The kind of where you can't say anything bad about America or point out anything America's done wrong without being labeled un-American and/or a traitor. The kind where the only way you can love your country is unconditionally and without any criticism of any kind.

It's been around since at least Vietnam. I'm watching the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary and it shows vividly the anti-war protests in the streets and the conservative 'patriotic' reaction to them, calling the protestors traitors and holding up 'my country wrong or right' signs. So prevalent was this line of thought that there were even people in the government who thought the protesters were really an insurgent communist movement being run by Moscow.

This kind of with-us-or-against-us, nationalistic, my-country-wrong-or-right, cult of patriotism is dangerous. The fact that there are people in the NFL fanbase who apparently really think that Colin Kaepernick is un-American for taking the knee is disheartening, and the fact that a President is supporting that opinion is profoundly disturbing.

I do wonder though if there would be such an uproar if it was a basketball player who did this instead of a football player, because the NBA fanbase is signficantly more progressive on the whole than the NFL fanbase. I say this despite what happend to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf 20 years ago(look it up), as I think even the liberal half of the country has evolved in that time period.

That's an aside though. The point is, blind patriotism is BS and it's scary when a President is openly speaking against freedom of expression.

This outrage over the kneeling-during-the-anthem thing bewilders me. It's not new though. It's just one manifestation of this cultish kind of patriotism that the conservative half of this country can't let go of. The kind of where you can't say anything bad about America or point out anything America's done wrong without being labeled un-American and/or a traitor. The kind where the only way you can love your country is unconditionally and without any criticism of any kind.

It's been around since at least Vietnam. I'm watching the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary and it shows vividly the anti-war protests in the streets and the conservative 'patriotic' reaction to them, calling the protestors traitors and holding up 'my country wrong or right' signs. So prevalent was this line of thought that there were even people in the government who thought the protesters were really an insurgent communist movement being run by Moscow.

This kind of with-us-or-against-us, nationalistic, my-country-wrong-or-right, cult of patriotism is dangerous. The fact that there are people in the NFL fanbase who apparently

really think that Colin Kaepernick is un-American for taking the knee is disheartening, and the fact that a President is supporting that opinion is profoundly disturbing.

I do wonder though if there would be such an uproar if it was a basketball player who did this instead of a football player, because the NBA fanbase is signficantly more progressive on the whole than the NFL fanbase. I say this despite what happend to Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf 20 years ago(look it up), as I think even the liberal half of the country has evolved in that time period.

That's an aside though. The point is, blind patriotism is BS and it's scary when a President is openly speaking against freedom of expression.
The American flag is a powerful symbol and refusing to stand is naturally going to evoke strong emotions from veterans and others. I liked how the NFL members linked arms and stood together at the Lions game.

I'm not scared of North Korea.

I'm scared of Trump being in charge.

If NK were to attack first I can't see China supporting them.

If we strike first, China will step in

True. Whether North Korea does anything or not, though, I'm just tired of this "whose is bigger" BS game he and Kim Jong-Un are playing, and his comments don't help an already tense situation, so somebody needs to just tell him to put a sock in it already.

This outrage over the kneeling-during-the-anthem thing bewilders me. It's not new though.

Neither is the idea of sports getting political. "Good Morning America" was on at the laundromat this morning and they showed clips of when Muhammed Ali was speaking out against Vietnam, and the black power rallies athletes had in the '60s and '70s. And of course there was all the furor and debate over Jackie Robinson back in the '40s, too. So where people are somehow getting this idea that sports are just now getting "too political", I don't know, but they really need to brush up on their sports history. I don't even follow sports, nor was I alive back then, and even I've heard a little about that stuff.

Could we maybe get even a half-assed tweet about how Puerto Rico - U.S. citizens - could be without power for months?

Or Mexico's struggle to recover from the recent earthquakes? Given how much they helped people after Harvey, I'm thinking it'd be rather nice to return the favor, no?

Oh, but wait, Mexico's full of nothing but druggies and rapists according to Trump, so who gives a damn about them, right :rolleyes:?

Trump supporters are now gonna drop their NFL TV packages, their season tickets, and all support for the teams with kneeling players.

But remember, it's liberals who are the "sensitive snowflakes"!

The American flag is a powerful symbol and refusing to stand is naturally going to evoke strong emotions from veterans and others. I liked how the NFL members linked arms and stood together at the Lions game.

Exactly. But this is what we get when we try to legislate or govern on feelings.

This kind of with-us-or-against-us, nationalistic, my-country-wrong-or-right, cult of patriotism is dangerous. The fact that there are people in the NFL fanbase who apparently really think that Colin Kaepernick is un-American for taking the knee is disheartening, and the fact that a President is supporting that opinion is profoundly disturbing.

I'm having a hard time following your NBA comment. I don't think the conservative/progressive make up of the fan base has anything to do with it.

I think the only way it would be less of an uproar if it was started by a white athlete. If this was started by a white baseball player, no one would even notice.

I'm having a hard time following your NBA comment. I don't think the conservative/progressive make up of the fan base has anything to do with it.

I think the only way it would be less of an uproar if it was started by a white athlete. If this was started by a white baseball player, no one would even notice.
Nah, he does have a point. Football is a much more popular sport in conservative areas of the country than basketball is, so the uproar is amplified because of that.

He's somehow even worse than I expected him to be, and that's saying a lot.

So I guess now we see what all the bashing of football players and Steph Curry was all about.

It's always a distraction.

Of course it is a distraction.

- The candidate Trump is backing in the senate primary in Alabama is losing.
- The ObamaCare repeal is likely (hopefully) going nowhere
- Muslim Ban v3.0 (with some tweaks) is now coming
- Russia (always)
Possibly something else too, which hasn't leaked to the public yet.

The media needs to stop reporting on his Tweets entirely. I wish Twitter would shut him down. Everybody gets themselves worked up into a tizzy because he posts some juvenile nonsense there while there are real news going on. Stop paying attention to him, he is like a toddler, he will hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom