US Politics III - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #341
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Well you would hope so. After all a 226-year-old piece of paper is the most important thing on earth.
If our founding documents are such garbage and our culture is so racist, then why the immigration flood?

And if you don't agree with part of the Constitution, there is a process for amending it, to keep it updated. Good luck on overturning the First Amendment though.
__________________

AEON is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #342
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
This idea that every man, woman, and child from across the globe has a God-given right to live in America is ridiculous. It is not racist to have an immigration policy. It is not racist to enforce immigration policies.
I find this stance (I've seen it from many people) to be completely ridiculous, extremely cold and callous. You won the birth lotto. Are you telling me that if you happened to be born in Syria or sub-Saharan Africa and you woke up every day not knowing if you'd still be alive by midday, you'd be sitting there going "well, I'd like to live in America but I shouldn't be allowed to move there, that's fair, I'll just sit here and appreciate what I've got"
__________________

cobl04 is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 PM   #343
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
If our founding documents are such garbage and our culture is so racist, then why the immigration flood?
Aaaaand this directly and completely contradicts one of your posts on this very page. Are you proud to live in a great country that is attractive to the huddled masses? Or happy to block it off to everyone?
cobl04 is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #344
Refugee
 
nbelcik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,592
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
The Latino American culture is thriving in the US, especially the Southwest. DACA will have zero impact. This isn't about "brown" people.



If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the parents who put these children in this situation.


As of June 2016, 741,546 people had been approved for DACA. And you're going to say that it's going to have no impact...because Latinx culture is thriving in the Southwest? What?

Yeah, deporting people who through no fault of their own were brought to this country at a very young age and for whom America is home is really a humane and not-at-all racist policy...
nbelcik is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #345
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 09:17 AM
Not to derail this discussion, but jesus fucking christ who is advising Hillary Clinton, and what is with the near-constant sooking coming out of the Dems?

Hillary yesterday endorsed some new 'news' website called Verrit, with the tagline 'for 65.8 million' (referring to the amount of votes she got), which a few days earlier posted this article, one of the worst pieces of dog-whistling bullshit I've ever seen:

Sanders and the Mainstream Media Helped Put Trump in the White House

And then Peter Daou spent the rest of the day shitting himself on twitter.

What an absolute fucking train wreck, who the hell thought this would be a good idea?
cobl04 is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #346
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,215
Local Time: 05:17 PM
It's not necessarily incorrect...
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #347
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 09:17 AM
The way it is written is absolutely disgusting and explains exactly why they lost.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #348
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
The Latino American culture is thriving in the US, especially the Southwest. DACA will have zero impact. This isn't about "brown" people.



If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the parents who put these children in this situation.


Wow, you missed his point by a thousand miles.

So? Sins of the father, eh? Shall we go down that slippery slope?
BVS is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #349
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
That's either disingenuous or ignorant of you to suggest.

Among "Western Civilization" the USA is basically alone in their absolute right to free speech (with some very very limited restrictions). The rest of us all live in legal systems which clamp down on hate speech (that Charlottesville march would fall under such) and incitement of violence (much lower threshold than in US). And many of our states function not just fine but actually generally better than the US.
The problem is "Hate Speech" is way too vague to ban. What if suddenly those in power decided that deriding Christians or wearing a"Fightin' Irish" was now "Hate Speech" ? You would probably accuse me of hate speech for suggesting a "barrier" between the US and Mexico.

Yes, Free Speech is dying in Europe. I'm not sure that's a good thing. To speak out, or even express concern about the immigrants from the Middle East is labeled "Hate Speech" - so these citizens now have zero control over their own country. It's all in the hands of the government, and not the people.


Quote:
NPR interviews ACLU

GARCIA-NAVARRO: But isn't hate speech different?

ROWLAND: There's no question that the things that Mr. Yiannopoulos says are unbelievably hateful in nature. But the phrase hate speech is a form of free speech. Again, in defending the rights of others to speak, whether or not we agree with them, we must all reach out and protect the speech that we most disagree with or else the First Amendment is just reduced to a popularity contest and has no meaning
The ACLU Explains Why They're Supporting The Rights Of Milo Yiannopoulos : NPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
So let's not pretend that if we don't allow every asshole to publicly scream out his hatred while brandishing a weapon, as they did in Charlottesville, that's somehow a slippery slope to totalitarianism. Totally, 100% false and not only false but demonstrably false.
So, if "Unite the Right" did not bring weapons and allowed antifa to pummel them sticks and rocks and bike locks, then you would support their right to march? I believe you have argued against their right to march at all. I have already explained I that I do not equate Free Speech with Free Violence.
AEON is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,352
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
As of June 2016, 741,546 people had been approved for DACA. And you're going to say that it's going to have no impact...because Latinx culture is thriving in the Southwest? What?

Yeah, deporting people who through no fault of their own were brought to this country at a very young age and for whom America is home is really a humane and not-at-all racist policy...


Not to mention most are college educated with good jobs, exactly the sort of people you want in this country. But since their families don't have the proper paperwork, tough shit. Disgusting. The university I work for has said it will do whatever it can to help these brave kids.

It's a shame that the GOP only cares about rich, white Americans.
trojanchick99 is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #351
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 09:17 AM
I am very comfortable with neo-Nazis being pummelled with sticks and rocks and I am not sure how we ended up at a point in time where we seem to like Nazis and think they should be given a platform.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #352
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I find this stance (I've seen it from many people) to be completely ridiculous, extremely cold and callous. You won the birth lotto. Are you telling me that if you happened to be born in Syria or sub-Saharan Africa and you woke up every day not knowing if you'd still be alive by midday, you'd be sitting there going "well, I'd like to live in America but I shouldn't be allowed to move there, that's fair, I'll just sit here and appreciate what I've got"
Well, if we follow your logic, and we allow every child born into an unfortunate situation into the US, then the US would no longer be the US that everyone wants to come to.

Look, it sucks for these kids. I don't disagree. A better, more reasonable option, is to focus on making these countries better and safer for kids, unless you are suggesting the inhabitants of these countries are somehow genetically inferior to improve their own country without the help of white men- or their only hope is to run to a country dominated by white men. Because on the surface, that is what it seems you are suggesting...by accident I'm sure.
AEON is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #353
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
The problem is "Hate Speech" is way too vague to ban. What if suddenly those in power decided that deriding Christians or wearing a"Fightin' Irish" was now "Hate Speech" ? You would probably accuse me of hate speech for suggesting a "barrier" between the US and Mexico.

Yes, Free Speech is dying in Europe. I'm not sure that's a good thing. To speak out, or even express concern about the immigrants from the Middle East is labeled "Hate Speech" - so these citizens now have zero control over their own country. It's all in the hands of the government, and not the people.




The ACLU Explains Why They're Supporting The Rights Of Milo Yiannopoulos : NPR



So, if "Unite the Right" did not bring weapons and allowed antifa to pummel them sticks and rocks and bike locks, then you would support their right to march? I believe you have argued against their right to march at all. I have already explained I that I do not equate Free Speech with Free Violence.


If you have to twist, then your point is not worth making.
BVS is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #354
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I am very comfortable with neo-Nazis being pummelled with sticks and rocks and I am not sure how we ended up at a point in time where we seem to like Nazis and think they should be given a platform.
Nobody said you had to like them...
AEON is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #355
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Well, if we follow your logic, and we allow every child born into an unfortunate situation into the US, then the US would no longer be the US that everyone wants to come to.

Look, it sucks for these kids. I don't disagree. A better, more reasonable option, is to focus on making these countries better and safer for kids, unless you are suggesting the inhabitants of these countries are somehow genetically inferior to improve their own country without the help of white men- or their only hope is to run to a country dominated by white men. Because on the surface, that is what it seems you are suggesting...by accident I'm sure.


If you have to twist...
BVS is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
I believe you have argued against their right to march at all. I have already explained I that I do not equate Free Speech with Free Violence.
No, once again that's the lie that you've perpetuated by being totally unable to actually read my posts. You were called out on it by multiple people and here we are yet again.

Under your current laws they have a right to march. I have never said they didn't.

What I object to is your constant suggestion that if such a right was reasonably curtailed at all it's a slippery slope to heaven-knows-what. Not in Canada, not in Australia or New Zealand or in Europe has it been the case, but keep arguing nonsense.
anitram is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #357
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,724
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
A better, more reasonable option, is to focus on making these countries better and safer for kids, unless you are suggesting the inhabitants of these countries are somehow genetically inferior to improve their own country without the help of white men- or their only hope is to run to a country dominated by white men. Because on the surface, that is what it seems you are suggesting...by accident I'm sure.
...wow...
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #358
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
If you have to twist...
I think the logic is crystal clear....sort of like Clinton's expansion of the "physical barrier" between the US and Mexico.

Logic says it simply does not scale to allow every disadvantaged kid to come to America.
AEON is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #359
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,275
Local Time: 09:17 AM
fuck!!!! exposed for the racist I truly am!!! I bow down to aeon's moral superiority
cobl04 is offline  
Old 09-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I find this stance (I've seen it from many people) to be completely ridiculous, extremely cold and callous. You won the birth lotto.
Aren't you suggesting that Mexican kids also won the "birth lotto" because they are close enough to get into an open US, while the billions of other children across the globe just have to stay put...that seems so unfair.
__________________

AEON is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×