US Politics II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the fucking alt left didn't let these nazis proudly march and spew their hatred. It's their god damn american right to do so! Not only will that speech contain threats against anyone who's race/religion doesn't match their own, but they will use force to take this country back.

The alt left also showed up with clubs and bats. How were the armed militia men supposed to protect themselves?

I do wonder if Trump doubling down on stupid is to hide some news to break soon?

They can't fucking control him! Apparently he was supposed to go out and talk policy, and he went off script (like usual)

And he dug himself further into the giant hole he's already in. Kelley has to just be pissing himself right now.

Good to see some GOP lawmakers keeping their criticism up. But what the fuck does he have to do for them to get him out of office?

Is it going to take more violence in the streets?

The President of the United States of America doesn't condemn Nazis. Disgusting.

No, no no!!! He condemns EVERYONE. He hates all people not named Trump.

You're treating him unfairly. His hate doesn't discriminate. That's all he's trying to say!!

I'm surprised he didn't bring up Schlindler's List as an example of good Nazis

jeesus just when you think the man can't possibly go any lower :crack:

Trump must love this guy!

this is why we have laws about these kinds of things, like Nazi symbols, incitement to racial (etc) hatred and hate speech here - THANK FUCK

obviously because Europe has experienced the whole nazi thing first hand and made laws to try and stop it from ever happening again, but i guess democracy is a very fragile thin veneer really

jeesus this is so disturbing to see :sad:

Last edited:
This shit show can't go on much longer, surely? A nazi supporter and defender is the president. What madness is this?!

The President of the United States of America doesn't condemn Nazis. Disgusting.

That's because your president is a racist.

As has been obvious since you know, the day he walked down that gaudy escalator and announced his candidacy by calling Mexicans rapists.

He's a racist.

The rest of the world is horrified.

I do not EVER want to hear any Trump supporters complain again about people assuming that they support racism (or xenophobia, sexism, and homophobia) by supporting Trump. You have absolutely no moral ground of any sort to stand on. None. At all. Own up to your role in endorsing and encouraging this asshole, and don't you dare put the blame on those of us who didn't support him.

Did fucking trump just defend the fucking kkk? Did i hear right? Did he actually fucking say they get treated unfairly?? What the actual fuck????

No, he didn't, not outright. What he did was cater to his base once again, and honestly he did a damn good job of it. He muddied it up enough that those that voted for him but were upset about this weekend are praising him again.

That was fucking amateur hour when it came to the press. Fuck, they had a golden opportunity and they got played.

I've been following this for a couple of weeks leading up to this weekend. This was a protest regarding the statue, that's what the folks were there on Friday for. Friday was just your run of the mill Trump supporters, racists, and history revisionists. Saturday and Sunday was a very planned out meeting of hate groups, this was very deliberate. Twitter was filled with conversations between white nationalists and neo-nazis saying "next weekend is about putting aside our differences and #unitetheright". They were shit talking up to the very last minute. Some were demonizing antifa, some seem to have some common ground.

It started out as pure research, but I've been sucked into some really weird social media wormholes in the last few weeks. But make no mistake Friday was purposely left alone, Saturday and Sunday were designed to be a clash. They wanted the biggest rally on American soil.

Now they are all at each other's throats again, some saying that Soros funded the other, etc. Some have completely disavowed Trump, others claim he gave their teams coded "we're good" messages.

But Trump's response, pretty much played to ALL of them. He played to those within these hate groups and he played to those normal Friday attendees that had no idea their protest had been hijacked.

He somehow played to them all, and with just a little research the media could have actually done a little bit of damage to that orange teflon glow.

His comments echoed Sean Hannity, especially the references to the "alt-left". This is where that is coming from.

What a fucked up time to be alive.

Unfortunately, a sizeable number of liberal pundits have been pushing this "alt-left" rubbish in recent times. I don't think it was Hannity who coined it.

What exactly does the alt left do? I'd like the know

There's really no such thing as the "alt-left".

didn't you know they shot 5 police officers in Dallas last year?

also, there were "two sides" to WW2, apparently.

Got it so if it's anyone who's not a white supremacist then they are alt left.

I totally need Bono write some crazy good song railing on all this, come on man we need you.

Unfortunately, a sizeable number of liberal pundits have been pushing this "alt-left" rubbish in recent times. I don't think it was Hannity who coined it.

Hannity was the first "mainstream" pundit to use it, and like everything else he does, he has to repeat it over and over, but it was just used as a reaction. He applies it to everyone left of himself, it means nothing.

I honestly haven't heard any left pundits use it, but admittedly don't listen to them all that much, though I did read blogs right after the election about how the left needed an alt-left.

It's like an abuser saying but you provoked me that's why I hit you. This is not a both sides thing.

Hannity was the first "mainstream" pundit to use it, and like everything else he does, he has to repeat it over and over, but it was just used as a reaction. He applies it to everyone left of himself, it means nothing.

I honestly haven't heard any left pundits use it, but admittedly don't listen to them all that much, though I did read blogs right after the election about how the left needed an alt-left.

No self proclaimed leftists have identified with it (because it doesn't really even mean anything, we're the same leftists as we've always been), it has mostly been used as a means to punch left for a while now and has been given quite the run by #TheResistance #NeverTrump liberal types as well as conservatives like Hannity (as you've pointed out). I'm not particularly surprised at the ease as it has been taken in by conservatives.

It has been infuriating to see folks like the founder of Daily Kos punching left even after the events in Charlottesville. I hope all liberals steer clear of using 'alt left' for good now.

In American liberal circles, "alt left" came about to describe the push for purity among the fringier Bernie folks -- a good recent example has been the attempts to smear Kamala Harris, Deval Patrick, and Corey Booker for being insuffuciently pure (and black, and female), especially when it comes to Wall Street. This was reminiscent of the Tea Party and the RINO charges that came about in right wing circles under Obama, and is responsible for the party's present lack of moderates. Many of us don't want the left to go down the same path as the right, and understand that the way to win elections is through having a big tent and running talent.

In recent week, it seems the Alt Right had been overtaken by its fringe, these people make Milo look positively reasonable because he isn't a Nazi. So, I would agree -- there is no left wing equivalent to this present understanding of the AltRight. BLM and even the Antifa (who I've only recently become aware of) don't belong in the same sentence as the filth we saw in Charlottesville. Especially BLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom