US Politics II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And he'll never take any responsibility for stoking the flames with his nasty rhetoric, either.

But remember, it's "offensive" to insist that Trump's supporters are racist/sexist/xenophobic/homophobic. Voting for him was purely about the economy and other similar issues of that sort, nothing more.

Remember like 49% of people didn't even vote! I pray that means only a small percentage of people are actually Trump supporters. But how in the hell do we get out of this!

Yep. I think we can see more and more of this going forward.

Maybe it's best not to counter protest?? I know it's a right but it's clearly obvious it's not going to end well.

Why go?

I'm not sure you understand, it's easier for these movements to grow if there is no counter-protest/resistance to them.

But how in the hell do we get out of this!

Yeah, that's what I want to hear more discussion of right now. Okay, the majority of the country, if the dismal approval ratings and the fact he didn't win the popular vote are anything to go by, clearly seems to agree that Trump is shit. We can, and should, all channel that into voting and encouraging people to vote Democrat (or support more moderate conservative candidates, for those who lean Republican) come 2018 and 2020, but obviously, that's still a ways off yet.

So what can we do in the meantime? What's the best way to stress to the GOP that we want Trump gone as soon as possible, and we want them to be fully on board with the investigation and potential impeachment? What can we do to try and fight back more against these white nationalists, or demand people like Bannon be kicked out of the White House, or things of that sort? It just feels like the typical methods-protests, town hall meetings, donating to organizations trying to put a halt to this madness-aren't quite enough, or aren't being taken seriously enough. If there's other worthwhile ways to get organized and get our message across in a way that makes people actually pay attention and take it seriously, though, it'd be great to hear more about them.

I'm not sure you understand, it's easier for these movements to grow if there is no counter-protest/resistance to them.

As an addition.

tumblr_oul3k7ccTS1udfmseo1_1280.png

If there is anything the last 7 months taught me is that there is no hope of change or getting rid of trump until democrats become a majority again. The GOP is spineless and will not do anything about trump! It's party over country. Even with his latest rhetoric and childish war of words with KJU, the GOP will still support him because going against him is like going against your party even if it's blatantly obvious that going against your party is the only right thing to do. The only hope is that people are so fed up and scared over what trump is doing, that in 2018 the GOP will lose the majority status. Until than I am afraid we are stuck with this scary orange clown!

While this might be true normally, I can't help but feel as though as the times change, acknowledging it allows for vitality to encourage folks to pick a side.

In this particular case I don't think that's necessarily true. But overall, that trend seems to be true.

Both parties seem spineless right now.

I don't know how this gets solved. The GOP, although I know there is internal dissent, is weak. And the Dems, are even weaker. They don't know how to deal with this.

Our only hope is within the investigations, though I have little hope.

Absolute truth has to be presented, and his own party has to turn against him.

If that doesn't happen, we're screwed.

The only other option this country has is a full on revolution. Now I'm not endorsing that, but I would not be surprised if there was a cyber or violent one if things don't change.

too much 2 multi quote so synopsis.

Moonlit Amen :hug:

anitram well said

cori :lol: we need a bit of levity!:up:

Dave C thanks as always for your info!
I was 9 for the Cuban Missile Crisis and smart enough to know what the results could be [ living in the #2 target of NYC kinda makes u more aware too!] ! Terrifying!!!!!

But as to "the 80's" close calls what/whom are you referencing? Reagan? Yeltsin?

FOX You really need to listen to NPR Radio and analysis programs! It will lower your anxiety level. A lot of what Dave C has posted has been said there.

Headache Yes. Also in public radio has been the mention of no extra movements amongst the military etc

Namkur Yeah, have been hearing bits about the NC situation all day including the later injury/ murder by car. :crack:

Vlad omg! I guess this was happening while I was (still) out. :yikes: As someone who met Prof West briefly back in the ? early 00's .....

Bomac oh, man. I heard drumph's speech and I did notice no specific mention, and the BS of "hate on both sides" crap.
jeeeeez

PS is bannon throwing a "party" tonight for all his "good ole boys" Southerns and Northerners. :|

Last edited:
Both parties seem spineless right now.

I don't know how this gets solved. The GOP, although I know there is internal dissent, is weak. And the Dems, are even weaker. They don't know how to deal with this.

Our only hope is within the investigations, though I have little hope.

Absolute truth has to be presented, and his own party has to turn against him.

If that doesn't happen, we're screwed.

The only other option this country has is a full on revolution. Now I'm not endorsing that, but I would not be surprised if there was a cyber or violent one if things don't change.

Agree. Things could worsen and quickly. While I don't think we'll become a fascist country, we could morph into something just as sinister if we allow this sort of hate into the top levels of office

You'll note that he refrains from any specific reference to white supremacy.

That was missing but I don't remember Trump speaking out after violent clashes like that before...or did he ?

Anyway this might rattle him to be more specific in his comments

MAGA ? More like make America hate again...

Last edited:
That's another thing that confounds me. If America's as great as those on the right keep claiming it is, or if they're supporting a guy who claims he's going to make this country great...then why the hell are some of them supporting the Confederacy, which was the result of states splitting away from this "great nation"? Kind of a rather glaring contradiction there, no?

Also, that story about the neo-Nazis planning to target the church. Jesus. Thank goodness they were stopped. I hope these assholes all serve a nice amount of jail time for their shitty actions here. They absolutely deserve to be called terrorists.

I felt so sick reading about Charlottesville yesterday. Essential reading, but fuck.

The horrible thing is that Charlottesville is awesome -- gorgeous and progressive and home to UVA, perhaps the best public university in the country. I saw U2 there.

Fuck these people.

Funny how the right made big deal of liberal not calling out "Islamic extremists " but have no issue with trump not talking about white supremacists

Trumpy doesn't want to upset his "base" of white supremacists, KKK, and neo-Nazi supporters. He'll issue a statement he's against hate and what-not, but won't actually single out any hate group by name.

That's another thing that confounds me. If America's as great as those on the right keep claiming it is, or if they're supporting a guy who claims he's going to make this country great...then why the hell are some of them supporting the Confederacy, which was the result of states splitting away from this "great nation"? Kind of a rather glaring contradiction there, no?

Also, that story about the neo-Nazis planning to target the church. Jesus. Thank goodness they were stopped. I hope these assholes all serve a nice amount of jail time for their shitty actions here. They absolutely deserve to be called terrorists.

Absolutely bone-chilling. Talk about ovens and hanging from a tree in the 21st centruy ...also, not sure legally but how did those whackos get into town with organised militia ?

I thought unless you're the military/police/national guard, you don't get to parade around carrying guns ?

not sure legally but how did those whackos get into town with organised militia ?

I thought unless you're the military/police/national guard, you don't get to parade around carrying guns ?

Some states in the US have open carry laws. That means that people there are allowed to openly (i.e. visibly) carry a weapon. Because, well, guns are good. :sigh:

It amazes me how many Twitter profiles I see with bios about "god, [sports team], and guns". How the fuck are guns that much a part of your identity?

Some states in the US have open carry laws. That means that people there are allowed to openly (i.e. visibly) carry a weapon. Because, well, guns are good. :sigh:

I thought that only meant individuals carrying guns...not quasi military organising like militia. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom