US Politics II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: not even close, dude.

The Cuban thingy...with the missiles. And the crisis.

Though the "eye to eye...and they blinked" stuff is bullshit meant to inspire some rah rah, it was still far, far, far more dangerous than some Dennis Rodman-loving despot in Asia with a slingshot nuke and our orange man-child can get us to...

Though the "eye to eye...and they blinked" stuff is bullshit meant to inspire some rah rah, it was still far, far, far more dangerous than some Dennis Rodman-loving despot in Asia with a slingshot nuke and our orange man-child can get us to...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasili_Arkhipov#Involvement_in_Cuban_Missile_Crisis

On 27 October 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, a group of eleven United States Navy destroyers and the aircraft carrier USS Randolph located the diesel-powered, nuclear-armed Soviet Foxtrot-class submarine B-59 near Cuba. Despite being in international waters, the Americans started dropping signaling depth charges, explosives intended to force the submarine to come to the surface for identification. There had been no contact from Moscow for a number of days and, although the submarine's crew had earlier been picking up U.S. civilian radio broadcasts, once B-59 began attempting to hide from its U.S. Navy pursuers, it was too deep to monitor any radio traffic. Those on board did not know whether war had broken out or not. The captain of the submarine, Valentin Grigorievitch Savitsky, decided that a war might already have started and wanted to launch a nuclear torpedo.

Unlike the other subs in the flotilla, three officers on board the B-59 had to agree unanimously to authorize a nuclear launch: Captain Savitsky, the political officer Ivan Semonovich Maslennikov, and the second-in-command Arkhipov. Typically, Russian submarines armed with the "Special Weapon" only required the captain to get authorization from the political officer to launch a nuclear torpedo. However, due to Arkhipov's position as flotilla commander, the B-59's captain also was required to gain Arkhipov's approval. An argument broke out, with only Arkhipov against the launch.

Even though Arkhipov was only second-in-command of the submarine B-59, he was in fact commander of the entire submarine flotilla, including the B-4, B-36 and B-130, and equal in rank to Captain Savitsky. According to author Edward Wilson, the reputation Arkhipov had gained from his courageous conduct in the previous year's Soviet submarine K-19 incident also helped him prevail. Arkhipov eventually persuaded Savitsky to surface and await orders from Moscow. This effectively averted the nuclear warfare which probably would have ensued if the nuclear weapon had been fired. The submarine's batteries had run very low and the air-conditioning had failed, causing extreme heat and high levels of carbon dioxide inside the submarine. They were forced to surface amidst its U.S. pursuers and return to the Soviet Union as a result.

that is the most unsafe moment in american history. there are a few others between then and the 80s that were pretty damn close too.

Last edited:

I think you misunderstood. I'm not really referring to a nuke instability. I'm talking about how instable the leaderships is. If we faced anything like the Cuban missile crisis now with a clown in charge we'd be doomed for sure.

:lol: not even close, dude.

Dave, I enjoy reading your perspective. Thanks for being the voice of reason. :up:

Being a kid in the 70s and 80s, I recall being terrified many times when hearing about saber-rattling, dick measuring statements made by world leaders. Other than isolated incidences of terrorism, the world has been relatively peaceful for decades now, with no large scale threats, or talk of WWIII. I wonder if those who are freaking out now are just too young to recall instances when this stuff would happen and then amount to nothing.

Well, here's something comparatively positive worth focusing on in regards to this whole North Korea thing:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apnewsbr...orea-regular-contact-143316612--politics.html

Interesting. NK just released a Canadian pastor who had been held prisoner, in the past week, due to diplomatic negotiation.

I'm glad we don't have that war monger Clinton in charge. Imagine the threats she'd make.

I think trump should make this his statement on everything. We won't rule out military intervention

We warned Trump supporters about this shit before the election, too. That's the most maddening part. Like I said, we may not have been able to predict this specific situation happening, but we told people he was going to be god-awful at handling any sort of crisis in a mature, rational, thoughtful manner, be it domestic or foreign. We told people his obnoxious tweeting and constant need to go around picking fights were going to prove deeply unhelpful and make him come off as even more of an ass to the rest of the world.

And gee, look at that. WE WERE RIGHT. So hey, thanks for not listening to us, Trump supporters, and dismissing us all as nothing more than "whiny liberals" and "sensitive snowflakes". Really appreciate it :|.

Interesting. NK just released a Canadian pastor who had been held prisoner, in the past week, due to diplomatic negotiation.

Good to hear that :up:. Here's hoping the diplomatic talks continue to be beneficial across the board.

He is in full distraction mode cause he knows he's fucked.

Has the defcon level gone up?
Have we started moving troops?
Have we started sending embassy workers home?
Have we issued any recent travel alerts?

No? Exactly.

I readily acknowledge the possibility that this asshole's bluster will cause miscalculation on the other side that ends up dragging us into war - but Trump's statements are nothing more than a way to change the media narrative as the Mueller noose is closing tight around him.

This is what he does EVERY TIME.

The actual day that Manafort's house was raided? The same day this clown tweeted his unprompted transgender military ban that isn't actually a back because he didn't take any action to enforce it. Much like he's taken no action to follow up on his North Korea threats.

Sure, one could make the argument that he's a dumb dumb who doesn't realize that he needs to increase the DEFCON level, clear embassies, etc. Except his COS is a fucking general. I think someone would be aware.

This is all a game; a dangerous game, but a game none the less, meant to take our collective eyes off the prize.

Last edited:
He is in full distraction mode cause he knows he's fucked.

Has the defcon level gone up?
Have we started moving troops?
Have we started sending embassy workers home?
Have we issued any recent travel alerts?

No? Exactly.

I readily acknowledge the possibility that this asshole's bluster will cause miscalculation on the other side that ends up dragging us into war - but Trump's statements are nothing more than a way to change the media narrative as the Mueller noose is closing tight around him.

This is what he does EVERY TIME.

The actual day that Manafort's house was raided? The same day this clown tweeted his unprompted transgender military ban that isn't actually a back because he didn't take any action to enforce it. Much like he's taken no action to follow up on his North Korea threats.

Sure, one could make the argument that he's a dumb dumb who doesn't realize that he needs to increase the DEFCON level, clear embassies, etc. Except his COS is a fucking general. I think someone would be aware.

This is all a game; a dangerous game, but a game none the less, meant to take our collective eyes off the prize.

Even more plausible when you consider he makes these comments without consulting anyone. The transgender ban, where did that even come from? Even his staff had to scramble. Which is basically every day.

Fire and fury? What? And now doubling down on it? And what about his base with not wanting America to police the world and now he floats idea of getting involved with Venezuela??

The noose is tightening. You always follow the money and maybe that's what brings Trump down. Not colluding with Russia but something else

Yeah my favorite part of this is the Trump in sheep's clothing.

It was refreshing to hear *a* candidate swear by not being the world's police. But it didn't take a genius to know Trump had no adhesive to that claim.

Even more plausible when you consider he makes these comments without consulting anyone. The transgender ban, where did that even come from? Even his staff had to scramble. Which is basically every day.

Fire and fury? What? And now doubling down on it? And what about his base with not wanting America to police the world and now he floats idea of getting involved with Venezuela??

The noose is tightening. You always follow the money and maybe that's what brings Trump down. Not colluding with Russia but something else
I can believe he's blustering and trying to look strong for his base, the real problem comes if NK actually do try a test fire around Guam in the near future. How could Trump let that go after all BS he's been spouting?

On another note, this would suggest it's too late for a preemptive strike, NK will very, very soon have the ability to hit the west coast of the US and will probably test to longer ranges.....

http://thediplomat.com/2017/08/us-i...likely-good-enough-to-hit-the-continental-us/

I know I'm sure planning my next vacation to go to a US territory that's being actively threatened by a crazy man.

(I'm sure Guam is lovely.)

Are we all paying attention to what's going on in Charlottesville?

A White Nationalist "Unite The Right" rally was being held in Charlottesville, ostensibly protesting the city's decision to remove a statue of Robert E. Lee. This is a very large rally. These protesters were met with a very large number of counter-protesters from the Left. The rally was to start at noon. Law enforcement tried to shut it down before it started because it was getting too rowdy I guess before the official start time.

Anyway, a little over an hour ago, a car, allegedly driven by someone with the white nationalists, drove into a crowd of anti-protesters at 40mph, injuring at least ten, some severely(not sure if anyone was killed), and then sped away, a hit and run.

This whole thing is very, very ugly.

Yep. I think we can see more and more of this going forward.

Maybe it's best not to counter protest?? I know it's a right but it's clearly obvious it's not going to end well.

Why go?

Trump won't criticise the white supremacists. Unbelievable and shameful.

We now know that at least one person has been killed as a result of the hit-and-run. And apparently the driver has been arrested.

Yep. He will never call them out. They are part of his base and administration.

It also pisses off liberals and the GOP has turned into nothing but trolls. Nearly every cabinet position, policy decision, and tweet has been nothing but a giant Fuck You to liberals.

They won't govern because they can't.

We are fucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom