US Politics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bono mention asside... it's these things that anger you the most about Trump voters. All the things that we do as a country around the world that just get lost, either because he doesn't care or is so disorganized that it just falls through the cracks. So now we just become the ugly America, but without the good things we do that made ourselves feel better about all the crappy things we do. Shit even W was a champion of AIDS releif in the 3rd world.

This is just a sad time.

Couldn't have said it better myself! But I still love America ( I live in Canada) I just hate that it's run by a bunch of morons right now who are destroying everything good about the USA. It's sad indeed!

We are stuck with him until 2024

I fear this might be the case! The comments I saw on other sites about this and about the attack on the Muslims yesterday in London are disgusting and its just not one comment but thousands.! I fear there are just too many people that support this creep and will do everything in their power to keep this arsehole in power for two terms!

The investigation could take years. At the end of it I do believe he'll be impeached, but that might be 2019.

It'll take something crushing for anything to happen sooner... undeniable proof of collusion, money laundering or worse... or something that will attack Trump's business and cause him to resign in order to protect his financial interests.

Otherwise we're stuck with him for a while.

The Bono mention asside... it's these things that anger you the most about Trump voters. All the things that we do as a country around the world that just get lost, either because he doesn't care or is so disorganized that it just falls through the cracks. So now we just become the ugly America, but without the good things we do that made ourselves feel better about all the crappy things we do. Shit even W was a champion of AIDS releif in the 3rd world.

This is just a sad time.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that W. wasn't inherently evil, just a bad president. To me, he still will always have blood on his hands for Iraq. But, I don't think the man knew just how bad it would be. As for Trump, I don't think he gives a shit about anyone but himself.

no chance he makes it to 2024. i doubt he'll be impeached, but he's clearly got advancing dementia. i suspect he will not be able to go through another campaign in 2.5-3 years for health reasons.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that W. wasn't inherently evil, just a bad president. To me, he still will always have blood on his hands for Iraq. But, I don't think the man knew just how bad it would be. As for Trump, I don't think he gives a shit about anyone but himself.

this. i think W genuinely thought he was doing the right thing and that he was being given good intelligence and that what he was being told about WMDs and "being greeted as liberators" was all true. it was a stupid, horrible decision of course but i definitely agree that it was a blunder caused primarily by the administration rather than W being deliberately malevolent.

both stupid men, the difference being that one was just a buffoon surrounded by incompetents, whereas the other is a sociopathic narcissist who is so idiotic he's incapable of thinking about anyone but himself.

Last edited:
Bush was a good guy with bad handlers. He went with the Rumsfeld crowd (sounds like a junior high story) and wound up being used for regime change and to forward a horrible foreign policy. But he still seems like a fun guy to grab a beer with. My opinion is all he ever wanted was to be the Major League Baseball commissioner. Bud Selig aced him out in some behind-the-scenes politicking, and that left GW open for running for President.

So, really, Bud Selig caused GW Bush. If he had become commish, he never runs for office. Bud Selig is the hidden evil (kidding, but not totally...there is some fact to all of this).

Trump could also just die because he's old, in horrible shape, likely has been abusing speed-esque drugs for years, and has a legitimately batshit personal physician.

Bush was a good guy with bad handlers. He went with the Rumsfeld crowd (sounds like a junior high story) and wound up being used for regime change and to forward a horrible foreign policy. But he still seems like a fun guy to grab a beer with. My opinion is all he ever wanted was to be the Major League Baseball commissioner. Bud Selig aced him out in some behind-the-scenes politicking, and that left GW open for running for President.
Nah, fuck that evil asshole.

How dare there be shades of gray, right? Republicans = evil and giving up ground is cause for disdain.

Urghh God, here we go, Nuclear war coming up.......

@realDonaldTrump
While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!

@barbarastarrcnn
Spy satellites detect new activity at DPRK nuclear test site. Mil cmdrs HAVE updated options for Potus no indication he will order action

What a nightmare.

How many people died needlessly as a direct result of George W. Bush's policies?
And I acknowledge that, nor did I say he was above reproach, but anytime someone's brought him up and mentioned he has some good to make up for a lot of bad, you shut that conversation down in a similar manner to above. As I've said before, this is what makes it hard for me, personally, to see your side on things to do with politics because you don't seem to have any give.

Idk I don't want to argue with you about this again. I shouldn't have been snarky. Sorry.

I greatly, greatly resent the idea that saying George Bush is an evil human being is somehow controversial or indicative of some sort of impolite stubbornness. Calling George Bush a "good guy with bad handlers" is, frankly, an offensive rewrite of history and deserved to be called out.

I greatly, greatly resent the idea that saying George Bush is an evil human being is somehow controversial or indicative of some sort of impolite stubbornness. Calling George Bush a "good guy with bad handlers" is, frankly, an offensive rewrite of history and deserved to be called out.

While my words were similar, I still agree with what you're saying here. Though I wouldn't necessarily identify him as "evil." Just a bad leader. And like I said, unforgivable blood on his hands.

The Iraq war was shameful and he has blood on his hands as president. His response to Katrina was also a big black mark on his record. He also did some good things. Both things are true. The good things don't "make up for" the awful, but they exist and don't need to be ignored.

Last edited:
But, but...I am more left than you.

No, seriously...i probably am. Rhetoric is just that, but if you think my comment was an affront to humanity, or specifically the little nugget that was surrounded by a statement that Bud Selig is bad because he allowed GW to be president by stealing the commissioner job is an affront, have at it. It is a bit over the top of a statement to make regarding what was clearly a throwaway "he started hanging out with a bad crowd at school" joke in a larger point about how, for real, the commissioner job may have kept him from being president, but, well...I can't stop you. But it is excessive. And to the topic, I guess, of this band we all love or hate (hard to tell sometimes), yeah, I am glad that Bono guy didn't say "fuck that war mongering baby killer...I ain't talking to him."

In case it wasn't clear, I was infantilizing him with my comment. "But he still seems like a good guy to grab a beer with" after talking of regime change and unnecessary war seemed, in my head, to clearly be a snarky comment. If it was read straight, I guess that's my fault for aassuming the tone was clear

Last edited:
Come on, George W. Bush is a living saint compared to some of the malevolent toads who are in operation today in the Republican party. GW definitely made mistakes, but he generally tried to keep a positive attitude toward Muslims, gave a lot of money to AIDS, and didn't try to target the middle/lower classes in order to steal all their money/benefits. He was a limited but generally decent human being who did his best and had some bad direction but good intentions. You cannot say the same for most of the Republican party today. Despite Bono's repeated attempts to keep a bipartisan outlook, I don't believe that decent people can find a lot of common ground with what's passing for conservative politics today. You can't negotiate with a party whose driving force is greed.

I don't understand why that special election was made such a big deal about... didn't take a genius to predict the result.

I think it was made such a big deal because it was reportedly so close. The final result is not as close as predicted (until yesterday the prediction was that the two candidates were almost tied). Still, the Republicans lost much support in the past months. So hopefully districts that are a bit closer will flip to the Democrats in the next election.

I think it was made such a big deal because it was reportedly so close. The final result is not as close as predicted (until yesterday the prediction was that the two candidates were almost tied). Still, the Republicans lost much support in the past months. So hopefully districts that are a bit closer will flip to the Democrats in the next election.

Yes, by from the dem perspective, paying a lot of money to lose closely is embarrassing. Hyped up for failure.

Centrism loses again, stunning. Ossoff campaigned on nothing other than "I'm not one of those Republicans!" Once again, Democrats running on tone and "not being the other side" fails them.

Just look at the emails this campaign sent out to people. The Democrats. Still. Don't. Get. It.

DCufWcZXgAQNl0g.jpg

They lost by 5 points in Georgia. Chill.

But they spent something like what 25 million on the campaign? The most expensive campaign? I'll give them credit about loosing by only five points, they are getting closer each time now ands yes it's been a rep area for 40 years or so? I was hoping this was the time they beat them. Now we have to listen to trump claim how they won and dems can't do anything! And I am chill you don't need to tell me to chill everytime I am disappointed with something.

Last edited:
Yes, by from the dem perspective, paying a lot of money to lose closely is embarrassing. Hyped up for failure.

Yes I agree, the fact that they spent so much money on this campaign and lost is what I was complaining about mostly. This gives the reps fuel to say it was an embarrassment for the dems. Although the republicans should be worried that they are getting so close in heavily republican areas. Still this will not stop trump and other republicans from boasting a major win.

Centrism loses again, stunning. Ossoff campaigned on nothing other than "I'm not one of those Republicans!" Once again, Democrats running on tone and "not being the other side" fails them.

Just look at the emails this campaign sent out to people. The Democrats. Still. Don't. Get. It.

DCufWcZXgAQNl0g.jpg
cause going further left would surely have been the path to victory in georgia :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while the dems did spend a lot, is it not true they were out spent 2-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom