US Politics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
18447513_10154751707587568_7885231029406476820_n.jpg

Source

I'd think that Republicans have an interest in exploiting Trump's inexperience, but long-term would prefer to have a conventional politician such as Pence in the seat. He is fully on board with all their plans, yes won't be such an epic embarrassment and incalculable risk.

David Brooks has a fitting quote about comparing current events to watergate: the difference is that during Watergate Congress actually cared whether laws were broken.

:corn: because fuck these people.

There is a growing sense that Mr. Trump seems unwilling or unable to do the things necessary to keep himself out of trouble, and that the presidency has done little to tame a shoot-from-the-hip-into-his-own-foot style that characterized his campaign.

There is a fear among some of Mr. Trump’s senior advisers about leaving him alone in meetings with foreign leaders out of concern he might speak out of turn. General McMaster, in particular, has tried to insert caveats or gentle corrections into conversations when he believes the president is straying off topic or onto boggy diplomatic ground.

This has, at times, chafed the president, according to two officials with knowledge of the situation. Mr. Trump, who still openly laments having to dismiss his first national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, has groused that General McMaster talks too much in meetings, and the president has referred to him as “a pain,” according to one of the officials.

In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling — and honest — defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/white-house-staff.html?_r=0

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Nothing has stuck against him, and you have a congress that doesn't care.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Nothing has stuck against him, and you have a congress that doesn't care.

if there's evidence that can back up this memo... logs of the meeting, people who were at the meeting before comey who can verify that trump asked to speak to him alone, comey witnesses who comey told about the meeting after returning from it, etc. etc. then they could present a pretty good obstruction of justice case, which would have to be a game changer for even the republicans.

if there's evidence that can back up this memo... logs of the meeting, people who were at the meeting before comey who can verify that trump asked to speak to him alone, comey witnesses who comey told about the meeting after returning from it, etc. etc. then they could present a pretty good obstruction of justice case, which would have to be a game changer for even the republicans.
Release the tapes!!

i gotta say i'm pretty impressed with how well comey seems to have covered his own ass here.

James Comey is a lawyer (UofChicago educated, one of the best law schools in the world). It's one of the first things you learn - "memo to file" which is to summarize all calls/meetings of importance in writing and keep. Very important means of covering your ass when you have clients that may sue you for malpractice.

James Comey is a lawyer (UofChicago educated, one of the best law schools in the world). It's one of the first things you learn - "memo to file" which is to summarize all calls/meetings of importance in writing and keep. Very important means of covering your ass when you have clients that may sue you for malpractice.

shit i document every important conversation with an employee or employer and i'm a dopey athletic director.

Isn't this just a he said, he said?

I'm not a lawyer, nor will I pretend to understand the law

But Comey writing something down isn't evidence of it happening correct? Not without a recording

I did read a few headlines implying even the Republicans were bothered by this "sharing intelligence" mess.

Obviously I wish the GOP would've shown this level of frustration with Trump oh, say, way back when he first decided to run, but hell, if this is what FINALLY lights a fire under them to actually help get rid of him, then so be it.

Isn't this just a he said, he said?

I'm not a lawyer, nor will I pretend to understand the law

But Comey writing something down isn't evidence of it happening correct? Not without a recording

It obviously isn't evidence in the same way as a recording, but if he wrote memos to file after each call/conversation with Trump, and he can show that they were done at the time (as opposed to after he got fired), and he also shared them with other people or told other people about the contents contemporaneously then that is very, very compelling.

In the same way that if you are being harrassed at work, for example, your first piece of legal advice will be to document everything when it happens, as it happens, and in writing.

It is a he said he said type of situation but if they can get witnesses as I think I just read on CNN that would indicate this happened they could be on to something. I read a headline on CNN that appearantly trump asked everyone to leave the office before trump talked to comey. This could mean anything but given the situation it's pretty damming that trump wanted no one there to eliminate any witnesses of the conversation he was about to have with comey. Edit: I can't seem to find the article where it stated that trump asked people to leave his office but found this blurb on a CNN article regarding the comey memos. "The second big issue with the White House story is, why would Trump ask Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Vice President Mike Pence to leave the room before making the request of Comey unless Trump knew that what he was doing was extremely iffy -- and wanted to avoid witnesses? Or perhaps he knew that Sessions or Pence might stop him before he even made the ask and he didn't want that problem?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom