US Politics - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #881
War Child

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Urghh God, here we go, Nuclear war coming up.......

@realDonaldTrump
While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!

@barbarastarrcnn
Spy satellites detect new activity at DPRK nuclear test site. Mil cmdrs HAVE updated options for Potus no indication he will order action

What a nightmare.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #882
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:44 PM
That's terrifying.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #883
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
How dare there be shades of gray, right? Republicans = evil and giving up ground is cause for disdain.
How many people died needlessly as a direct result of George W. Bush's policies?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #884
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
How many people died needlessly as a direct result of George W. Bush's policies?
And I acknowledge that, nor did I say he was above reproach, but anytime someone's brought him up and mentioned he has some good to make up for a lot of bad, you shut that conversation down in a similar manner to above. As I've said before, this is what makes it hard for me, personally, to see your side on things to do with politics because you don't seem to have any give.

Idk I don't want to argue with you about this again. I shouldn't have been snarky. Sorry.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #885
Blue Crack Addict

I greatly, greatly resent the idea that saying George Bush is an evil human being is somehow controversial or indicative of some sort of impolite stubbornness. Calling George Bush a "good guy with bad handlers" is, frankly, an offensive rewrite of history and deserved to be called out.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #886
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I greatly, greatly resent the idea that saying George Bush is an evil human being is somehow controversial or indicative of some sort of impolite stubbornness. Calling George Bush a "good guy with bad handlers" is, frankly, an offensive rewrite of history and deserved to be called out.

While my words were similar, I still agree with what you're saying here. Though I wouldn't necessarily identify him as "evil." Just a bad leader. And like I said, unforgivable blood on his hands.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #887
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:44 PM
The Iraq war was shameful and he has blood on his hands as president. His response to Katrina was also a big black mark on his record. He also did some good things. Both things are true. The good things don't "make up for" the awful, but they exist and don't need to be ignored.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #888
The Fly

Local Time: 01:44 PM
But, but...I am more left than you.

No, seriously...i probably am. Rhetoric is just that, but if you think my comment was an affront to humanity, or specifically the little nugget that was surrounded by a statement that Bud Selig is bad because he allowed GW to be president by stealing the commissioner job is an affront, have at it. It is a bit over the top of a statement to make regarding what was clearly a throwaway "he started hanging out with a bad crowd at school" joke in a larger point about how, for real, the commissioner job may have kept him from being president, but, well...I can't stop you. But it is excessive. And to the topic, I guess, of this band we all love or hate (hard to tell sometimes), yeah, I am glad that Bono guy didn't say "fuck that war mongering baby killer...I ain't talking to him."

In case it wasn't clear, I was infantilizing him with my comment. "But he still seems like a good guy to grab a beer with" after talking of regime change and unnecessary war seemed, in my head, to clearly be a snarky comment. If it was read straight, I guess that's my fault for aassuming the tone was clear
Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #889
Rock n' Roll Doggie

And the reps won today! Go figure! The dems really need to get their shit together if there is any hope of getting rid of trump. Sad sad sad.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #890
The Fly

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Come on, George W. Bush is a living saint compared to some of the malevolent toads who are in operation today in the Republican party. GW definitely made mistakes, but he generally tried to keep a positive attitude toward Muslims, gave a lot of money to AIDS, and didn't try to target the middle/lower classes in order to steal all their money/benefits. He was a limited but generally decent human being who did his best and had some bad direction but good intentions. You cannot say the same for most of the Republican party today. Despite Bono's repeated attempts to keep a bipartisan outlook, I don't believe that decent people can find a lot of common ground with what's passing for conservative politics today. You can't negotiate with a party whose driving force is greed.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:03 AM   #891
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
And the reps won today! Go figure! The dems really need to get their shit together if there is any hope of getting rid of trump. Sad sad sad.
They lost by 5 points in Georgia. Chill.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:52 AM   #892
Blue Crack Addict

I don't understand why that special election was made such a big deal about... didn't take a genius to predict the result.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 AM   #893
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I don't understand why that special election was made such a big deal about... didn't take a genius to predict the result.
I think it was made such a big deal because it was reportedly so close. The final result is not as close as predicted (until yesterday the prediction was that the two candidates were almost tied). Still, the Republicans lost much support in the past months. So hopefully districts that are a bit closer will flip to the Democrats in the next election.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #894
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
I think it was made such a big deal because it was reportedly so close. The final result is not as close as predicted (until yesterday the prediction was that the two candidates were almost tied). Still, the Republicans lost much support in the past months. So hopefully districts that are a bit closer will flip to the Democrats in the next election.

Yes, by from the dem perspective, paying a lot of money to lose closely is embarrassing. Hyped up for failure.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #895
Blue Crack Addict

Centrism loses again, stunning. Ossoff campaigned on nothing other than "I'm not one of those Republicans!" Once again, Democrats running on tone and "not being the other side" fails them.

Just look at the emails this campaign sent out to people. The Democrats. Still. Don't. Get. It.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #896
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
They lost by 5 points in Georgia. Chill.
But they spent something like what 25 million on the campaign? The most expensive campaign? I'll give them credit about loosing by only five points, they are getting closer each time now ands yes it's been a rep area for 40 years or so? I was hoping this was the time they beat them. Now we have to listen to trump claim how they won and dems can't do anything! And I am chill you don't need to tell me to chill everytime I am disappointed with something.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #897
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Yes, by from the dem perspective, paying a lot of money to lose closely is embarrassing. Hyped up for failure.
Yes I agree, the fact that they spent so much money on this campaign and lost is what I was complaining about mostly. This gives the reps fuel to say it was an embarrassment for the dems. Although the republicans should be worried that they are getting so close in heavily republican areas. Still this will not stop trump and other republicans from boasting a major win.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #898
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Quote:
Centrism loses again, stunning. Ossoff campaigned on nothing other than "I'm not one of those Republicans!" Once again, Democrats running on tone and "not being the other side" fails them.

Just look at the emails this campaign sent out to people. The Democrats. Still. Don't. Get. It.

cause going further left would surely have been the path to victory in georgia
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #899
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
cause going further left would surely have been the path to victory in georgia

Right?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #900
Blue Crack Distributor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while the dems did spend a lot, is it not true they were out spent 2-1?