US Politics - Page 30 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #581
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:57 PM
It would be nice for someone who was a big Hillary supporter in the past and voted Democrat in the previous 4 elections to explain what it was about Trump that swung their vote. What did Trump do or say that made you think he was the best choice? That he (and the Republican Party along with him) would better look out for your interests than Hillary and the Democrats?

Old 06-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #582
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Very true, and the same can be said for racist and xenophobic views as well. I do think recent events have made some people with those views feel much more emboldened to be more open and overt in expressing them again, though.
Yeah, a lot of that stuff is more subtle. I do agree that trump, bannon etc have emboldened, "given permission" to be more verbally violent, and even more physically violent.

And to your previous post, yeah, I get it. It is very frustrating (and upsetting etc)
it's hard not to raise your voice at times!

I was in Times Square today looking at The World Science Festival's secondary site displays. As I went by an area with seats, tables for eating some guy sat down with a T-shirt saying "keep calm and carry guns".

It took some out of me not to say something like " you can go back to your open carry State with that attitude. "
But since I tend towards consideration and he was spending $ in my home town , I let it go.

Thanks for the article, irving . Screen-grabbed for reading at home.

digitize> My Texan friend tells me good things about Austin. Course, I've read many positive articles stuff, too.

OK, homeward bound.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #583
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
It would be nice for someone who was a big Hillary supporter in the past and voted Democrat in the previous 4 elections to explain what it was about Trump that swung their vote. What did Trump do or say that made you think he was the best choice? That he (and the Republican Party along with him) would better look out for your interests than Hillary and the Democrats?
Hillary was untrustworthy, sent e-mails and had a lying husband.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #584
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:57 PM
And she gave favors to the Saudis through her foundation.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #585
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Hillary was untrustworthy, sent e-mails and had a lying husband.

But seriously, what in Trump's message, "vision" and conduct would sway a supposedly informed voter from strong Hillary support and relatively consistent Democrat support to pulling the lever on Trump and this incarnation of the Republican party?

Deep? Care to elaborate?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #586
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
Please do not interrupt the Tribal Council with this kind of talk
I'm so disappointed that while you were seemingly level-headed in the weeks leading up to the election, you have been nothing but sniping since, with no desire to engage in conversation. I've legit tried to talk to you about your opinions, but this is the only level of discourse you seem interested in. Why no desire to engage?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #587
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 01:57 PM
I don't suppose any Trump supporters care that he is sullying the reputation of the United States of America on the world stage, transparently exploiting tragedy to push his own misguided xenophobic agenda. Embarrassing.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #588
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There is nothing to defend. That's why no one from the right even hangs out here.

Or if they do they spout bullshit of triangles and child sex conspiracies.

At best you could call this administration a mess.

And just wait for when a real disaster hits, natural or terrorist. We are not prepared, staffed, or well led to get through it
Old 06-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #589
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I don't suppose any Trump supporters care that he is sullying the reputation of the United States of America on the world stage, transparently exploiting tragedy to push his own misguided xenophobic agenda. Embarrassing.

They don't care because their mindset is that the US has the biggest dick around and therefore what the hell does it matter what some inconsequential liberal wasteland like Scandinavia thinks about them.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #590
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm so disappointed that while you were seemingly level-headed in the weeks leading up to the election, you have been nothing but sniping since, with no desire to engage in conversation. I've legit tried to talk to you about your opinions, but this is the only level of discourse you seem interested in. Why no desire to engage?
212, sincerely appreciate your comments above and the thoughts you bring to the table Truth is I've participated very, very little in the election/Administration threads since about the middle of last summer.

I still read here regularly because it's habit, still entertains, and I do learn something about a particular segment of U.S. voters. Feel like it's important to do that. Also like hearing takes from posters outside the U.S. But as far as free and healthy conversation goes, the forum hasn't been a place for that lately. Compared to when I started hanging around Interference anyway.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #591
Refugee

And that was great timing there
Old 06-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #592
War Child

Trumps tweets were shameful today.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #593
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFox View Post
Trumps tweets were shameful today.
It's still absolutely shocking that this man is the President of the United States. I cannot possibly imagine someone less capable of handling this job.

Living on a prayer that there's no major crisis requiring presidential response while he's in office.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #594
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
It's still absolutely shocking that this man is the President of the United States. I cannot possibly imagine someone less capable of handling this job.

Living on a prayer that there's no major crisis requiring presidential response while he's in office.

Yeah, half a year later and I still can't believe it either. Lucky for me, I've been out of the country the entire time.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #595
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:57 PM
I am so fucking disheartened by all of this right now. It just sucks so very, very much. All of it.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #596
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
They don't care because their mindset is that the US has the biggest dick around and therefore what the hell does it matter what some inconsequential liberal wasteland like Scandinavia thinks about them.
This is true. My immediate family are staunch Trump supporters, and they see the US as this super great country that can do no wrong. I really don't know where they get that sentiment, but I'm sure it is based on ignorance, prejudice, and blind pride. It's like they are terrified to even consider otherwise, as if their very existence depends on this weird patriotism.

I also find it odd that they think the US is better than all other countries, when they can hardly find the US or any other country on the global map!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #597
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://youtu.be/5fXkzQFHiTw

Know I've posted a few Sam Harris podcast, but feel this is relevant to this discussion.

He speaks with David Frum, who's a conservative but couldn't stomach to vote for Trump despite having the same concerns about Clinton as we've heard over and over and over.

Sam and David discuss the different views of what trump supporters are thinking or could be thinking to justify.

Sam went out on twitter and retrieved questions from Trumpsters and they debate the merit
Old 06-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #598
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And I want to make the point too, and I think it's in the podcast.

Those of us that are so against Trump, that want him out of office badly aren't doing so out of some hope that Clinton will magically be placed.

We are wanting Mike Pence in charge. Which thanks to Trump makes me want to puke, but he's so much better than Donald even with the extremist religious concerns that we know Pence carries
Old 06-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #599
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
https://youtu.be/5fXkzQFHiTw

Know I've posted a few Sam Harris podcast, but feel this is relevant to this discussion.

He speaks with David Frum, who's a conservative but couldn't stomach to vote for Trump despite having the same concerns about Clinton as we've heard over and over and over.

Sam and David discuss the different views of what trump supporters are thinking or could be thinking to justify.

Sam went out on twitter and retrieved questions from Trumpsters and they debate the merit

This one was actually pretty good, and I got a lot out of it. The last one was just god awful, I have no issue with his stance on religion, but his grasp and facts on religion are so erroneous and arrogantly misguided.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #600
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

While I don't want to go off topic, I wouldn't consider Sam's view on religion to be off. That last podcast he was reading word for word from the ISIS magazine.

But it is his interpretation of religions and that can be debated.

Back to Trump, what I took from that is you had two very different people on the political spectrum who are just flabbergasted with how Trump has gotten to where he is, aside from Sam saying that Trump may end up being the greatest con man we've ever seen.

Also found it interesting that both he and Frum feel there is a shift in society that now we support a person or party over country versus country first.