US Politics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bizarre that all the vitrial and hostility thrown at me in here is coming from people that need votes from people like me to win and have benefited from people like me in 4 of the last 5 elections.

You're so humble. Kinda like Trumpy.

This election was determined by swing voters, as most elections are,

I know you voted for her in November as most in here that voted did.

I have no idea who I will vote for in 2020, ill have to wait and how things are in 2020, and the candidates.

I think most voters in here only vote one side always.

I happen to be a real swing voter. In the last 5 Presidental elections I have voted Dem 4 times and GOP 1.

Bizarre that all the vitrial and hostility thrown at me in here is coming from people that need votes from people like me to win and have benefited from people like me in 4 of the last 5 elections.

Look at all these Fake Posts attacking me because their crooked votes lost so hard in November. Sad

This election was determined by swing voters, as most elections are,
I know you voted for her in November as most in here that voted did.

I have no idea who I will vote for in 2020, ill have to wait and how things are in 2020, and the candidates.

I happen to be a real swing voter. In the last 5 Presidental elections I have voted Dem 4 times and GOP 1.
Awww i feel so sorry for you. Do you want a hug?

So deep you only voted to spite what you felt was an "elitist" attitude?

There's no way you can look at this Administration and say anything other than a disaster. Yes, the markets have done well, but that's only due to the eventual tax cuts and deregulation of certain industries.

I just don't know how anything will ever improve going forward. There is no savior, no candidate on either side who will unite the country, and I don't think the country can unite. It's now a US vs THEM, and each side see's the other as THEM.

Let's hope France, Germany, and maybe even China take the lead, cause we aren't going to do it (and you could argue we haven't done it for a while)

yes. it's our fault that you voted to destroy the country and hand the keys to Putin.

we should have done more to stop you from voting for an obviously unqualified sex offender with no knowledge of how government works.

BEAL
A lot of polls through the past ?10-20 years still show that right-wing Republicans and Conservatives still only make up a 30% +/- amount of the voting public. How the non-voters are factored in (or not) idk. So it seems it's not split down he middle.

Like I have said after Goldwater lost over the decades the right-wing Republicans & Conservatives basically planned to retake America by building up in local, and especially State Legislations & Governorships for state controls AND being able to have State Secretaries (voting issues) and the ability to gerrymander-on-steroids. And more recently enacting "Voters ID" laws w their biases, and not easy to get issues for potential, or lapsed voters that tend to vote Democratic.

Agree, it's not a level playing field.

Gerrymandering, Voter ID laws, and then our out dated Electoral College method of choosing a leader have all contributed to a divide.

I don't know how that changes though?

You don't vote for someone because of the other supporters, you don't vote due to their "vitrial"(perceived or real), if you do you were conned.

Well the greedy, idiot king has gone and done itl then, huh? Buh-by Paris Accord...
:scream: :crack:

As someone who fought for Renewable Energy all through the 80's (and antinuclear power, too) after Reagan took down Carter's WH solar panels (marched against RR's anti-labor actions , too) this just is so dispiriting.

But two things keeps the "we're all gonna die" meme at bay much of the time is knowing that certain US States and many of our cities are still going to push ahead with all the various things to be done to mitigate some of future climate change effects. It still is truly a scary, and terrifying prospect at times. But maybe new inventions, way of living changes and human's ability to adapt will/?might get us through. I fear for the extinction though of more species of plants, and animals.

Last edited:
Agree, it's not a level playing field.

Gerrymandering, Voter ID laws, and then our out dated Electoral College method of choosing a leader have all contributed to a divide.

I don't know how that changes though?

As the great progressive radio host Thom Hartman has said progressives need to "infiltrate" more of local Democratic elections and work their way up... as the rightists did after Goldwater.

If we are careful maybe some sane military people around Trump can keep him from doing something stupid/insane that will truely send the world to hell. Or somehow he doesn't do something that dangerous for the world (I was 9 at the time of the Cuban Missle Crisis but was quite aware :yikes:). We'll get to 2018 and maybe take back the House or get very close. There still is occasional bipartisanship that's helpful.

Was it you or someone else here who talked about wanting the world to end? Re: Christian Evangelists?

From what I've read there are two types: the ones who say the rapture will happen when it happens, AND waaaay more scary the ones that want to #ahem# "hasten" it.

And I don't know which view Pence might hold. :|

Last edited:
Now, to clear a earlier posting matter up...

I have no idea what point this post is trying to make, but you're surprised that the man who oversaw Japanese American internment camps was racist?

1)
If you reread my post it said "waaay more racist".

2) I can't afford internet at home. Thus I depend on taking my tablet (a very nice one that a friend snagged for me on line for 38$ when that version came out, and even that took took 2 payments to her) to the library the underground subway stations, a few parks etc for free WiFi. Don't get there every day. It can be sometimes 5 days or more which in this current political crisis is near an eternalty.

Oh, :der:
My tablet typing just froze up there.

To continue then >>>
The subway Wifi cuts off after an hour but you can reconnect!
However that evening my battery ran out just as I was sending my (earlier) post and it cut off the last part of my text.
Which is why it didn't make sense.

What I was trying to get to was that FDR's Economic Bill of Rights (or Second Bill of Rights) wanted to give every worker "regardless of race, creed," (and something else) a job that paid enough to get decent food, clothing, housing, healthcare, a vacation, and good education.

For the business person he wanted fair competition and protection from Monopolies.

He wanted protection for the elderly, the sick, and injured (unable to work).

Rightists , and many Corporations fought him. In the end what passed was the GI Bill of Rights (helped my dad!).

excellent article in Bill Moyer's website (2014 articles) on how FDR came to this proposal through wartime (WW2) and the serious industrialization of America.

I hope this clears it all up, PF. :) ( and anyone else)

Last edited:

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why anyone who voted Democrat in recent years would ever support Trump. I can sympathize with the frustration over any issues that the Democratic Party does have...but I do not understand how they think supporting a nutjob like Trump is the solution to that.

I lean left, so yeah, for the most part I'm likely going to keep voting Democratic/independent. But if there were a moderate Republican who didn't get hung up on the social conservatism BS, and who actually came up with a decent, viable economic plan that wasn't the same old "tax cuts for the rich/trickle down economics" nonsense, and who was actually willing to support some of the Democratic policies from time to time and work with the party instead of have a "Everything Obama did sucks, let's get rid of it all!" attitude, then hey, send 'em on out, I'm all ears and I'll give them a look.

As it stands now, though, I just cannot in good conscience support the GOP for the foreseeable future. They're still frighteningly backwards on LGBT issues, their views on healthcare and the people who need it are offensive and appalling, their obsession with trying to restrict women's access to birth control and abortion angers me to no end, their refusal to more openly call Trump out on his crap is frustrating, their attitude on climate change has pretty much ensured my generation and future ones are screwed and will be left picking up the mess, so hey, thanks for that, guys, appreciate it, the religious right attitude needs to just go... People who are negatively impacted by that party's policies have every right to spout "vitriol and hostility", because those policies are borne from hate and ignorance and harm society as a whole. Why shouldn't they be angry about that, or at the people who support that?

Yes, the Democrats are far from perfect. No question. Yes, they definitely need to take stock of their own party and figure out where to go from here, and grow more of a spine and fix their own issues. But even on their worst day, they aren't as bad as the GOP are right now. They're just not.

And I am so incredibly tired of the "elitist" argument. I agree with the liberal frustration towards Trump supporters, and I'm about as far from being part of the Democratic "elite" as you can get. Trust me, I know exactly what people here in "middle America" are going through with the jobs and the dying towns and whatnot. I know firsthand the struggles they're dealing with, because I'm struggling with them, too, and I'm related to people who are also struggling. And I STILL can't for the life of me understand how the hell they thought Trump was the answer to their problems. I have no problem calling those people ignorant, because the fact is that they are. Whether it's through simply not understanding or simply not caring, I don't know, but it's true.

And as BVS said, we need to quit being so forgiving of blatant, open ignorance from people who clearly know better. If they know full well the crap they're saying isn't true, and yet they say it anyway, that is wrong. And we should not be tolerating that anymore. That's what's getting us into so much trouble right now.

Tell us how you REALLY feel ,ML.
:hug:

One of the startling (in a good way ) thing recently was one of my favorite local public radio hosts who in general a mild mannered, but witty man who on the rarest of occasions will somewhat flare-up at extremely racist, sexist etc remarks - usually it's more of a you can "hear" one eyebrow going up in a ironic, or mildly disagreeing way.

So now that I've actually heard him call trump a liar outright. Wow. Oh, I agree, but wow. And yay!

take care folks. Out of subway WiFi.

Tell us how you REALLY feel ,ML.
:hug:

Heh :p.

Seriously, believe me, I will gladly continue to engage in conversation with people who are willing to do so regardless of how much I might disagree with them, and I fully agree being respectful is generally the good way to go when it comes to discussion and whatnot, if for no other reason than not wanting to stoop to the level of some of the nastier rhetoric out there. I'm fascinated by hearing other viewpoints, I like trying to figure out why people think the way they do, and I would love for both parties to work together where possible to make things better for this country as a whole. If this party ever does miraculously support and pass something worthwhile, I'll be the first to acknowledge that.

But the fact is that the chances of that happening don't seem very likely, and so it's just so hard to not get frustrated and angry lately with all the stuff going on, and watching Trump acting like a buffoon and embarrassing our country on a regular basis.

Also, Dazz, the stories about the nooses. Charming :|.

Last edited:
On a more entertaining note, check out this awesome response from the mayor of Austin to a truly appalling letter complaining about the "women only" screening of the 'Wonder Woman' film at one of the city's theaters:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mayor-austin-responds-perfectly-letter-200051088.html

Does Adler want to try his hand at running for the Democratic Party in 2020, by any chance? 'Cause judging from this response, I'd be totally okay with that.

(That letter Adler responded to, though. So much WTF I don't even know where to begin :crack:.)

Last edited:
On a more entertaining note, check out this awesome response from the mayor of Austin to a truly appalling letter complaining about the "women only" screening of the 'Wonder Woman' film at one of the city's theaters:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mayor-austin-responds-perfectly-letter-200051088.html

Does Adler want to try his hand at running for the Democratic Party in 2020, by any chance? 'Cause judging from this response, I'd be totally okay with that.

(That letter Adler responded to, though. So much WTF I don't even know where to begin :crack:.)

Loved the letter; made me proud to be an Austinite-in-exile (who still spends ~50% of each week in Austin).

That said, it's probably worth remembering that a lot of sexism is a lot subtler and less bombastic than what the letter highlights.

just stop. seriously. the trolling is beyond tiresome, and don't forget it does say in the rules that it's not allowed.

Very true, and the same can be said for racist and xenophobic views as well. I do think recent events have made some people with those views feel much more emboldened to be more open and overt in expressing them again, though.

Agreed, unfortunately.

re. the Paris Agreement, well it's looking like the whole world is basically united against Trump, plus 76 mayors in the US have already pledged to uphold the agreement within their jurisdictions...

this will only make our resolve stronger - after Trump's disastrous trip to Europe, refusing to endorse Article 5 to come to mutual aid, re. Nato, lecturing other world leaders on fake/alternative facts re. Nato, basically being obnoxious and physically aggressive to other world leaders, well, it's just basically made him even more reviled here, and united everyone against him - he is a typical bully - did he expect everyone to respond by going "oh nooo yes we are all wrong and you are sooo soooo superior, we bow to your greatness?" like a typical narcissist would? (i was brought up by one, so this behaviour and general approach to life is sadly way too familiar to me - my father was/is my benchmark of how NOT to be LOL, and the similarities in terms of behaviour/character traits are horribly eerie), no - the rest of the world, we basically say fuck you you orange clown

Last edited:
French President Macron ended his speech today with "Make our planet great again."

#leadership

Gee, we're really setting a low bar these days.

Macron is trolling Trump - it's pretty funny in a sick kind of way :D

although it's disheartening to have to sink to Trump's level just so he can understand

i reckon world leaders need to figure out pretty sharpish that you can NEVER win an argument with a sociopathic narcissist, they don't know how to reason, so there's not actually any point in going there - the only solution is distance and alienation - he will just need to be ostracised if that's possible

Science and scientific vitriol are alienating those voters that we REALLY NEED to come onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom