US Olympic Flag Bearer Speaks Out About Being Sexually Abused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11253588/

On Friday night, she will lead the U.S. team into the opening ceremony of the Turin Games, proudly bearing the U.S. flag. She is no longer burdened, however, by the 20-year-old secret that she was sexually abused as a child.

After she competed in Salt Lake City in 2002 and underwent therapy, Witty went public with an account of how a trusted neighbor in suburban Milwaukee had abused her, starting at age 4 and continuing until she was 11 — and her subsequent feelings of guilt, an inability to trust people, awkwardness as a teenager, and serious depression.

Revealing the truth and talking about it openly — even though it sometimes makes adults “squirm in their chairs a little bit” — has changed her and helped other victims, she said.

“I enjoy everything about life right now — everything. I’m just really happy. I’m able to enjoy everything. I’m not depressed all the time and I’m not worried about anything, about myself or my appearance or things like that,” she said.

“I have nothing to be ashamed of. It wasn’t my fault, and I’m just happy to share my story and help other people,” she said. “The ripple effect was incredible. I could not believe how many stories I got in return.”

Now she is a spokeswoman for child abuse awareness programs, telling children how “things can happen in your life but you can still go on to do great things.”

I'm looking forward to seeing her tomorrow night. Yippee, the Olympics are about to start! I'll be glued to the tube for two weeks.

Good for her. I wonder how many can overcome that, particularly when they can't find an outlet that helps them feel good about themselves. You can logic it out, but sometimes I think you need something outside good that happens and begins to help you restore your trust again. We'd like to believe it can be overcome by sheer will...

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
Now she is a spokeswoman for child abuse awareness programs, telling children how “things can happen in your life but you can still go on to do great things.”

Giving hope to so many others :up:

That's sad. Although I am sorry to hear this story this happens to many many others who don't have the outlet of professional help, or talking publicly about their past.

Carek1230 said:
That's sad. Although I am sorry to hear this story this happens to many many others who don't have the outlet of professional help, or talking publicly about their past.

I agree.
I am happy she was able to leave that behind, but I don't like particularly the fact that she decided to say this to the world in this occasion. I cannot really explain you why... it's just a feeling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom