US Military Is "Sure" It Will Capture Bin Laden This Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I'd be willing to bet it might be before Nov :| I do want him captured, no matter what the motivation is, but I'm very skeptical that he will be.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/st...ff/story/0001/20040129/2313741813.htm&sc=1104

U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty's prediction about capturing bin Laden comes as the Army readied a spring offensive against Taliban and al-Qaida holdouts. A U.S. official hinted Wednesday that the offensive might extend into Pakistan

Since last month's capture of Saddam Hussein, American commanders in Afghanistan have expressed new optimism about finding bin Laden. Hilferty said the military - the United States has 11,000 men in the country - now believes it could seize him within months.

``We have a variety of intelligence and we're sure we're going to catch Osama bin Laden and Mullah Omar this year,'' Hilferty said. ``We've learned lessons from Iraq and we're getting improved intelligence from the Afghan people.''

Seriously I'd be very happy if this :censored: :censored: :censored: jerk got busted today, tomorrow or next week. He's evil. The Turks rightly or wrongly think he is behind the Istanbul bombings. The guys busted for the atrocity are followers of his, and claim they talked to him twice in 2002.

Last edited:
Of course, if bin Laden is dead (which is likely, considering the fact that he had brittle bones and was on dialysis to prevent kidney failure), then we will never capture him and may never get closure.

Melon

I hope that comment is not directed towards the men and women who are working hard night and day and risking their lives in Afghanistan and elsewhere to bring Bin Ladin to justice.

STING2 said:
I hope that comment is not directed towards the men and women who are working hard night and day and risking their lives in Afghanistan and elsewhere to bring Bin Ladin to justice.

Which comment STING2? I assure you, I have the utmost respect for those men and women, and would never want to indicate otherwise. I sincerely apologize if it seemed like I was disrespecting them and what they do.

I'm just a wee bit cynical about this administration, that's all.

if bin Laden is dead (which is likely, considering the fact that he had brittle bones and was on dialysis to prevent kidney failure), then we will never capture him and may never get closure.

Who cares? This is probably a rather un-Christian sentiment to hold, but if this is the case...well let's just say he will be held to account by his Maker. Good enough for me.

Last edited:
speedracer said:
Who cares? This is probably a rather un-Christian sentiment to hold, but if this is the case...well let's just say he will be held to account by his Maker. Good enough for me.

I care about as much as you apparently do, but other people won't get closure, and, hence, we'll have the specter of bin Laden hanging over our heads for the next two decades to further a "war on terror," until it is physically impossible for him to still be alive.

Melon

sting2, i got respect for all the ones who are working in iraq and afghanistan, i also got a friend there who does voluntary work in nassirya. there are too many who are talking to capture bin laden while he's still killing a lot of people. the problem is, politicians shouldn't deceive us with all these proclamations. bin laden is the most dangerous "man" in this world, and he got a very infinite organization, it isn't so simple to say: "we gonna catch him!" say it to the mothers and fathers whose sons have been killed. if they will capture him, this would be the best day in my life, but please, don't do promises that you may not keep

I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever for all of our fine men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I do want Osama bin Laden to be captured. He had something to do with the Istanbul bombings, most likely. That was less than three months ago. He's dangerous as hell. Ugh. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

babyman,

Politicians did not make this anouncement, Army Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty did!

STING2 said:

The Bush Administration use them as cannon fodder to boost his approval ratings and enhance their Nov. election chances.

STING2 said:
babyman,

Politicians did not make this anouncement, Army Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty did!

yes, of course, i was just doing a larger talk. but i don't know how much distance you may find between politicians a nd militaries in times of war...i mean, politicians decide and militaries take action, or is it different? and besides, president bush, like many of his national and international collaborators, has several times promised that he will SURELY catch bin laden, or am i wrong? anyway, i've already kept a bottle of champagne in my fridge to make a party if bin laden would be catched. but in the moment, he's free, he continues to be the first enemy of human beings, and most of all, he menaced again! so it isn't important WHO does anouncements or promises, what counts is that no one should deceive people, especially the ones whose sons and daughters are risking their lives EVERYDAY. just give hope, but do no promises or speeches like hilferty did, because if other thousands people would be involved in another wild and cowardly act of terrorism, then hilferty or whoever should go to these families and wipe their tears

babyman,

Lt. Col. Hilferty is risking his life everyday in Afghanistan . Where do you get the idea that he is trying to decieve anyone? He has a difficult job to do everyday. Lt. Col. Hilferty's work is part of the reason why Bin Ladin has been unsuccessful in launching another major terrorist attack in the 2 and a half years since 9/11.

My message to Lt. Col. Hilferty is :up:

Sting, I salute Lt. Col Hilferty, his courage, and his commitment. However, I would call the Istanbul bombings a major terrorist act. The guys who got busted for the bombing claim they talked to bin Laden twice during 2002. The Turks think the Istanbul cell of Al Qaeda is shot now, but unfortunately they committed mass murder first.

"I would call the Istanbul bombings a major terrorist act."

Its not on the level of 9/11 which is what I was refering to.

True, not nearly as many people were killed in Istanbul as there were in New York. But I'm sure you'll agree with me that it was a loathesome, cowardly and disgusting crime. To me it shows that we're not out of the woods with bin Laden and his evil minions, and we need to get him to knock the terrorists out of commission.

yes sting2, i agree that he's risking his life, like many others, everyday, and i admire their work, these are heroes, but the sense of what i've said is different, because if you say that you're sure to catch him late in november, and then you do not, and maybe in the meantime this crazy man does another attack killing other people, what happens then? that's the deceive. and he's doing other attacks, istanbul was not the only one, he made about 50 other attacks, not like 9/11, but people died anyway! there's a difference when you say "we're trying to do our best and we're doing a hard work to catch him" and "we gonna catch him surely this year"...there's a big difference. verte76, istanbul was a big catastrophe, yes, a lot of human lives ended. i totally agree with what you're saying,that's the same sense of what i mean. as long as this bastard is out there, we're all in high danger, because he's menacing all of us over and over again, and we can't be sure.

babyman,

You don't know the information Lt. Col. Hilferty has or how military forces are going to use that to catch Bin Ladin. Its still in open question as to whether Bin Ladin has been involved with any attacks since 9/11. Claiming you did the attack or someone claiming they met Bin Ladin is not proof.

But most importantly, I think Lt. Col. Hilferty deserves respect rather than "Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah".

One of my connections for Turkey is a tour writer who is from the U.S. but practically lives in Turkey. He regularly gets reports from the State Department. He says it's not clear exactly who did the Istanbul bombing but it's likely it was Al Qaeda. The guys that got busted do indeed claim that they talked to bin Laden, but I admit that I can't produce concrete evidence that they did. Maybe they are saying this stuff for terrorist effect, i.e, trying to scare the Turkish moderates and their allies, the U.S. I do agree that we need to get bin Laden, and indeed Bush himself hasn't backed off of wanting to bust the :censored:. As long as the :censored: is out there he's a threat. Someone bombed Istanbul. That's all that matters. I feel like bin Laden is still dangerous, more so in places like Pakistan than in Turkey. Pakistan is a disaster waiting to happen. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Last edited:
yes, pakistan is another very dangerous situation. the istanbul bombing, i think it was claimed by al qaeda if i'm not wrong. anyway, al qaeda claimed a lot of kamikaze attacks. have you heard of nassirya, verte?

Yeah, there was a vicious attack in Nassaryah. It's hard to keep up with all of the attacks and bombings in Iraq because they have been so many. They busted two Iraqis and two Saudis--Wahhabists--in connection with the bombing of a Shia mosque. There are reports of a "sister group" of Al Qaeda in northern Iraq where Iraq's Kurdish political party headquarters were bombed last week. The attack on Istanbul was vicious. The British consulate and a British owned bank were bombed five days after the synagogues were bombed. My avatar is a painting I did protesting the Istanbul outrages. This job isn't done.
Pakistan. Holy :censored: that place scares me. It's so unstable, they have Taliban supporters galore, it's a terrorist haven, God help us.

all this situation makes me real sad, i live in italy, and that fu..er sweard to hit one big city, to do something cowardly like his usual style...why do we live in such a world... what do you think why is this all happening, verte? can it be just hate, money, power...what do you think it's the real reason?

babyman,

"maybe you've neither read what i wrote"

If you re-read what you have said in this thread, you should find where you said "blah,blah,blah,blah"

babyman said:
all this situation makes me real sad, i live in italy, and that fu..er sweard to hit one big city, to do something cowardly like his usual style...why do we live in such a world... what do you think why is this all happening, verte? can it be just hate, money, power...what do you think it's the real reason?

It's all of them.....hate, greed for power and money.........these guys are f:censored:d in the head. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom