US guys: draft- would you go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeloo

War Child
I was wondering. Hopefully the draft will never start back up. But what if it does? If you are an American guy who is or soon will be drafting age I'd like to hear what you think. Would you go for a good cause, like if the US were invaded by North Korea, but not for a lame one, like Iraq? Or not at all? Tell us how you feel.

It took a lot of reverse psychology on my wife's part to have me not enlist again after 9/11. I had three recruiters from the army, navy, and air force looking for me. I went into all three to explore my options. I was ready, but, something stopped me.

yes, I am in.

nbcrusader said:
It is part of the responsibility of citizenship.

I dont wish to assume or put words in your mouth, nor start a debate, but is there a direct contrary statement to this as well for you?
I.e, to not enlist is not fulfilling what responsibilities citizenship defines?

*assuming one is fit and passes all necessary requirements.

At the age of 18 every male citizen in the US is is required by law to register with the selective service. This is so that you are registered for a draft in the event that the US needs to implement it. That is what NB is talking about....

I think..hehe

Actually, no that was worded poorly. I understand (the basics) of a draft, but this implies well, I'm not sure. At 18 everyone is required to register, if there is a draft you have no recourse, save physical/other problems, to refuse?

Hmm, this is not a choice then?

lol

But thank goodness there is no mandatory draft right now and hasn't been since 1974. I doubt it will be reinstated barring a national emergency for 2 reasons- one, the backlash would be more than any administration would get itself into, and, two, as long as there are a lack of good jobs with a future in this country, the military will not lack recruits.

Back
Top Bottom