US gov't arresting US soldiers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
Apparently, soldiers over in Iraq defied an order to go on a fuel run because their equipment was completely unsafe. They've been taken away by the government -- all 17 soldiers -- and are charged with defying orders.

link

It's on CNN as well.

This is a matter of serious concern, but the facts are still quite sketchy, so I'm reserving judgment for now.

The CNN report indicates that the job was eventually carried out by others. Don't know how time-sensitive the job was though.

nbcrusader said:
I wonder what the troops who need the fuel feel about this....

they feel led down by their Government that has lied to them and send them in harms way under prepared

while haliburton is over charging for gassoline

This happens in every conflict. Inevitably, soldiers fail to perform their duty. It is no different now than it was in the Gulf in 91 or Vietnam or Korea or WWII for that matter. It's just that these days it is being used for political purposes. Not obeying orders is a serious offense. Their CO should be punished appropriately. What these guys did was endanger the lives of their buddies. Period. Cowardly to say the least. They are where they are. Second guessing the politics of it doesn't change that. As a former military officer, it frankly makes me sick.

verte76 said:
Ooh, this is not pretty. I wonder how this will come out in the wash?

Really clingy and wrinkly with pilling all over the place.

Boston01 said:
This happens in every conflict. Inevitably, soldiers fail to perform their duty. It is no different now than it was in the Gulf in 91 or Vietnam or Korea or WWII for that matter. It's just that these days it is being used for political purposes. Not obeying orders is a serious offense. Their CO should be punished appropriately. What these guys did was endanger the lives of their buddies. Period. Cowardly to say the least. They are where they are. Second guessing the politics of it doesn't change that. As a former military officer, it frankly makes me sick.

So you agree with suicide missions?

Apparently not a suicide mission if it was accomplished subsequently. Using the logic of fear in the military would have been real interesting in our nations past. Would we have fought the battle of the buldge? Our soldiers had no winter clothing (many without boots), barely enough to eat and hardly any ammunition. In fact, many men had no weapons. I can cite dozens of other compaigns with similar circumstance. One of the saddest was in Somalia. We didn't have any armored vehicles and had to have the Pakistan army save our downed pilots and support troops.

Boston01 said:
Apparently not a suicide mission if it was accomplished subsequently. Using the logic of fear in the military would have been real interesting in our nations past. Would we have fought the battle of the buldge? Our soldiers had no winter clothing (many without boots), barely enough to eat and hardly any ammunition. In fact, many men had no weapons. I can cite dozens of other compaigns with similar circumstance. One of the saddest was in Somalia. We didn't have any armored vehicles and had to have the Pakistan army save our downed pilots and support troops.

It was completed by a group with entirely different circumstances and equipment. All I'm saying is until one knows the whole story you may want to hold back on calling people cowardly and explain to us how sick you are. I know questioning your officer is frowned upon in the military but sometimes it saves lives.

I'm commenting on the facts as I know them. If there is more to the story so be it. And btw thank you for the insult. Questioning officers is not only frowned upon. It is dangerous to those involved and to others. Order is very important in military operations. Those who are disorderly often get people killed. If the CO had a problem with the order, they should have followed the proper channels. If more detail shows they did, good for him. If they didn't they should be prosecuted according to the UCMJ.

The point of this story is not they disobeyed an order. Its the fact that the government is not giving them what they need to perform their jobs. There is a difference between the Battle of the Bulge and simply driving a fuel truck that has no protection. We shouldn't be sending our troops to Iraq like this. They should be prepared.

I understand the point. As unfortunate as it is, this has always been the case. There are always units ill equiped. I agree they should get what they need, but in all practice that just does not always happen.

Boston01 said:
I'm commenting on the facts as I know them. If there is more to the story so be it. And btw thank you for the insult. Questioning officers is not only frowned upon. It is dangerous to those involved and to others. Order is very important in military operations. Those who are disorderly often get people killed. If the CO had a problem with the order, they should have followed the proper channels. If more detail shows they did, good for him. If they didn't they should be prosecuted according to the UCMJ.

What insult?

All I'm saying is I think you jumped to conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom