US Electoral Processes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiphop

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
International Observers Recommend Reforms of US Electoral Processes to Boost Public Confidence

In a report released Thursday, October 21, members of an unprecedented international election observation team to the United States are recommending a series of reforms that should be made at the federal, state and county levels to guarantee fair elections in the U.S. The group of veteran election observers call for non-partisan electoral administration, greater poll observation, and paper trails for touch screen voting.

http://www.globalexchange.org/

Florida and Ohio don´t allow that kind of control.

In FL, only the district of Leon has allowed an election observation team. The districts of Miami - Dade, Ft. Lauderdale and Broward have not answered the requests of the NGO.

How come, after the desaster some years ago?

There isn't a standard procedure for certifying elections observers most of the states in the US. Beside in my opinion there is more to it to deter fraud and offenses in elections. There have been a large number of cases throughout elections cycle of random errors in the voting machines, attempts to ruled out registration forms of voters (allegedly from certain areas, especially african american urban areas) by a very complicated (I'd say deceiving) forms of voters registration. There should be a standard response on admissibility of voters registration, which information are mandatory (address, age, and choice of residence if a voter has more than one) and other not mandatory information which shouldn't be used to ruled out eligibility of voters to be registered for the elections.

Papertrail could impede secrecy of voting, needs careful approach. Reforms a must, and its dueable.

A.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
I
In FL, only the district of Leon has allowed an election observation team. The districts of Miami - Dade, Ft. Lauderdale and Broward have not answered the requests of the NGO.

How come, after the desaster some years ago?

Apparently they don't think it was a disaster since it served one party quite well. :angry:

Yesterday at work I saw in one of the local newspapers that registrations are going on at record pace. There have been a whole slew of voter registrations around here. Work is the only place I ever look at the newspapers these days. I at least have to look at the front pages because they are right out there on the tables around the shelves where I'm cleaning up. We had a controversy here in the gubernatorial election two years ago, but we have paper ballots, we're not a swing state, it's a solid Bush state. So if there is, God forbid, another controversy, it won't be here.

Important thing to do is to encourage other states to do what Colorado did. All members of electoral college from Colorado had agreed that they are not going to cast individual votes but instead they will split CO's 9 votes to reflect the proportion of all candidates polled in elections in that state. Now that is huge leap! :applaud:

FA

Last edited:
FallenAngel: That proposal isn't in effect yet. On 2 November the voters can also cast their votes in a referendum about this issue. A few weeks ago, the majority was for this change, but I think that the general opinion has changed to being against the change.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. New Hampshire and Nevada are the only other 2 states who do not follow the winner-takes-all principle 100%.

Yup I thought so. Why would they burn their own bridges? History noted that Bush won the 2000 elections largely because of the electoral college system. Any single past the post system is winner takes all system, just that the 'winner' definition is conflictual in the US system. Especially when it is too close to call, when its likely to be (again)

:)

FA.

*edited because I mistyped the year. thanks A wanderer! :)

Last edited:
Please be quiet FallenAngel, by coming back before the election and telling people the result you have altered the timeline and may change the results.

Back
Top Bottom