US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you or Diamond haven't seen those that have commented on Obama's words...

I don't think faith takes any part, whatsoever. Many do, that's the problem. The problem is many voters think it does take a part. They are looking for it...

So I can understand Obama's comments, I'm not exactly comfortable with it but I understand.

But I haven't seen anyone "harrassed".

diamond said:

If he were a conservative he would have been harrassed for those comments 24/7.

dbs

Yeah. I would give a conservative more trouble for saying that than I do Obama. Mostly because conservatives have shown a willingness to legislate away my choices and rights in the name of such a Kingdom. I haven't seen that yet from him. When I do, I'll start hollering even louder.

diamond said:

If he were a conservative he would have been harrassed for those comments 24/7.

dbs

are you trying to say that conservative and liberal ideals of "the kingdom" are the same? otherwise, i don't see your point. because i think it is quite obvious that liberal minded people are going to support a liberal notion and conservative minded people will support a conservative notion.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I'll start posting some nasty lil pictures in regard to Mormons

Why?

hrch.jpg

:shrug:

unico said:

are you trying to say that conservative and liberal ideals of "the kingdom" are the same? .

No.

That speaking in a church by a politician is diametrically opposed to the liberals' oft repeated mantra of "seperation of church and state."

That you guys took no offense of it wreaks of hypocrisy.

dbs

Originally posted by diamond No.

That speaking in a church by a politician is diametrically opposed to the liberals' oft repeated mantra of "seperation of church and state."

dbs

No. Wrong. Again.

To accuse of hypocrisy, you need to understand the other side of the argument.

The main problems liberals have are that conservatives attempt to implement religion into legislation. See: abortion and same-sex marriage.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — He wouldn't say which presidential candidate he supports by name, but former Mexico President Vicente Fox made clear Monday on CNN's Larry King Live who he hopes will be the next occupant of the White House.

"A lady would be my choice," the man who served as Mexico's president from 2000-2006 said, when asked if he had a favorite in the White House race.

Asked if he was referring to Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton, Fox repeated that he'd prefer a woman in the White House.

"There ain't no other lady running," King noted.

"I think that women show their vision, their capacities, their emotions, their passion, their compassion," Fox continued. "And to me governments and politicians need huge doses of that of religion, of spiritual values, of letting themselves be guided by God and not just polls."

Fox also said former President Bill Clinton is an "inspiration" and said Clinton, along with former President Jimmy Carter, have shown "that there is life after the presidency."

diamond said:

No.

dbs

okay actually i'm more offended from what you said. why do you assume that liberals are godless? you have no idea. you need to stop with that. some liberals do go to church. if a politican wants to go there and, once again, engage in discussion with like-minded people about like-minded ideals, then what is the problem?

i have no problems with politicians being of any sort of religion. i'm not mccain. what i don't want is a narrow minded interpretation of christian idealology being used to create law enforced discrimination.

Well to be fair, I don't think he was saying liberals are godless(at least this time, he's made references to it several times in the past though). I just think he's trying to point out some hypocrisy that he thinks he sees.

Speaking in a church does seem to cross a gray line of separation of church and state, but I didn't see anything about making legislation... that's something Diamond doesn't seem to understand.

unico said:

okay actually i'm more offended from what you said. why do you assume that liberals are godless? enforced discrimination.

No.
That is a misread on your part.

I only pointed out most liberals would have a conniption if a conservative were campaigning in a church-(espousing what their beliefs and understanding of Christianity were)-and if you're honest you'll admit it's true.

dbs

I think the issue is that theo-lefties blind spots on such issues are a generally lot smaller than those with religious conservatives.

diamond said:

No.

I only pointed out most liberals would have a conniption if a conservative were campaigning in a church-(espousing what their beliefs and understanding of Christianity were)-and if you're honest you'll admit it's true.

dbs

No. Just if they were trying to base law off a religion specific idea.

diamond said:

No.

dbs

BS. As has been pointed out repeatedly, most liberals don't have a problem with someone being religious or even speaking at a church, it's when they try and turn their religious beliefs into law that liberals see a big problem.

But go on ignoring that.

Diemen said:
BS. As has been pointed out repeatedly, most liberals don't have a problem with someone being religious or even speaking at a church, it's when they try and turn their religious beliefs into law that liberals see a big problem.

Bingo.

(And for that matter, while atheists obviously wouldn't share their beliefs in a church, I'd raise some hell (uh...no pun intended) if an atheist tried to push their beliefs on others, too)

Angela

diamond said:

i didn't like it either.

but i'm less concerned by it because, based upon his words and deeds, it appears as if Obama has arrived at faith through an intellectual process, as opposed to an in-muh-guts-i'm-an-alcoholic-and-a-total-failure-in-comparison-to-my-Poppy conversion (thinking W, here).

it also wasn't particularly Jesus-y. this is why most people are fine with vague notions of "god" or a "creator" but start to draw the line when we get all specific and, thus, exclusionary.

diamond said:
Sorry to disapoint you guys but a lot of the US laws are based on the 10 Commandments.

dbs

Do some research...

10_Comm.gif

Tell me how many of these are made law. And of those, which ones don't make common sense?

Oh, the uninformed...:|

Thou shall not steal?
Thou shall not bear false witness?
Thou shall not kill/murder (the innocent)?

umm hello?

Last edited:
diamond said:
Sorry to disapoint you guys but a lot of the US laws are based on the 10 Commandments.

dbs

Correction: Some laws in the U.S. are SIMILAR to those in the 10 commandments. But then those laws are found in just about every government on the planet.

Unless like you'd like to suggest that red China allows its citizens to slay each other in the streets, given their godless background.

And really when you think about it, there's really only three commandments that are reflected in our laws of the land. No stealing. No killing. No false witness. The rest have not been codified into any kind of law as far as I know (at least not in this country).

maycocksean said:

Correction: Some laws in the U.S. are SIMILAR to those in the 10 commandments. But then those laws are found in just about every government on the planet.

Then that fact tells me there is a God of us all.
And Audeltry used to be against US law, still frowned upon by most US citizens -unless you're a guest talk show host on The View:wink:

dbs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom