US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2 - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #901
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:10 AM
Quote:
1-Casual drug users will have a claim that drugs should be legalized ,or may feel they shouldn't be arrested because Obama used drugs in the past
The fact that the conservatives get an errection over locking people up for making choices about what they put in their bodies is enough of a case, punish dealers not users.
__________________

A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 11-23-2007, 02:46 AM   #902
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Bill Clinton admitted smoking pot.

15 years ago.

Slippery slope negotiated.

Next.
__________________

U2DMfan is offline  
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #903
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The fact that the conservatives get an errection over locking people up for making choices about what they put in their bodies is enough of a case, punish dealers not users.
I agree.
verte76 is offline  
Old 11-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #904
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 10:10 PM
If Obama's not saying it's OK to do drugs now, what's the problem?
verte76 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #905
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:10 PM

Zogby: Hillary Defeatable by 5 GOP Frontrunners


All five of the leading Republican presidential candidates — including John McCain — would beat Democrat Hillary Clinton in a head-to-head match-up, according to a surprising new poll from Zogby International.

But Barack Obama outpolled all five GOP hopefuls — Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, Fred Thompson, Mike Huckabee, and McCain.

The national poll of nearly 10,000 people — about equally divided between Democrats and Republicans, with about one-quarter independents — is more bad news for longtime front-runner Clinton. It shows that she’s slipping not only in Iowa and several other early caucus or primary states, but across the country as well.

And it appears to confirm the fears of many Democratic stalwarts that candidate Hillary does not offer the party its best chance to win the White House.

Asked whom they would choose in a race between Giuliani and Clinton, 43 percent of respondents said Giuliani and 39.4 percent chose Clinton, with 14.6 percent opting for “someone else” and 3 percent selecting “will not vote/not sure.”

Romney outpolled Clinton by a margin of 43.1 percent to 39.9 percent; Thompson beat out Hillary by a similar margin, 43.2 percent to 39.6 percent; and Mike Huckabee bested Clinton by a solid margin of 44.3 percent to 38.5 percent.

McCain, who trailed Clinton 45 percent to 43 percent in a July Zogby poll, has pulled ahead of the Democrat in the new poll, winning 42.1 of the vote compared to Clinton’s 37.6 percent.

But when the GOP hopefuls are matched up against Obama, the Illinois Democrat beats Giuliani by a margin of 46 percent to 40 percent, Romney (45.8 percent to 39.9 percent), Thompson (46.4 percent to 39.9 percent), Huckabee (45.8 percent to 39.6 percent), and McCain (44.8 percent to 38.2 percent.

Another bad sign for Hillary: John Edwards, who runs third in the polls behind Clinton and Obama, also outpolled all five leading Republicans, although by smaller margins than Obama.


© 2007 Newsmax. All rights reserved.
diamond is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #906
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 03:10 PM

diamond is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #907
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:10 PM
It seems pretty clear that the most electable candidate for the Dems is Barack Obama.

He'll absolutely smoke any of the GOP candidates.

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Alright then. I guess there's a point there and I just missed it.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #908
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 06:10 PM
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #909
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond


classy post Gina.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM   #910
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,258
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


He'll absolutely smoke any of the GOP candidates.


No, I'm pretty sure he wouldnt. The days of close presidential elections and Reagen or Clinton landslides are over, at least for quite a while. The country is simply too divided right now. No matter who the nominees are, it will be a very close race.
2861U2 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #911
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,258
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Looks a little more like pretty boy Edwards to me.
2861U2 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #912
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
No, I'm pretty sure he wouldnt. The days of close presidential elections and Reagen or Clinton landslides are over, at least for quite a while. The country is simply too divided right now. No matter who the nominees are, it will be a very close race.
I think the country is very eager to turn it over to a different party, providing there's a good candidate. People are sick of Bush.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #913
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,258
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


I think the country is very eager to turn it over to a different party, providing there's a good candidate. People are sick of Bush.
They were also eager last fall and elected a completely incompetent Congress, which I think may be a blessing in disguise for the GOP. Hopefully America will look at who they elected last fall and realize the total lack of leadership or accomplishment, and decide they don't want that in the White House.
2861U2 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #914
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Who's fault for the most part is it that things couldn't get accomplished?

The resisting GOP congressmen and the man vetoing the bills.

And they know that.
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #915
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,715
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
Hopefully America will look at who they elected last fall and realize the total lack of leadership or accomplishment, and decide they don't want that in the White House.
Change "last fall" to 2004 or 2000, and that's how I feel about the Republican party (as the candidates for this election are pretty much just going to follow in Bush's footsteps for the most part). I agree that people have been frustrated with the Democratic Congress, you're right about that...but phillyfan26 is right, it's not entirely their fault that they haven't gotten things done, and while we're frustrated with the Democrats, we're completely pissed off at and sick to death of the Bush administration and those who follow their line of thinking. And I'd rather be frustrated than completely pissed off, personally.

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #916
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 10:10 PM
I'm supporting Edwards because he is more electable than Hillary is. Now, as it turns out, Obama is also more electable than Hillary is. Both of them are doing very well in Iowa, thank you very much. Yeah, people are sick of Bush. They want the Democrats back in the White House.
verte76 is offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #917
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 06:10 PM
boston.com

By Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor November 27, 07

A New York financier calls for a Muslim to be appointed to the next president's Cabinet and relates an interesting reply when he put that issue to Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney.

Mansoor Ijaz, who describes himself as an American-born Muslim whose family came from Pakistan, writes in an opinion piece in today's Christian Science Monitor that he attended a private fund-raiser this month for Romney in Las Vegas. Ijaz says he asked Romney whether he would consider a Muslim for a national security post in his Cabinet, since he says radical jihad is the biggest threat facing America.

According to Ijaz, Romney said that based on the proportion of Muslims in the US population, a Cabinet post would not be "justified," though he could "imagine" Muslims serving in lower-level jobs in his administration.

"Romney, whose Mormon faith has become the subject of heated debate in Republican caucuses, wants America to be blind to his religious beliefs and judge him on merit instead," Ijaz writes. "Yet he seems to accept excluding Muslims because of their religion, claiming they're too much of a minority for a post in high-level policymaking. More ironic, that Islamic heritage is what qualifies them to best engage America's Arab and Muslim communities and to help deter Islamist threats."

Romney, interviewed Monday on CNN, was asked about diversity in his inner circle and in appointments.

"Suggesting that we have to fill spots based on checking off boxes of various ethnic groups is really a very inappropriate way to think about we staff positions," he said.

"I'm very pleased that, among my Cabinet members [as Massachusetts governor], for instance, I had several African-American individuals. I had people of different backgrounds. But I don't go in every circumstance I'm in and say, 'OK, how many African-Americans, how many Hispanic-Americans, how many Asian-Americans,' and fill boxes that way.

"I fill responsibilities based upon people's merit and their skill. And, sometimes, it includes many ethnic minorities. And other times, it includes different minorities. But I'm very pleased with my record."
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #918
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,725
Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
boston.com
based on the proportion of Muslims in the US population, a Cabinet post would not be "justified,"




"I fill responsibilities based upon people's merit and their skill.
Little contradiction here I would say. On the one hand he says there is no top-level position for Muslims available, only lower level, and on the other hand he goes by merit and skill.
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #919
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 06:10 PM
politico.com

Six weeks out from the first round of presidential voting, New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton gets better ratings than Illinois Sen. Barack Obama among African-American voters — a crucial voting bloc in Democratic politics — a new poll shows.

The survey of 750 African-Americans, conducted from Oct. 5 to Nov. 2 and released Tuesday by The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, found Clinton was rated favorably by 83 percent of respondents, with 9.7 percent perceiving her negatively.

Obama, meanwhile, garnered favorable ratings of 74.4 percent, with 10.1 percent viewing him negatively.

Former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina was rated favorably by 45.1 percent of respondents, while 19.1 percent rated him unfavorably, according to the poll, which was sponsored by AARP.

The results offer a glimpse into the views of members among one of the most important Democratic constituencies.

But it covers a national audience rather than targeting individual states.

In Iowa, home of the Jan. 3 first-in-the-nation caucuses, the population is only about 2.1 percent black, according to 2006 Census figures.

In New Hampshire, home to the nation’s kickoff primary, on Jan. 8, it’s a miniscule 0.7 percent.

The picture changes considerably in South Carolina, which, with its Jan. 19 primary, could play a pivotal role in the Democratic nomination fight. The Palmetto State population is 29.4 percent African-American.

Twenty-eight percent of respondents to the poll cited the Iraq war as the top problem facing the country, followed by health care (20 percent), jobs and the economy (15 percent) and education (10 percent).

“What might be called signature issues of the Republican Party — taxes, terrorism, immigration and moral values — are just not resonating with African-American voters,” said David Bositis, senior research associate at the Joint Center.

“Not only are African-Americans not raising these issues when given the chance, but when pressed on which party has the better approach to them, they are clearly favoring the Democrats.”
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #920
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
boston.com

By Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor November 27, 07

A New York financier calls for a Muslim to be appointed to the next president's Cabinet and relates an interesting reply when he put that issue to Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney.

Mansoor Ijaz, who describes himself as an American-born Muslim whose family came from Pakistan, writes in an opinion piece in today's Christian Science Monitor that he attended a private fund-raiser this month for Romney in Las Vegas. Ijaz says he asked Romney whether he would consider a Muslim for a national security post in his Cabinet, since he says radical jihad is the biggest threat facing America.

According to Ijaz, Romney said that based on the proportion of Muslims in the US population, a Cabinet post would not be "justified," though he could "imagine" Muslims serving in lower-level jobs in his administration.

"Romney, whose Mormon faith has become the subject of heated debate in Republican caucuses, wants America to be blind to his religious beliefs and judge him on merit instead," Ijaz writes. "Yet he seems to accept excluding Muslims because of their religion, claiming they're too much of a minority for a post in high-level policymaking. More ironic, that Islamic heritage is what qualifies them to best engage America's Arab and Muslim communities and to help deter Islamist threats."

Romney, interviewed Monday on CNN, was asked about diversity in his inner circle and in appointments.

"Suggesting that we have to fill spots based on checking off boxes of various ethnic groups is really a very inappropriate way to think about we staff positions," he said.

"I'm very pleased that, among my Cabinet members [as Massachusetts governor], for instance, I had several African-American individuals. I had people of different backgrounds. But I don't go in every circumstance I'm in and say, 'OK, how many African-Americans, how many Hispanic-Americans, how many Asian-Americans,' and fill boxes that way.

"I fill responsibilities based upon people's merit and their skill. And, sometimes, it includes many ethnic minorities. And other times, it includes different minorities. But I'm very pleased with my record."
I would love to see a conservative or a Romney supporter defend this. I would LOVE it.
__________________

phillyfan26 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×