US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2 - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #721
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
I've always loved the story of the woman who saw her male colleagues getting promoted one after another in this Alaskan oil company and she couldn't break through the glass ceiling.
Then she left the company, opened her own one, and after, I think, three to five years she was able to buy her former company and immediately dismissed all the managers that wouldn't promote her.
I applaud stories like this.
Matter of fact it reminds me of my brother's wife in the bay area.

Although she's not a vindictive person.

dbs

Old 11-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #722
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
You guys need to understand my point, the average male doesn't like Hilary because she is bossy and angry and these traits will get nobody elected, regardless of gender--that was my point.

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
[B]

Being abrasive is more acceptable for a male than a female for whatever societale reasons there are, who knows-is it human nature?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #723
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:23 PM
Quote:

On a personal level if I'm such a sexist how can I be happily married to a liberal minded educated woman with a Master's degree who earns well into 6 figures?

If I was some insecure sexist pig-don't you think she'd throw me out?
Well she's a liberal so she's probably a little more empathetic and forgiving.

Quote:

You guys need to understand my point, the average American male doesn't like Hilary because she comes across as bossy and angry, and those traits will get nobody elected, regardless of gender-that was my point.

Are we clear?
Where's this poll you took? How does she come across bossy and angry? Examples would be nice.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #724
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Being abrasive is more acceptable for a male than a female for whatever societale reasons there are, who knows-is it human nature?
Yeah, that's not sexist at all...
Old 11-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #725
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Yeah, that's not sexist at all...
never said it was right though, I only acknowledged that it existed in our society, but didn't say I agreed with it.

dbs
Old 11-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #726
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
How do you find her abrasive? I mean, specifically, where do you see abrasiveness in her?
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
How is she bossy and angry? Specific examples, please?
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Where's this poll you took? How does she come across bossy and angry? Examples would be nice.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #727
ONE
love, blood, life

A Breakdown on Clinton Ratings
By Dalia Sussman

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s ratings in the latest New York Times/CBS News poll suggest that unlike her Democratic rivals, her favorability ratings worsen as voters’ income and education levels increase. The poll also found that Mrs. Clinton was far better known than her opponents, but more than half of those who had an opinion of her had a negative one.
Over all, 42 percent of registered voters have an unfavorable view of Mrs. Clinton, 38 percent have a favorable opinion, and 21 percent do not yet have an opinion. That negative rating is far higher than it is for Senator Barack Obama (21 percent unfavorable) or former Senator John Edwards (28 percent). Indeed, Mrs. Clinton’s negative rating is close to the worst ever measured for her (46 percent) since The Times/CBS News poll began asking about her in 1992.

Mrs. Clinton’s ratings drag among better-educated, higher-income voters. Her favorable rating drops 9 points, from 43 percent to 34 percent, among voters who have been to college, compared with those who have not.
Similarly, 41 percent of registered voters with annual household incomes less than $75,000 express a favorable view of Mrs. Clinton, but just 31 percent of those earning more agree. More than half of higher-income voters questioned view Mrs. Clinton unfavorably.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #728
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:23 AM
But this article doesn't speak about the reasons.
Certainly, it's not saying she appeared to be too bossy and angry to the better educated and richer ones.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #729
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Can you please answer the questions that I quoted?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #730
ONE
love, blood, life

She feels bossy and angry to me.
I think that's why her poll numbers are poor among men in America-as indicated in the post that Mrs Springstten submitted.

dbs
Old 11-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #731
Blue Crack Supplier

The questions I quoted asked for specific examples of instances in which she's come across bossy in interviews or debates or speeches. Saying, "She feels that way" doesn't make the argument.

Do you have any specific examples?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #732
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think that's why her poll numbers are poor among men in America-as indicated in the post that Mrs Springstten submitted.

dbs
You've become such a joke.

But I'm glad you are admitting that it's just you. She feels that way to you, that's because you have issues with women, but that's for another thread. You couldn't back up anything because it was just YOU projecting your ideas on the rest of America.

Admitting it, is the first step.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #733
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 PM

Quote:
When Rudy Giuliani steps into the cold winter light of Iowa and New Hampshire, Bernie Kerik's shadow will be right behind him.

Kerik's indictment on multiple corruption charges - many committed while working as Giuliani's bodyguard, jail chief and police commissioner - has all but assured that what some call the "Bernie Business" will never be far away.

Indeed, lawyers have announced that the first pretrial hearing in Kerik's case will be Jan. 16 - smack in the middle of the most critical primary stretch.

That's 13 days after voting begins in Iowa, three days before the South Carolina primary and less than three weeks before 21 states go to the polls on Feb. 5 - a day Team Giuliani considers vital to success.

The worst scenario for Giuliani? He survives the early primaries, only to face the spectacle of a public trial generating daily headlines as the general election heats up next fall - and the possibility of being called as a witness.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #734
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:23 PM
The political reporter at the paper I work for has met Hillary Clinton. He said she was very charming and personable.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #735
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Similar to the way an Arab man in a turban makes some people feel suspicious, I'm sure.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #736
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Diamond - no more photos of Maggie Thatcher okay? It's too early in the morning (in Australia anyway). Thank you.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #737
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And genetically speaking you're wired closer to a woman than most men.
So is that supposed to be an insult? It certainly implies that it is in the context in which you made it. If you meant it that way well that's certainly a sexist comment. And if he is well that's one of the highest compliments you can pay a man as far as I'm concerned-even though it's not about being "wired" in any way, it's about being open minded and sensitive to what the real deal is in the world regarding that subject. It's also one of the highest compliments to them when a guy recognizes sexism and calls it out. Your comments just speak for themselves, so to backtrack on them well.. and that one certainly spoke for itself. You are accountable for those here and will be judged on those-not on what your wife thinks and your relationship with her. It's like the old playing a doctor on tv thing that I mentioned before.

GWB isn't "bossy and angry"? Examine that one. And the male candidates aren't, right? Especially your hero Romney-well he disguises his bossiness and anger when it suits his purposes.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #738
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I can't even begin to fathom what the hell's going on in this thread now. The lack of logic is just too maddening for my brain to handle.
Logic? What does that have to do with it? You expect logic?

You're just wired closer to a woman than most men are. So cut the crap and get with the program
Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #739
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I applaud stories like this.
Matter of fact it reminds me of my brother's wife in the bay area.

Although she's not a vindictive person.

dbs
So certain types of women are "vindictive"? What exactly do you mean by the use of that word?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #740
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Can Obama Rock the Nomination?
By Ana Marie Cox for TIME

How good was Barack Obama's speech at the Iowa Democratic Party Jefferson Jackson dinner Saturday night? Long after the event ended, as a scrum of giddy Obama staffers were all-but-forcibly exited from the bar of the Fort Des Moines Hotel, they struck up a spontaneous chorus of the campaign's newly debuted catchphrase: "Fired up!" Beat. "Ready to go!" Beat "Fired up!" Beat. "Ready to go!" This slightly manic release of tension and elation wasn't surprising. What was surprising was the person leading it: John Edwards campaign manager Joe Trippi, who punctuated each explosive slogan with a pumped fist.

Not that Trippi is a convert. (One Edwards staffer said that Trippi was simply showing support for the "change gang.") And, it's true, the Edwards campaign is alive and well in Iowa. Privately, rival campaigns concede that Edwards would probably win if the caucuses were held, say, tonight. Says one organizer, "His supporters are largely previous caucus-goers; you don't have to convince them very hard to go again. Everyone else is going to need all the convincing we can manage in the next month and a half." The excitement generated by Obama's fiery but disciplined speech is a reminder of what it means to convince someone.

The speech mixed inspiration and contempt, passion and outrage, autobiography and attack. It balanced language that both harkened back to the rich, poetic phrases of Martin Luther King (he cited King's reminder about "the fierce urgency of now") and the less subtle patois of contemporary politics — his boast that "when I'm your nominee, my opponent won't be able to say that I supported this war in Iraq; or that I gave George Bush the benefit of the doubt on Iran," was a deft jab to the very center of Hillary Clinton's weaknesses in the Democratic primary. Unless you think he got to the center of her weaknesses here: "Not answering questions because we're afraid our answers just won't be popular just won't do it." Or maybe here: "Telling Americans what they think they want to hear instead of telling the American people what they need to hear just won't do it." And yet he ended on a soaring note: "In this election — at this moment — let us reach for what we know is possible. A nation healed. A world repaired. An America that believes again."

After the most recent Democratic debate late last month, Obama was gently scolded by the pundit class for having denied them the fireworks promised between the Illinois senator and Hillary Clinton. Chris Cillizza chided, "He is not someone who enjoys direct confrontation and is still learning the political necessity of the tactic," while Real Clear Politics accused Obama of "backing off." Perhaps, some theorized, he was somehow suffering from his ability to "transcend politics." He was a rock star without an anthem, all charisma but no courage.

Staffers say that the senator struggled with the perception that he was coasting. "It's a much more visceral message now," says senior adviser David Axelrod. "It's much more from his gut ... the stakes are high, and he wanted to make sure his full motivations were clear." And over the past few weeks, his attitude evolved from trying to figure out what might be going wrong to realizing there was, Axelrod says, "a reason to do this now." As he told CBS news in the days before the dinner, "I think there was a period of time when things were static and people liked what they were hearing from me, but they didn't have a sense that there were significant differences between me and Sen. Clinton."

Indeed, Wednesday, he reminded the listeners of Radio Iowa that "'politics of hope' he's been talking about don't mean that things come easy — or that there won't be a fight." Thursday, he said of Clinton's ethanol position, "If she's willing to shift this quickly on this issue, we don't know whether she will shift back when it gets hard," then dinged her on Iran: "Just remember who got it right and who got it wrong in the most important decision!"

As Clinton trudged through a week of momentum-sapping process stories — her supposed failure to leave a tip, the presence of a planted question in a town hall — Obama appeared to gain energy. His speech at the dinner was the performance of a politician, not a rock star. But he has found his voice.