US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2861U2 said:
A couple heated tiffs between Rudy/Romney and McCain/Paul. Other than those two moments, it's same old, same old.

Interesting. What were the heated tiffs about?

Love how the "What would Jesus do?" question got dodged. And what the heck was with that guy who wanted to know what kinds of guns everyone owned :huh:? That was kinda...creepy.

Angela

Giuliani and Romney went after each other at the very beginning regarding sanctuary cities, and McCain and Paul had the "we should/shouldnt be in Iraq" debate.

I can't decide whether or not I want Ron Paul to run as an independent. My first thought was no, but I think now it might be a good thing. I think he would take a lot of the anti-war vote that Hillary would otherwise get. He implied tonight that he would not run unless he gets the GOP nomination.

2861U2 said:
McCain and Paul had the "we should/shouldnt be in Iraq" debate.

McCain thought it would be a good idea to compare Iraq to World War II and Hitler.

phillyfan26 said:

McCain thought it would be a good idea to compare Iraq to World War II and Hitler.

He also thought it was a good idea to mention "the troops" and how he had dinner with them in order to gain applauses.

:|

Irvine511 said:
the disrespect to the openly gay retired service member is what i'll take from this debate.

I didn't see it, but here's what CNN had to say:

A retired brigadier general, who is gay, asked candidates if they thought U.S. military personnel were professional enough to work with gay and lesbian troops.

Hunter said he thought having openly homosexual people serving in the ranks would be bad for "unit cohesion."

Romney said he didn't think the "don't ask, don't tell" policy would work, but, he said, "it's been there for now for what, 15 years -- and it seems to have worked."

Infinitum98 said:

He also thought it was a good idea to mention "the troops" and how he had dinner with them in order to gain applauses.

:|

Yeah, no candidate on either side has ever done that :eyebrow:

2861U2 said:
Giuliani and Romney went after each other at the very beginning regarding sanctuary cities, and McCain and Paul had the "we should/shouldnt be in Iraq" debate.

Ah, okay. Thank you :). I saw the replay of the Iraq bit, too.

Irvine511 said:
the disrespect to the openly gay retired service member is what i'll take from this debate.

That SERIOUSLY pissed me off. Oh, my god... They can dodge the "What would Jesus do?" question, but when it came to the serviceman asking his question about gays in the military, they had nooooooo trouble answering that one point blank. The poor veteran looked close to tears-I felt so bad for him :(. The candidates who responded to him can go screw themselves.

Other things I'll take from this debate:

-New idea for a drinking game: every time Giuliani says "September 11th, 2001", take a drink. You'll be wasted by the end of the night.

-Ron Paul's views on Iraq make me happy. While I agree there'd be some benefits to him becoming an independent, at the same time, I think he should remain a Republican if for no other reason than for people to look at the candidates and say, "Well, at least there's ONE sane person in that group."

-Romney is SMOOTH with dodging questions. My head hurt trying to figure out what the hell he was trying to say in regards to the waterboarding thing (an area where McCain had the upper hand, no question)

-Looking at all these men, and hearing what they had to say, I can safely say that, with the exception of Ron Paul and possibly McCain, I don't want any of the rest of them within 10 feet of the White House, let alone doing anything else in there. Scary group-thanks for further clarifying why I'm not even considering voting for most of you.

Angela

2861U2 said:

Yeah, no candidate on either side has ever done that :eyebrow:

Oh yes, many candidates have done that. Not Ron Paul though, no bullshit out of his mouth.

2861U2 said:
CNN just said that the guy might be associated with the Clinton camp.

and?

would you have kicked that guy out of the military for being gay? would you kick out doctors? translators?

and, again, it has nothing to do with behavior. it has to do with someone's sexual orientation. just the mere knowledge that someone is gay is a violation of DADT.

again, McCain is the only adult in the room.

the GOP is now a religious movement. congratulations. you're going to be crushed by Hillary and/or Obama next year.

Irvine511 said:

would you have kicked that guy out of the military for being gay?

No, I wouldn't. I disagree with most Republicans on this issue. I dont care who you are, if you have the patriotism and will and courage to serve in the military, you should be able to. Of course, though, if any undesired sexual behavior occurs, I would kick that person out, but I'm sure that hardly ever happens.

Irvine511 said:

the GOP is now a religious movement. congratulations. you're going to be crushed by Hillary and/or Obama next year.

:rolleyes:

No, we won't. Believe it or not, there are people in the country who like religious candidates.

2861U2 said:

:rolleyes:

No, we won't. Believe it or not, there are people in the country who like religious candidates.

isn't a candidate who happens to be religious quite different from a party who self-identifies as being only for a specific brand of Christian?

and you're kidding yourself if you think that things look good for the GOP in '08. yes, anything can happen, and McCain might give you a fighting chance, but if you nominate Huckabee, then you're doomed.

most of us dont' want the US to be a Christian Iran.

2861U2 said:

No, I wouldn't. I disagree with most Republicans on this issue. I dont care who you are, if you have the patriotism and will and courage to serve in the military, you should be able to. Of course, though, if any undesired sexual behavior occurs, I would kick that person out, but I'm sure that hardly ever happens.

:up:

good for you.

2861U2 said:

Well it does, but usually among the straights, yet they are often still able to serve. But this doesn't matter to many out there, this has been proven by many threads in here on this subject.

Good to see you feel that way, 2861U2. Honestly, it seems I hear of sexual harassment from men towards women in the military way more often, so I think the Republicans should be worrying about that instead of freaking out about gays serving ('cause, you know, if I were a soldier and was sitting there watching bombs go off near me and watching bullets whizzing over my head, naturally the first thing I'd worry about is whether or not the person next to me was gay :rolleyes:...).

Irvine511 said:

:up:. Too true. That was one of the creepiest debates I've ever witnessed.

Angela

2861U2 said:

I'm fine with religious candidates as long as they don't:

1. Campaign on religion.
2. Influence decisions based on religion.
3. Favor any religion over any other.
4. Create, support, or sign any laws that have religious bias in them.

And, yeah, under that criteria ... the Republicans don't look so good anymore.

Irvine511 said:

and you're kidding yourself if you think that things look good for the GOP in '08. yes, anything can happen, and McCain might give you a fighting chance, but if you nominate Huckabee, then you're doomed.

Hey, I'll be the first one to say that we're the underdog this time around, but upsets have happened before. As long as Hillary's the Dem nominee, I feel alright about either Giuliani, Romney, or even Huckabee's chances (Thompson, McCain and all the others have no shot at the nom, IMO).

BonoVoxSupastar said:
McCain is the only one with a fighting chance right now, unless things change.

Based on what? Polls show Republicans only a few points behind her, and I'm sure I don't need to mention the Zogby poll showing Hillary losing to 5 Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom