US 2008 Presidential Campaign Thread - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eltimbomofo said:
I'm still holding out for Mr. Gore. Hoping he will at the very least, not close the door on the idea of him running when he goes in front of the press today to discuss his winning of the Peace Prize.

Me too. I just signed a petition asking him to run.

I've been a fan of Gore since 1988. He was running for president and was scheduled to give a speech in my home town. He was running hours late due to fog. When he finally arrived, he was very appreciative of the small crowd that was still waiting for him. I got the opportunity to talk to him one on one for a minute or so. He struck me as being very sincere It made a big impression on me as having just turned 18 and looking for a candidate to follow.

Four years later, running as the VP candidate, he was back in town giving a speech to a much larger audience. Excited to see him again, I arrived early to claim a spot in the front row. (Thinking about it now, I guess it served as practice for the GA shows in the Elevation and Vertigo tours :wink: ) I had long hair and a scruffy beard and was dressed in a camoflage coat. Bottom line is I looked like crap. There was an announcement before the speech that no autographs were to be signed. The speech ended and as he was quickly shaking hands with the front row and exiting, I whipped out a copy of 'Earth in the Balance' and a pen. The Secret Service looked as if they almost were going to shoot me. Priceless. Gore stopped, took the book, opened it up and signed it for me. He looked at me with a big smile and said "thank you".

And then he got in the hottub with Joe Lieberman on Saturday Night Live.

Those are my favorite Gore moments.

U2democrat said:
It says a lot about the current candidates when there's so much excitement about someone who's not in the race.

Run Al, Run! :up:

It's not so much that I'm totally unhappy with the current choices. I just believe that Gore would be head and shoulders above the rest.

U2democrat said:
It says a lot about the current candidates when there's so much excitement about someone who's not in the race.

Run Al, Run! :up:

Same thing on the Republican side. There was a clamor for Fred Thompson to jump in. He finally did, and thus far hasn't made much of a splash in my opinion. Hoping WHEN Al runs, he doesn't enter with a loud 'thud'.

Hillary Clinton: "It's Kind Of Nice To Have All These Men Obsessed With You"

MSNBC has released a partial transcript of Keith Olbermann's interview with Sen. Hillary Clinton.

OLBERMANN: The Republican debate the other night -- you certainly did seem to come up fairly frequently. Do you think they're doing you a favor, a campaign favor, an advertising favor, by mentioning you so often?

CLINTON: Well, I guess if you don't have anything positive to say about yourself or your record or your vision for America, that might be an alternative, but you know, I'm running my campaign. I can't worry about what they're doing. It is something, though, that a lot of my friends have noticed, and one of them I thought, rather funny, who said to me, you know, when you get to be our age, it's kind of nice to have all these men obsessed with you. I guess I could put that spin on it.

Source: Gore thinks Clinton unstoppable

WASHINGTON (CNN) — A source involved in Gore's past political runs told CNN that he definitely has the ambition to use the peace prize as a springboard to run for president.

But he will not run, because he won't take on the political machine assembled by Sen. Hillary Clinton, said the source. If the senator from New York had faltered at all, Gore would take a serious look at entering the race, the source said. But Gore has calculated that Clinton is unstoppable, according to the source.

Gore repeatedly denied he has any plans to run again, but this week a group of grass-roots Democrats calling themselves "Draft Gore" took out a full-page ad in The New York Times in a bid to change his mind.

Gore is a very smart man.

Hillary and her machine are making steady progress for a Nov 08 win.

There is a real chance a Democrat could be elected after her two terms.

If she has what is considered a successful Presidency like Reagan did and Bill Clinton.

Think Bush 1 after Reagan and Gore after Clinton, without the Monica scandal Gore would have handily beat W.

In 8 years Gore will not be too old.

2861U2 said:

:scratch:

How so? I don't see a connection between the scandal and the election.

I don't know where you were in 2000?

I was 44 and followed the election very closely.

All W said on his stump speech was.

I will REstore honor and dignity to the White House

the whole campaign was tying Gore to Clinton's scandal.

(edit to add)

I do realize in your conservative family that if Clinton never had any affairs you still would think he was a terrible President and never would have voted for him

Just like in liberal families they never voted for Reagan

but in 84 he won by a large margin

true believers do not determine elections

it is the swing voters, moderates, independents that determine who wins elections

Reagan captured them in 84, Bush 1 did in 88, Clinton did in 96

W never really did, he got just enough to eek out narrow wins

Last edited:
diamond said:
I did.
From what I know that 3 of the Commandments are still incoporated into US Law.

Also many towns and some States have a "Blue Law" meaning businesses are closed on the Sunday or the Sabbath as most Christians understand the what the Sabbath now is-(this is not your cue maycocksean).:wink:

Adultrey used to be against US Law until recently, that's why Frank Sinatra was arrested, notre Mr. Deep's avatar.

So there are half of the Commandments listed for you that have been incotporated into US Law, nationally or locally -until recently.

As far as "Seperation of Church and State" that statement is not in the Constitution, a lot of the minions on the Left assume it is, BUT IT'S NOT.

What the founders wanted was not to have a "Church of The United States" siimilar to "The Church Of England" from which the colonists of our country ran from.

And with Obama speaking in a church about politics, that was crossing the line.

Mitt has never gave a polictical speech in a church, nor have any of the conservatives running for office this season-that I know of. If the did-they would be excoriated by the Left, and if you were honest-you would admit these facts.

dbs
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That defines a secular government with free speefch, not only does it disallow a state church it also prevents the state from promoting or persecuting religious views and practices (provided that they arent violating the secular law of the land); and this extends to promoting biblical law over secular law.

It extends over other issues when property rights and individual rights are crushed over religious sensibilites (blue laws, sodomy laws and gay marriage for instance). The status quo that you are justifying is being erased by the courts as unconstitutional; and that extends to the pledge of alligence explicitely referencing one nation under God.

Last edited:
Re: pot, kettle, black, blah blah

Diemen said:

You of all people should not be pointing out the spelling errors of others.

Last 4 posts in just THIS thread.

diamond said:

consevative

diamond said:

diamond said:
incoporated
Adultrey
incotporated
polictical

Haha. diamond, at least your consistent in your inconsistency.

I've loved Al gore ever since he invented the internet and then took all that Occidental Petroleum money and put it to good use telling us to be more careful in our use of non-renewable energy sources.

Barack Obama is JFK heir, says Kennedy aide

By Toby Harnden in New York
Last Updated: 2:01pm BST 12/10/2007

John F Kennedy's closest living aide has said that Barack Obama is the heir to the assassinated president. Ted Sorensen, 79, Mr Kennedy’s chief speechwriter, slipped into the present tense as he was transported back to 1960, when another youthful senator espousing hope and change was being written off by the Establishment..

I just don't think this is true.

obama_indonesian.jpg

Obama's mom is nice looking

and JFK was a player :shrug:

deep said:
All W said on his stump speech was.

I will REstore honor and dignity to the White House

And what a great job he did of that, too...:|.

eltimbomofo, that's a great story you shared regarding your meetings with Gore. I particularly like the autograph bit. I have no complaints with Gore (it's amazing how much more respect he's gained since 2000), so if he were to decide to run, hey, I say go for it.

MrsSpringsteen-hehe, I saw that Hilary interview last night. Nice response she gave-that first line in particular, me-yow :p. It's funny, there's things I haven't agreed with her on, and then I see interviews like this and think of voting for her. I dunno. Hm.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

It's funny, there's things I haven't agreed with her on, and then I see interviews like this and think of voting for her. I dunno. Hm.

Angela

not so quick
young lady

please give Mitt one, or maybe two more flip flops to earn your vote

Moonlit_Angel said:

And what a great job he did of that, too...:|.

eltimbomofo, that's a great story you shared regarding your meetings with Gore. I particularly like the autograph bit. I have no complaints with Gore (it's amazing how much more respect he's gained since 2000), so if he were to decide to run, hey, I say go for it.

Angela

Thanks for saying that.:wink:

Gore is not going to run again. He's said it over and over and over again.

Moving on to another candidate, Edwards gave an interesting speech today...

Today In New Hampshire Edwards Outlines Agenda To Return The Power In Washington To Regular People

Will Strengthen the Voice of Ordinary Citizens, Reform Campaign Finance, and Curb the Influence of Federal Lobbyists

Manchester, NH - Today, at a town hall in Keene, Senator John Edwards delivered a major policy address unveiling his proposal for Returning Washington to Regular People. Edwards' three-pronged approach calls for strengthening the voice of ordinary citizens through election reform, reforming campaign finance to strengthen small donors, and ending the unique power of lobbyists.

"The American people are sick and tired of business as usual," said Edwards. "Lobbyists and the special interests they represent are pouring millions of dollars into the system, corrupting our democracy and stopping the change we need dead in its tracks. With all the money flooding into politics, you'd think that instead of holding elections we were auctioning our leaders off to the highest bidders. Our founding fathers intended our government to do the will of the people, but regular people can't afford a voice in today's pay-to-play Washington.

"It's time to put an end to the special deals enjoyed by lobbyists and insiders at the expense of regular Americans. We must strengthen voting and campaign finance laws and curb the influence of campaign contributions from special interests, so that everyone has a voice in the political process and the people decide who leads this nation."

Edwards' proposal to end the money game in Washington and return the power to the American people is focused on three main principles:

Reforming Campaign Finance to Strengthen Small Donors: John Edwards believes elections should be about ideas rather than money. Few Americans can afford to make $4,600 contributions to gain access to presidential candidates, and the integrity of our campaign financing system depends upon smaller donors continuing to play an important role in the political process. Edwards' campaign is built upon the support of small donors - in fact, 93 percent of the campaign's donations come from donors contributing less than $100. As president, Edwards will create a new Grassroots Presidential Financing System to match small donations under $100 by eight to one, making two $100 donations as valuable to a campaign as a single $1,000 donation. He will also reduce the maximum contribution from $2,300 to $1,000 per person, to better reflect the incomes of most Americans. Edwards will create a system of full public financing for Congressional candidates and require corporations to disclose their political activity and spending.

Ending the Unique Power of Lobbyists: Edwards will prohibit all candidates and federal office holders from accepting contributions from lobbyists and will prohibit federal lobbyists from acting as fundraisers or bundlers for federal candidates. He will limit the ability of lobbyists to secure lucrative earmarks by enacting a Constitutional version of the line-item veto, where the president can require an up or down vote on special-interest spending. Edwards will close the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street by reinstating the five-year ban on lobbying by former top government officials and by banning former lobbyists from taking executive branch positions related to their former clients. Finally, he will curb lobbyists' influence by increasing disclosure requirements for lobbyist activity and by prohibiting government executives from accepting gifts and travel from lobbyists and their employers.

Strengthening the Voice of Ordinary Citizens: To ensure everyone's vote is counted, Edwards will require that all voting machines, including electronic ones, use paper ballots that can be verified by voters. He will also give D.C. residents voting representation in Congress, allow Election Day Registration in federal elections, fight voter suppression and intimidation and end the disenfranchisement of former prisoners who have served their time. In order to increase citizen engagement, Edwards will ask one million citizens to participate in biennial Citizen Congresses - national town hall meetings where regular Americans tackle national issues together, without the filters of interest groups and the media. Similar projects have given citizens a voice in community solutions across the country, including in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

More details here: http://johnedwards.com/issues/govt-reform/

OK. That was interesting. I'm not sold on Edwards. But that's a step. Now I have to be convinced that that is not just blah-blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom