US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I said he should have gone with Mitt too.

Mitt is smarmy but at least when you look at him you think "credible businessman" which would have helped during this financial clusterfuck to some degree.

these are the days when you need an oily consultant rather than Mrs. Joe 6-Pack.

i can't believe the Missouri poll numbers. amazing.

and then there's this:

Poll: Obama Hits a New High, Making Big Gains Among Women
By MASSIMO CALABRESI
Wed Oct 1, 2:10 PM ET

Propelled by concerns over the financial crisis and a return of support from female voters, Barack Obama has opened a formidable 7-point lead over John McCain, reaching the 50% threshold among likely voters for the first time in the general campaign for President, according to a new TIME poll.

Obama now leads McCain 50%-43% overall, up from 46%-41% before the parties' conventions a month ago. Obama's support is not just broader but sturdier; 23% of McCain supporters said they might change their mind, while only 15% of Obama's said they could be persuaded to switch.

Among the poll's most dramatic findings: McCain is losing female voters faster than Sarah Palin attracted them after the Republican National Convention. Obama leads McCain by 17 points with women, 55%-38%. Before the conventions, women preferred Obama by a margin of 10 points, 49%-39%. After McCain picked Palin as his running mate, the gap narrowed to a virtual tie, with Obama holding a 1-point margin, 48%-47%.

In a stark indication of just how much the political landscape has changed over the past four years, white women now favor Obama by three points, 48%-45%; in 2004, George W. Bush won the same demographic by 11 points against John Kerry. Where Bush carried married women by 15 points in that election, 57%-42%, Obama now leads by 6 points, 50%-44%, a 21-point shift.

Non-college-educated white women split virtually evenly, 46%-45% for McCain. By contrast, Obama remains weak among white men. That group supports McCain 57%-36% overall, and non-college-educated white men back the Republican ticket by an even greater margin, 63%-27%.

and then there's this little gem:

Bush himself fares terribly in the poll. His approval rating is 23%, the lowest number ever found by Abt/SRBI, the company that conducted the poll for TIME; 73% of respondents disapprove of his performance as President. Only 26% approve of his handling of the current financial crisis.

a 73% disapproval rating is historic. it's shocking, even.

these are the days when you need an oily consultant rather than Mrs. Joe 6-Pack.

and then there's this:

These poll numbers are impressive, no doubt. But I wish all the Dem's in here would quit being so giddy - there's more than a month to go. Doesn't anyone remember 2004??? Be happy and positive but quit jumping up and down with glee until the day after the election. Just look how things have changed in 2 weeks!!!

These poll numbers are impressive, no doubt. But I wish all the Dem's in here would quit being so giddy - there's more than a month to go. Doesn't anyone remember 2004??? Be happy and positive but quit jumping up and down with glee until the day after the election. Just look how things have changed in 2 weeks!!!

i'm more surprised than giddy. i'm very cautious, i know what can happen, and i know that a week is a lifetime in politics.

however, in 2004, John Kerry never led George Bush. he only began to gain and in some polls pull close to even after he eviscerated Bush in the first debate. but it wasn't enough.

right now, we have clear Obama gains and the McCain campaign looks increasingly disorganized, like someone's decapitated the chicken.

but, no, i'm not giddy. i'm cautiously optimistic.

Ha! I read Harry's comment and was just about to say "I see no giddy here, I see cautious optimism."

Gimme my brain back.

That's a very good point- this happened. We're witnessing a massive voter shift to Obama right now, but by it's very nature that includes weakly decided voters. I think Obama is in a stronger position because the economy isn't going away before November 4th, but dramatic events will inevitably happen, too, and some might help McCain.

That said, it's better to be up by a lot with a month to go then not being up by a lot with a month to go.

and then there's this:

Interesting that a liberal magazine like TIME would get polling numbers like this for white men:

Obama remains weak among white men. That group supports McCain 57%-36% overall, and non-college-educated white men back the Republican ticket by an even greater margin, 63%-27%.

What liberals do in university now is to try and change terms like "social justice" to "Civic virtue". They also adopted Clinton's idea of government expenditure as "investments". An investment is an investment and an expenditure is an expenditure. You can't fool this accountant.

yeah?

How about thinking of workers again like part of the Capital Investment on the Ledger Sheet in a company .... instead of treating them like part of a Work Sheet Liabitities sub-columns......the way, at least, more companies did before the rise of Reagonics <not counting even earlier history here, like Hoover's time)?
Or, gee, even investing in <cue scary music> poor people -- where time after time after time it HAS been shown in the USA, that poverty of any group- Irish, Italians are the most "notable" here the NYC area:<let alone black people who've never gotten a fully even playing field yet > DOES make for more crime, and when they've risen up on the social-economic level their crime level goes down .
Their were programs from Johnson's Great Society that were working or begining to......that were torn down by many Republicans, and Conservative Democrats, before more gains were made.

Poverty does not = stupidity, laziness or unworthiness
That's the ole Calvanists line......

Oh, and while I am not an accountant, I was a freelancer, and I did take Accounting 101 & 102 from a school associated with a well-respected State University in the days before the Repubs started defunding State Universities.

:wink:

For the second day in a row, John McCain is only down by 4 points to Barack Obama in the national Gallup poll. Relative to the polls this past weekend and over the past two weeks, this is good news for McCain. He needs to get back within 3 points to have a chance at an electoral victory.

Gallup Daily: Obama 48%, McCain 44%

At the state level, things are not going well, and are starting to reflect the national polls seen last weekend. State polls are always a few days late at picking up these trends. Hopefully for McCain, these state polls will start to reverse back to where they were before the start of the financial crises. If the election were held today, this is what realclearpolitics predicts would happen in the electoral college:

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map

McCain now has an ad about Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - New ad targeting Obama features connection to Rev. Wright � - Blogs from CNN.com

Is this a sign that he has no more cards up his sleeve? Wright is essentially the last grenade in the back pocket. The problem is, it's old-ass news. Does the grenade really have any substantial powder left in it? What's left when this last cheap shot fails?

And this is a surprise?

if that /\ Obama 353 / McCain 185

can we say tsunami
without :rolleyes:

or do we just call it an "uprising" ?

capt.caf02d1e0ece43ce9a39810f510cfe49.obama_2008_vaab125.jpg

"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." -- Barack Obama.

if that /\ Obama 353 / McCain 185

can we say tsunami
without :rolleyes:

or do we just call it an "uprising" ?

capt.caf02d1e0ece43ce9a39810f510cfe49.obama_2008_vaab125.jpg

.....sidenote I was there when that photo was taken :hyper: We got absolutely drenched. By the end of the night my jeans weighed about 10 pounds and I was covered in nasty smelling mud but it was worth it :up:

Continue.

I'm seeing him again this Saturday...this whole swing state phenom is awesome.

It took them about a half hour to get the damn teleprompter to work on Saturday...and that was after we had been standing out in the heat and then the rain and thunder and lightning. We were an irritable crowd until those two smiling faces of Obama and Biden got up on stage, then everyone forgot about their aching muscles, and the fact that their playlist had looped 5 times, and all 26,000 of us united around them.

To borrow a line from McCain, "My friends," Virginia is changing. I've been handing out absentee ballots to students the last few weeks, and the excitement is unusually high at my school, which is notoriously apathetic. I'll say it here and now: As Virginia goes, so goes the nation.

Your purple is getting more blue everyday

if Missouri goes blue the E C votes could go to 374 - 174

that's more than a high tide ( tsunami :hmm: )

oh yeah, and as Virginia (or about 6 other states) goes, so goes the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom