US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my point about her speech was that on that paticular night anyone could have read those words and energized the party. You have to remember, a lot of the Republican party were reluctantly backing McCain, he needed a "true" conservative to unify the party. They were somewhat desperate and because of that anyone could have read off the rhetoric and won them over that night.

I agree with you that the base wanted something to call their own. I disagree that anyone could have said those words. She has some endearing qualities to her that people love (and hate) such as her accent (which the more I listen to it makes me cringe), her "hockey mom/soccer mom" label, her good looks and fashion. When you put well written words and a well delivered speech(hitting all the applause points) you get something that many others would have been unable to accomplise. People would'nt have fallen in love with Mitt Romney if he gave that speech, they might have liked it for different reasons, but they wouldn't have crowned him the next coming...

ELECTION 2008
VP debate moderator Ifill releasing pro-Obama book
Focuses on blacks who are 'forging a bold new path to political power'

Posted: September 30, 2008
8:35 pm Eastern

The moderator of tomorrow's vice-presidential debate is writing a book to come out on the day the next president takes the oath of office that aims to "shed new light" on Democratic candidate Barack Obama and other "emerging young African American politicians" who are "forging a bold new path to political power."

Gwen Ifill of the Public Broadcasting Service program "Washington Week" is promoting "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama," in which she argues the "black political structure" of the civil rights movement is giving way to men and women who have benefited from the struggles over racial equality.

Is this a problem?

Gwen usually does a pretty good job.

She is human.

Does she have a bias?

Was this discussed when this debate was arranged?

Does she have a self interest?

If she doesn't have a bias, the right wing talking heads (Hannity, O'Riely, Rush, Wilcow) will make sure then spin it that way. In fairness though she will be judged on the way she treats each candidate. Hopefully she gives it to Biden just as much or more than Palin, that way they won't have anything to complain about.

If she doesn't have a bias, the right wing talking heads (Hannity, O'Riely, Rush, Wilcow) will make sure then spin it that way. In fairness though she will be judged on the way she treats each candidate. Hopefully she gives it to Biden just as much or more than Palin, that way they won't have anything to complain about.

people can charge bias

but most times there is nothing tangible to even consider the charge

there is a danger of her over compensating with hitting Bidden harder
to protect herself from the charge - and that is not fair. either

this very easily can skew the evaluation of this debate

settle down

when I quoted that site

I got a reprimand

and don't say tsunami
without :rolleyes:

can we call this an "uprising" ?

capt.caf02d1e0ece43ce9a39810f510cfe49.obama_2008_vaab125.jpg

"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." -- Barack Obama.

Is this a problem?

Gwen usually does a pretty good job.

She is human.

Does she have a bias?

Was this discussed when this debate was arranged?

Does she have a self interest?

i bet she'd be publishing the same book

if the black candidate were a Republican

settle down

when I quoted that site

I got a reprimand

and don't say tsunami
without :rolleyes:

can we call this an "uprising" ?

capt.caf02d1e0ece43ce9a39810f510cfe49.obama_2008_vaab125.jpg

"This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal." -- Barack Obama.

For quoting that site? For real? Strange, they're quite reputable, as far as I know.

Tsunami's just a crazy sound byte. The fact is, the numbers have risen dramatically in some states over the past few days. No more, no less. :)

i bet she'd be publishing the same book

if the black candidate were a Republican

actually i heard she had a struggle between publishing a book about Colin Powell, Thomas Sowell, Condi Rice and Obama, but it was close though-really really close.

and she even secretly lobbied for those 3 to run, cuz she is so idealogically balanced!
:lol:

<>

Mercurio: Voters through with surprises - National Journal - MSNBC.com

It's a lesson John McCain's campaign learned the hard way last week. His September Suspension, designed to change a trajectory that showed Barack Obama starting to build a solid front-runner's hold on the race, instead may have sealed his fate. Last week turned into a debacle that he'll be hard-pressed to reverse over the next five weeks.

The problem, in hindsight, was simple: Voters just didn't buy it. A new USA Today/Gallup poll taken over the weekend shows that McCain fared far worse than Obama in handling the economic crisis and congressional negotiations over the bailout plan. Forty-six percent of respondents viewed Obama's performance favorably, 43 percent viewed it unfavorably. For McCain, the numbers were particularly daunting: 37 percent approved, while 53 percent disapproved. Congressional leaders both Democratic and Republican, along with Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson Jr. and President Bush, also fared poorly.

It got worse for McCain. A New York Times/CBS News poll [PDF] released last week showed his overall favorable ratings plunging 6 percentage points in less than two weeks. The Hotline/Diageo poll [PDF] showed that the percentage of voters who think McCain is better prepared than Obama to handle the economy fell 9 points in four days, from 43 percent [PDF] on Sept. 22 to 34 percent on Sept. 26 (he has since rebounded to 38 percent). Meanwhile the enthusiasm gap, which had narrowed following McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate, widened again; the percentage of voters who said they're "enthusiastically" supporting the GOP ticket fell 6 points in four days.

A big part of McCain's problem -- both in this crisis and throughout this campaign -- is that big "R" next to his name. A new ABC News/Washington Post poll shows voters blame congressional Republicans instead of Democrats for the crisis, by a 44-to-21 split. One-quarter of respondents said Bush was responsible -- compared with just 8 percent who say it's the fault of the Democrat-led Congress.

Looks like the screws are coming loose for McCain:

McCain turns irritable, sarcastic in interview | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

...not to mention that half of his responses sound as discombobulated as Palin's.

You know, he seems out of touch

he says the majority of Americans agree with his decision

to pick Palin.

I seem to remember another president

Who is out of touch with reality.

$4 a gallon gas? "That's interesting, I haven't heard that."

settle down

when I quoted that site

I got a reprimand

I'm getting a little tired of this.

You made two statements when you quoted that site - one was flat out FALSE and the other was a misstatement or misinterpretation of the statistics.

And now you're misrepresenting the "reprimand" - so I guess that's just par for the course. Disappointing.

Looks like the screws are coming loose for McCain:

McCain turns irritable, sarcastic in interview | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

...not to mention that half of his responses sound as discombobulated as Palin's.

I just watched the video of the interview, I don't think it was as bad the article makes it out to be. He's a bit combative but not really anything different from other interviews. He keeps repeating that he respects their opinion, like ten times, it a bit weird.

video:
Video: John McCain with the Register's editorial board | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

I just watched the video of the interview, I don't think it was as bad the article makes it out to be. He's a bit combative but not really anything different from other interviews. He keeps repeating that he respects their opinion, like ten times, it a bit weird.

video:
Video: John McCain with the Register's editorial board | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Yeah, I didn't think the video was as bad as the article mentioned...

But then again the article also left out the fact that it was a snoozefest... I'm sure he's tired, because there was no life in that meeting at all.

Have you guys noticed - and maybe you have because I confess to not reading every page of all 9 (!) threads - the differing tone of the McCain vs. Obama ads? Obama's ads are all about having a plan etc, where McCain's are the typical negativity "Obama and his liberal buddies don't have a clue!!!11!". It's striking.

Have you guys noticed - and maybe you have because I confess to not reading every page of all 9 (!) threads - the differing tone of the McCain vs. Obama ads? Obama's ads are all about having a plan etc, where McCain's are the typical negativity "Obama and his liberal buddies don't have a clue!!!11!". It's striking.

Before we can answer your question you must go back and read ALL 9 pages!!:D MuWHAAAAA

Ya i know what your saying. I was thinking today how during the Kerry/Bush election it seemed all those negative ads were sticking. Now it seems they are making McCain look desperate.

'bout damn time!

New CNN/Time polls released this afternoon:

FLORIDA: Obama 51, McCain 47
MINNESOTA: Obama 54, McCain 43
MISSOURI: Obama 49, McCain 48
NEVADA: Obama 51, McCain 47
VIRGINIA: Obama 53, McCain 44

I didn't care that Obama was leading in national polls - I've always found national polls not particularly indicative of anything except maybe catching trends.

But the state polls are starting to come home to roost.

i knew he gop shoulda chose mitt.

i tried to warn em.

:angry:

I said he should have gone with Mitt too.

Mitt is smarmy but at least when you look at him you think "credible businessman" which would have helped during this financial clusterfuck to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom