US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When FYM suddenly feels more like a thread discussing hilariously inept characters in a television show than about actual politicians, you know something's wrong.

McCain-Palin is hilarious. In a sad, sad way.

Maybe McCain has been desperately trying to lose this election for the past several months. He just can't shake the 'true believers'............ :|

Nice selective picking of the polls, STING.

How come you haven't posted some battleground state polls?

Every time something happens in this campaign, you claim that "McCain will come out looking better." In your theories, Obama's only chance is if nothing happens at all.

I absolutely think McCain is afraid to debate Obama. One is an orator, one is not. One has a plan, one does not. One was made to look like a fool by the women of The View, one was not. Etc.

The most important trend of this campaign is that McCain's numbers only increase when a distraction from the issues arises. Obama's numbers rise in all other cases.

And as we all know the Republican's would never use a "distraction" would they??? Oh my, never.:huh:

Nice selective picking of the polls, STING.

How come you haven't posted some battleground state polls?

In case you haven't noticed, I ALWAYS go with the Gallup poll when it comes to national polls.

If you go back a little earlier in this thread, you'll see some poll numbers I posted for New Hampshire.

God forbid anyone post anything that is in some ways positive for McCain/Palin. Wouldn't want to upset the environment here in lefty land.:wink:

And yet the Obama Tsunami reference again. Which everyone has said is pointless.

i'm split between the two.

But McCain just earned major points in my book by wanting to put the 1st debate on hold to address the economic crisis. He's still a Senator. He still has a job to do. And so is Obama and Biden. And I think they need to follow suit and face this horrible economic crisis on our hands instead of bickering about who will be the next president.

I want to see work in action, not in words.

And furthermore, Obama is starting to look more like I do. I mean, he says things to the American public the same way I say things to a chick at a bar I'm trying to pick up. In other words, saying what we want to hear. He's all talk right now and I'm getting bored with it. McCain seems to be the only one doing something, even if I disagree with a lot of it.

i'm split between the two.

But McCain just earned major points in my book by wanting to put the 1st debate on hold to address the economic crisis. He's still a Senator. He still has a job to do. And so is Obama and Biden. And I think they need to follow suit and face this horrible economic crisis on our hands instead of bickering about who will be the next president.

I want to see work in action, not in words.

And furthermore, Obama is starting to look more like I do. I mean, he says things to the American public the same way I say things to a chick at a bar I'm trying to pick up. In other words, saying what we want to hear. He's all talk right now and I'm getting bored with it. McCain seems to be the only one doing something, even if I disagree with a lot of it.

A President should drop everything to focus on one issue? Really?

And what is it that McCain is "doing?"

A President should drop everything to focus on one issue? Really?

And what is it that McCain is "doing?"

No dude. Neither one of them are the President yet. They are STILL Senators. They both still have current jobs to do instead making the debates and the campaign a priority.

McCain is going to be a part of this, to do his job. The Senators are meeting to discuss the bailing issue. They are Senators, are they not? Frankly I thought this would be an Obama move.

What if Obama made the first move to call off the debate and ran over? I'd still be making praises of Obama, but the Obama lovers would be thinking he's a genius because he's facing important issues instead of some campaigning or a debate. Doing their job is more important to me than talking about who would do a better job if they got promoted.

Neither one of them is President, and they both still have an obligation to play role as Senator while they are still Senator.

No dude. Neither one of them are the President yet. They are STILL Senators. They both still have current jobs to do instead making the debates and the campaign a priority.

McCain has been absent from votes more than any other senator, so pardon me if I'm not exactly buying this line that he's merely honoring his commitments as a senator. All of a sudden he's found the resolve to go in and fix Washington, only a little more than a month before the Presidential election that he just happens to have a vested interest in?

Come on. This is no altruistic act on McCain's part, nor is it a move to make an actual difference. It's a cheap political trick.

It is entirely possible to be able to face tough issues and still hold a campaign. It's called multi-tasking. I would hope a potential President of the United States of America would be able to handle more than one important matter at a time.

McCain is going to be a part of this, to do his job. The Senators are meeting to discuss the bailing issue. They are Senators, are they not? Frankly I thought this would be an Obama move.

What if Obama made the first move to call off the debate and ran over? I'd still be making praises of Obama, but the Obama lovers would be thinking he's a genius because he's facing important issues instead of some campaigning or a debate. Doing their job is more important to me than talking about who would do a better job if they got promoted.

Neither one of them is President, and they both still have an obligation to play role as Senator while they are still Senator.

You hit the nail on the head!!!
If Obama was the one to call for a delay in the debates and sound the "let's all go to Washington and fix this thing" mantra then all of the totally partisan folks in here would be crying "GENIUS"...this is what bothers me about the left and the right. I really wish the people of the United States (and Canada for that matter) would give Independent candidates more of a chance - or, maybe I should say I wish there were better Independent candidates instead of nincompoops like Nader and Barr.

Yesterday, the fundamentals of the economy were strong and the crisis not that bad, today he drops everything and the Senate hearing is the most important one of all times.

Someone else was quicker in assessing the crisis, yet stays cool-headed.

McCain has been absent from votes more than any other senator, so pardon me if I'm not exactly buying this line that he's merely honoring his commitments as a senator. All of a sudden he's found the resolve to go in and fix Washington, only a little more than a month before the Presidential election that he just happens to have a vested interest in?

Come on. This is no altruistic act on McCain's act, nor is it a move to make an actual difference. It's a cheap political trick.

It is entirely possible to be able to face tough issues and still hold a campaign. It's called multi-tasking. I would hope a potential President of the United States of America would be able to handle more than one important matter at a time.

That may be. And it's entirely possible that it IS a cheap political trick. But I'll ask again, what if Obama did this, and not McCain? Would you say it's a political trick? Or would you think Obama is doing the right thing? Again, I'm split on both candidates as I like and dislike each equally. I'm playing devil's advocate here, so humor me.

. I really wish the people of the United States (and Canada for that matter) would give Independent candidates more of a chance - or, maybe I should say I wish there were better Independent candidates instead of nincompoops like Nader and Barr.

*cough cough* Ron Paul *cough cough*

But I know I'm a minority in this thinking. :)

That may be. And it's entirely possible that it IS a cheap political trick. But I'll ask again, what if Obama did this, and not McCain? Would you say it's a political trick? Or would you think Obama is doing the right thing? Again, I'm split on both candidates as I like and dislike each equally. I'm playing devil's advocate here, so humor me.

That question was already asked by somebody else.

I'd say the same thing because neither Obama nor McCain's physical presence is necessary to draft this bill. McCain, a man who said he doesn't understand the economy, who said that the fundamentals of the economy are strong just last week, and who is not a lawyer, is not going to be drafting this Bill.

It is a cheap political trick.

The American people are worried and most of them don't even understand this crisis properly. Given that people were predicting you'd have 100 million viewers watching the debate and given that nobody watches Senate debates on CPAC, don't you think that it would be a more productive use of time for them to speak to 1/3 of the country directly and debate what should and can be done?

That question was already asked by somebody else.

I'd say the same thing because neither Obama nor McCain's physical presence is necessary to draft this bill. McCain, a man who said he doesn't understand the economy, who said that the fundamentals of the economy are strong just last week, and who is not a lawyer, is not going to be drafting this Bill.

It is a cheap political trick.

The American people are worried and most of them don't even understand this crisis properly. Given that people were predicting you'd have 100 million viewers watching the debate and given that nobody watches Senate debates on CPAC, don't you think that it would be a more productive use of time for them to speak to 1/3 of the country directly and debate what should and can be done?

Yea, but I would hope that if someone is 'interviewing' for a promotion, they would want to be part of an issue that they could in fact be stuck with while they are President. I would think that they would do everything in their power to try to get the bill their way now before the possibility of having to deal with it while they are President.

Yea, but I would hope that if someone is 'interviewing' for a promotion, they would want to be part of an issue that they could in fact be stuck with while they are President. I would think that they would do everything in their power to try to get the bill their way now before the possibility of having to deal with it while they are President.

Does some special light shine out of the two of their asses which will suddenly bring clarity to the 500+ members of Congress?

Come on, their physical presence is completely ancillary.

Does some special light shine out of the two of their asses which will suddenly bring clarity to the 500+ members of Congress?

No. They are all idiots. (see post in other thread).

But the fact is, McCain is concerned with an issue that could potentially effect him if he wins the election.

Now let's face it. We all know who will win the debates. Obama. You'd have to be stupid to believe McCain has a chance to win a debate. Obama is charismatic, and a great public speaker. McCain is just....well...how do I say....not.

And we are pretty sure who will probably win the election - Obama.

But still, no one has answered my question.

What if this was reversed and Obama was the one who rushed over and asked McCain to postpone the debate to solve this crisis....what would the Obama lovers think? I'm still waiting on an answer.

I think it would have been taken more seriously coming from Obama, for even talking head Glen Beck admitted Obama has a better grasp than McCain, McCain even in conservative circles is considered completely incompetant when it comes to the economy. But I would rather have someone who can focus on both... No matter what happens one of these men are going to inherit this problem. So honestly, what happens between now and January 20th is crucial but can all change on Jan 20. It already sounds like the bailout is going to happen no matter what, I'd like to hear what Obama and McCain plan on doing after that...

But still, no one has answered my question.

What if this was reversed and Obama was the one who rushed over and asked McCain to postpone the debate to solve this crisis....what would the Obama lovers think? I'm still waiting on an answer.

Um....

I think it would have been taken more seriously coming from Obama, for even talking head Glen Beck admitted Obama has a better grasp than McCain, McCain even in conservative circles is considered completely incompetant when it comes to the economy. But I would rather have someone who can focus on both... No matter what happens one of these men are going to inherit this problem. So honestly, what happens between now and January 20th is crucial but can all change on Jan 20. It already sounds like the bailout is going to happen no matter what, I'd like to hear what Obama and McCain plan on doing after that...

:up: Thank you for the response. I enjoyed reading that...twice. Seriously. Maybe it's just because I agree with what you said, but you answered my question.

Glen Beck. He's entertaining, if you can call it that, to watch. But I digress.

But the fact is, McCain is concerned with an issue that could potentially effect him if he wins the election.

Are you suggesting that Obama is not concerned?

Now let's face it. We all know who will win the debates. Obama. You'd have to be stupid to believe McCain has a chance to win a debate. Obama is charismatic, and a great public speaker. McCain is just....well...how do I say....not.

And there is the perfect motive for McCain pulling a cheap political trick to buy him some time in debating Obama

And we are pretty sure who will probably win the election - Obama.

Given how fucked up our political culture is, I'm not too sure about this.

I would be thinking the same thing - Obama's attendance makes absolutely no difference to the bill. Postponing the debate does absolutely nothing to help solve this crisis.

There are 100 Senators

and the Senate is pretty evenly divided

It will take bi-partisan support to get anything done.

something must be done.

Senators and Congressmen (435) need to be able to line up behind their nominee, one of these two will be President and they each have to step up take a position and lead

Obama make like to just vote present and then go where ever this ends up.

He needs to prove he capable or working across the isle find a solution.

If he is a true leader he should roll up his sleeves and show the American people he capable of leadership and not just reading a TelePrompTer and saying "...this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal… etc."

Intention of both men aside, when preparing for a profession of any kind who in their right mind wouldn't try to get experience when things get tough. Seeing how the two parties reach a compromise would be very beneficial for the next president. Someone running for that position should listen to everything and get educated because the economy will be one of the biggest issues for a very long time. McCain wants to help take action. Again, why just talk when you can educate yourself and be part of the action?

You do know McCain has been a member of Congress since 1983, don't you? He's had 25 years to become educated about economics and the US economy in particular but has not chosen to do so, even though there have been major ups and downs during that time. What on earth makes you think he will "get educated" in the next few days when he has shown absolutely no interest in it over the past 25 years?

Are you suggesting that Obama is not concerned?
McCain appears to be more concerned than Obama because he's actually wanting to be apart of something that no matter who goes into office, will inherit.

[/QUOTE]And there is the perfect motive for McCain pulling a cheap political trick to buy him some time in debating Obama[/QUOTE]
Dirty political trick, indeed. The only thing he can do at this point to have a chance against Obama. If McCain was leading in the polls and he needed 20-30 electoral votes, and not Obama, I wouldn't be surprised it Obama would be doing the same thing. It's how the game is played.

[/QUOTE]I would be thinking the same thing - Obama's attendance makes absolutely no difference to the bill. Postponing the debate does absolutely nothing to help solve this crisis.[/QUOTE]

Yet Obama should be concerned since he is more likely to inherit this problem.

Especially since he's potentially going to win. One would think he'd want to be more involved with this issue.

Edit - I fucked this up. I haven't learned the fine art of multi-quoting yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom