US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even that idiot Lou Dobbs is imploring that no Bill is passed on Monday since that would not provide sufficient time to get it right!

Meanwhile, the first poll is out after McCain's stunt - seems the public isn't buying it. Shocking.

SurveyUSA. 9/24. Adults. MoE 3.2% (No trend lines)

The first debate between John McCain and Barack Obama is scheduled to take place in two days. Should the debate be held as scheduled? Should the debate be held, but the format changed to focus on the economy? Or, should the debate be postponed?

Hold as scheduled 50
Hold with focus on economy 36
Postpone 10

Is the right response to the turmoil on Wall Street to suspend the campaigns for president? To continue the campaigns as though there is no crisis? Or, to re-focus the campaigns with a unique emphasis on the turmoil on Wall Street?

Suspend 14
Continue 31
Refocus the campaign 48

If Friday's presidential debate does not take place, would that be good for America? Bad for America? Or would it make no difference?

Good for America 14
Bad for America 46
No difference 35

I can't understand why people are against suspending the debate and putting the campaigns on hold. Isn't action better than talk? Let Obama and McCain try to help the country instead of them just talking about doing that. Then again Obama never did anything meaningful in congress so it is of no surprise that he is against this. :shrug:

Somehow I imagine if it was Obama who had decided to suspend his campaign and go back to his real job in a time of economic crisis, people here would have praised the move and called Obama an American tapestry of hope and love or whatever.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I think the key to this being wrong is that Obama wouldn't do something like that.

Breaking news - McCain wants to postpone the VP debate (indefinitely at this point - no new date proposed) and hold the Presidential debate next Thursday in its place.

:lmao:

In other news, Palin is erecting a Berlin Wall around herself.

If Obama had proposed this instead of McCain, he'd immediately have been pounded for being either A) a feeble, wussy yellowbelly trying to exploit the financial crisis to buy time for a floundering campaign, or B) an unbelievably arrogant fathead under the delusion that he and he alone can fix the crisis, or both.

I can't understand why people are against suspending the debate and putting the campaigns on hold. Isn't action better than talk? Let Obama and McCain try to help the country instead of them just talking about doing that. Then again Obama never did anything meaningful in congress so it is of no surprise that he is against this. :shrug:

No kidding. Why does this have everyone in a huff. It's one debate and it's not CANCELLED just DELAYED. Get over it people. Do you really think McCain was afraid to debate Obama on FOREIGN POLICY??? I think not. Sure, this is a political move, but if the Dems don't settle down on this one it will likely backfire and in a week from now McCain will look like the hero. Obama was obviously not as smart as I was hoping. He should of agreed to suspend his campaign as well and joined McCain in Washington. Something tells me that despite these polls McCain's going to come out of this looking like the better candidate. This election just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

Breaking news - McCain wants to postpone the VP debate (indefinitely at this point - no new date proposed) and hold the Presidential debate next Thursday in its place.

In other news, Palin is erecting a Berlin Wall around herself.

:lol:

:|

Postponing the debate is an idiotic idea. If there's ever a time where the American people need to hear what each of the candidates think and what their future plans are re: the economy, it's now.

:up:

Oh come on.

Neither one of them would likely add anything to the debate. The entire rest of congress is there, the absence or presence of these two isn't going to make that much of a difference.

And McCain isn't doing this because he thinks it's the right thing to do. He's doing this so that when Obama says no he can run ad saying 'oooh loook, John McCain wanted to help fix the financial crisis(that his beloved deregulation philosophy played a big part in) and Obama said no, who do YOU trust' etc etc. Period. Obama should stick to his guns and trust that there aren't enough people dumb enough to fall for an ad like that to make any kind of difference in numbers.

Sarah Palin can debate on November 5th.

Obama should call their bluff and volunteer to switch the debates. Palin and her vast experience can debate Biden on Friday.

No kidding. Why does this have everyone in a huff. It's one debate and it's not CANCELLED just DELAYED. Get over it people. Do you really think McCain was afraid to debate Obama on FOREIGN POLICY??? I think not. Sure, this is a political move, but if the Dems don't settle down on this one it will likely backfire and in a week from now McCain will look like the hero. Obama was obviously not as smart as I was hoping. He should of agreed to suspend his campaign as well and joined McCain in Washington. Something tells me that despite these polls McCain's going to come out of this looking like the better candidate. This election just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

You know what? You'd be a good political operative. You know why? Because you have consistently opined on what Obama should do and what McCain should do in the context of the paradigm of what will win and what will lose, rather than what is right and what is wrong. You are suggesting that Obama cave into this stupid ploy of McCain's just to keep a few political points. He's in a no-win situation anyway. If he goes to Washington, he's going because his hand was half-forced, and if he doesn't, McCain gets to run his idiotic ads.

Every time something happens in this campaign, you claim that "McCain will come out looking better." In your theories, Obama's only chance is if nothing happens at all.

I absolutely think McCain is afraid to debate Obama. One is an orator, one is not. One has a plan, one does not. One was made to look like a fool by the women of The View, one was not. Etc.

The most important trend of this campaign is that McCain's numbers only increase when a distraction from the issues arises. Obama's numbers rise in all other cases.

Oh come on.

Neither one of them would likely add anything to the debate. The entire rest of congress is there, the absence or presence of these two isn't going to make that much of a difference.

And McCain isn't doing this because he thinks it's the right thing to do. He's doing this so that when Obama says no he can run ad saying 'oooh loook, John McCain wanted to help fix the financial crisis(that his beloved deregulation philosophy played a big part in) and Obama said no, who do YOU trust' etc etc. Period. Obama should stick to his guns and trust that there aren't enough people dumb enough to fall for an ad like that to make any kind of difference in numbers.

Intention of both men aside, when preparing for a profession of any kind who in their right mind wouldn't try to get experience when things get tough. Seeing how the two parties reach a compromise would be very beneficial for the next president. Someone running for that position should listen to everything and get educated because the economy will be one of the biggest issues for a very long time. McCain wants to help take action. Again, why just talk when you can educate yourself and be part of the action?

McCain does not want to take action. He wants to distract you from the issues.

Obama should call their bluff and volunteer to switch the debates. Palin and her vast experience can debate Biden on Friday.

That is brilliant, actually. "Yes, I will gladly postpone the presidential debate and join you in Washington to tackle this problem. However, as both of our VP candidates are clearly able and ready, I propose that the vice presidential debate be held in its place."

Would put the ball back in McCain's court quite nicely.

IMcCain wants to help take action.

What is John McCain going to do in Washington? He doesn't know anything about the economy and he's not a lawyer so he won't be drafting legislation.

So.....he's integral how?

Please people do not lose sight of this pathetic attempt to "postpone" the VP debate. This is how stupid McCain thinks we all are.

29 years later, someone has finally attempted to live out Pink Floyd's The Wall album.

Ladies and gentlemen, Sarah Palin!

That is brilliant, actually. "Yes, I will gladly postpone the presidential debate and join you in Washington to tackle this problem. However, as both of our VP candidates are clearly able and ready, I propose that the vice presidential debate be held in its place."

It is brilliant. There's only one problem: I don't want Biden to have to do it on short notice. I want him to absolutely annihilate Palin and I don't want an unexpectedly early date to reduce the chances of that happening.

It is brilliant. There's only one problem: I don't want Biden to have to do it on short notice.

If Biden had to do it in 5 minutes and so did she, you'd see an annihilation of epic proportions.

This woman isn't ready to debate a college poli sci class.

Over on a conservative site they’re saying McCain should send in Palin as a sub to debate Obama. They think this would be great. I can’t fathom the stupidity behind thinking like that, but hey, can you imagine? There would never have been a more one sided debate in history.

:love:

The market has already been hurt with all this foot dragging. How long do you think they have to come up with the best bill possible?

What do we have to suffer if they put a shitty bill through just so that something gets done?

It is brilliant. There's only one problem: I don't want Biden to have to do it on short notice. I want him to absolutely annihilate Palin and I don't want an unexpectedly early date to reduce the chances of that happening.

Like anitram said, who do you think would be better prepared under short notice, Joe Biden or Sarah Palin?

And she's probably been stuck in study sessions since becoming the VP pick.
Probably why she hasn't spoken to reporters - to busy studying what her positions should actually be.

Intention of both men aside, when preparing for a profession of any kind who in their right mind wouldn't try to get experience when things get tough. Seeing how the two parties reach a compromise would be very beneficial for the next president. Someone running for that position should listen to everything and get educated because the economy will be one of the biggest issues for a very long time. McCain wants to help take action. Again, why just talk when you can educate yourself and be part of the action?

So they should go to Washington for an education??? Are you serious? :eyebrow:

:lol:

A Congressional debate and brokering of this bill is different from that of any other bill how? Its importance lends nothing to the procedures in which it's debated and brokered. Both of these men already have quite the experience in debate and bill creation.

I just check Letterman's site. Apparently tonight's guests include Keith Olbermann. This should be interesting, no? :hmm:

Also on that site:

Top Ten George W. Bush Ideas For Fixing the Economy
Top Ten

10. Why fix it if it ain't broke?

9. Drill Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for loose change

8. Sell cupcakes in front of the White House

7. Flip all them charts upside down

6. Encourage Americans to spend more -- If they don't, Cheney peppers them in the face

5. Most things seem better after half a bottle of Jim Beam

4. Let's just say the Lincoln Memorial is now the Tostitos Lincoln Memorial

3. Invent a car that runs on root beer. Come on, we have an unlimited supply of root beer. And we make it here in America. Am I the only one thinking?

2. Put on a pair of glasses and shoot a moose

1. Is Hillary still available for a 3am phone call?

My dream:

Obama: "I respect Senator McCain's decision to postpone his campaign so that he can focus on the economy. I have been focused on the economy every day for the last week. I think that the next President of the United States should be able to handle two things at once--especially when the nation is in crisis. The next President will not be able to "suspend" the military campaign in Iraq or Afghanistan in order to address another issue. The next President will not be able to suspend ______ in order to focus on ____. The next President will have to do many things of great importance at once. As candidates to be the next President of the United States, today's economic situation is a test to see if we are up to the task. I am up to the task. I implore Senator McCain to prove to America that he is, as well."

My dream:

Obama: "I respect Senator McCain's decision to postpone his campaign so that he can focus on the economy. I have been focused on the economy every day for the last week. I think that the next President of the United States should be able to handle two things at once--especially when the nation is in crisis. The next President will not be able to "suspend" the military campaign in Iraq or Afghanistan in order to address another issue. The next President will not be able to suspend ______ in order to focus on ____. The next President will have to do many things of great importance at once. As candidates to be the next President of the United States, today's economic situation is a test to see if we are up to the task. I am up to the task. I implore Senator McCain to prove to America that he is, as well."

"I can walk and chew gum at the same time. Can you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom