US 2008 Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread - Part 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Romney%20at%20Detroit%20debate%20geoff%20robins%20afp%20getty%20images.jpg

That is not something you need to see right before bed.:yikes: This could be the most effective birth control I've ever used. Thanks Mitty!

ETA: My lord, he really is dead behind the eyes. Maybe he should run for Mayor of Stepford.

I don't think McCain is scared to debate. (I'm actually surprised that's being suggested as I've heard it said that Obama is supposed to be the weaker debater, though a better speech maker).

I think McCain is a gambler. He's gambling that the American electorate will think like this:

i'm split between the two.

But McCain just earned major points in my book by wanting to put the 1st debate on hold to address the economic crisis. He's still a Senator. He still has a job to do. And so is Obama and Biden. And I think they need to follow suit and face this horrible economic crisis on our hands instead of bickering about who will be the next president.

I want to see work in action, not in words.

QUOTE]

It doesn't matter whether he actually contribute anything in Washington. He just has to LOOK like he's contributing something. Remember, the average person isn't really sure what exactly McCain or any of the Senators will be doing (I know I'm not certain), but they do like the image of a guy "rolling up his sleeves" and going to work.

McCain is a gambler, a maverick really--willing to do these unorthodox things (pick Palin for VP, suspend the campaign) to win the election. He's gambling on the gullibility of the electorate.

McCain hasn't "suspended" shit. This very ploy of "suspending the campaign" shows he's campaigning harder than ever.

Oh, and deep. . .how much did they pay you? :( Was it as much as they pay Sting?

:wink:

I'm kidding of course (I think). I'm just amazed by the extent to which you've become a McCain apologist. Or maybe you're just REALLY playing devils advocate in here. . .I don't know. :shrug:

Oh, and deep. . .how much did they pay you? :( Was it as much as they pay Sting?

:wink:

I'm kidding of course (I think). I'm just amazed by the extent to which you've become a McCain apologist. Or maybe you're just REALLY playing devils advocate in here. . .I don't know. :shrug:

Last time I polled myself I was 43% for one candidate and 45% for the other

this board is 85 % for Obama, that pretty much is what all the polls on here end up at :shrug:

If I were posting on a site that had a 85% bias for McCain
I would probably be posting information that was supportive of Obama

80%+ of the people I associate with in real life, because of where I live, are GOP and make anti Obama statements, I do sometimes present Obama's side? of the argument. Of course it is easier to do these things on a message board.

It doesn't matter whether he actually contribute anything in Washington. He just has to LOOK like he's contributing something. Remember, the average person isn't really sure what exactly McCain or any of the Senators will be doing (I know I'm not certain), but they do like the image of a guy "rolling up his sleeves" and going to work.

McCain is a gambler, a maverick really--willing to do these unorthodox things (pick Palin for VP, suspend the campaign) to win the election. He's gambling on the gullibility of the electorate.

McCain hasn't "suspended" shit. This very ploy of "suspending the campaign" shows he's campaigning harder than ever.

No kidding. It's not like he doesn't still have his Senate staff in DC, who do most of the work for him.

Last time I polled myself I was 43% for one candidate and 45% for the other

this board is 85 % for Obama, that pretty much is what all the polls on here end up at :shrug:

If I were posting on a site that had a 85% bias for McCain
I would probably be posting information that was supportive of Obama

80%+ of the people I associate with in real life, because of where I live, are GOP and make anti Obama statements, I do sometimes present Obama's side? of the argument. Of course it is easier to do these things on a message board.

Fair enough. . .you're one hell of a DA (Devil's Advocate) though. I'll give you that! :)

"maverick" used to be such a good word. Someone used it in a meeting today and we all realized it's so tainted now we can't really ever use it again.

R.I.P. maverick. :(

Yeah, especially when Top Gun came out! :wink:

A lot to be learned about the pros and cons of "maverickism" from that movie. I don't think being a maverick is necessarily bad. It's not always good either though. It depends on the circumstances, the amount of risk involved, and what's at stake. After all, being a maverick is great if you're right. But if you're wrong and you buck the crowd. . .

I mean would Goose still be alive if Tom Cruise had been a little less of a "Maverick"? :shrug:

I want Palin to debate Obama since she should step in when McCain cannot fulfill his responsibilities.

I am tired of the publicity stunts by McCain.

I don't think McCain is scared to debate.

Part of me thinks this is all a red herring cooked up to get rid of the VP debate.

Sarah Palin isn't ready. They know it.

She's been cramming for 2 weeks and the interview with Katie Couric is her best shot? Come on, they can add 2 and 2 together.

Barney Frank:

“All of a sudden, now that we’re on the verge of making a deal, John McCain drops himself in to make a deal," Frank said. "I really worry about this politicization of it."

"Frankly, we’re going to have to interrupt a negotiating session tomorrow between the Democrats and Republicans on a bill, where I think we’re getting pretty close, and troop down to the White House for their photo-op, and then come back and get on to it," Frank said.

“We’re trying to rescue the economy, not the McCain campaign,” he added.

i disagree with the poster that said Obama was the weaker debater.. I think he is quite capable and will do an excellent job in the debate when it happens. Mc Cain is not a good speaker/debater so IMO he is the weaker of the two.. Hopefully, we will have a debate soon with this political ploy/tactic that McCain pulled.. I just don't buy this as legitimate on his part, I think it's a stunt to deflect the attention to him and make him look like the hero with his involvement in the bailout talks i.e. taking the credit for it.

Part of me thinks this is all a red herring cooked up to get rid of the VP debate.

She's been cramming for 2 weeks and the interview with Katie Couric is her best shot? Come on, they can add 2 and 2 together.

i agree with you here.. I think it's something along these lines..:up:

I don't think he's scared to debate, I think he's scared to debate about the economy and that's what the election is about right now. How is he going to use his POW status with the economy?

"I was a POW for 5 years, so I didn't even know what was happening to the U.S. economy for all that time, and 35 years later I've seen no reason to try and brush up on it at all." Something like that?

This has been one of the saddest times in America's history (political).

McCain is not running on issues, he's running on tactics, and we'll see if it works (probably).

He has a VP who is probably the worst selection I can ever think of, just horrible, complete political move, and again, it worked.

Now he wants to put off the debates, only because Palin isn't ready, and McCain doesn't want to have to talk about the economy, something his party is responsible for, and something he knows Obama will be able to hammer him on.

This latest political move makes me sick, although I can respect it when it comes to a political tatic, I just hate we can't talk about issues. Instead it's getting elected.

McCain has sold his freaking soul to be POTUS. This country gets what it deserves if he's elected.

i agree with this, and i also wonder if this stunt isn't to distract from her awful interview with Couric.

the more i think about it, the more awful it really was.

Somebody that has a much better vantage point than any of us has given his opinion

Bill Clinton: Don't 'Overly Parse' McCain Request to Delay Debate

September 25, 2008 8:26 AM

ABC News' Nitya Venkataraman Reports: Former President Bill Clinton defended Sen. John McCain's request to delay the first presidential debate, saying McCain did it in "good faith" and pushed organizers to reserve time for economy talk during the debate if the Friday plans move forward.

Appearing on Good Morning America Thursday, Clinton told ABC News' Chris Cuomo that McCain's push to postpone the debate would only be a good political move if both candidates agreed. McCain announced on Wednesday that he would "suspend" his presidential campaign to come to Washington to help negotiate a financial bailout bill

"We know he didn't do it because he's afraid because Sen. McCain wanted more debates," Clinton said, adding that he was "encouraged" by the joint statement from McCain and Sen. Barack Obama.

"You can put it off a few days the problem is it's hard to reschedule those things," Clinton said, "I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted -- I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that."

If the debate moves forward as planned for Friday night, Clinton says "they should be able to talk about this some of the debate because it is a security issue."

The former president thought Bush's address Wednesday night on the economic crisis had a "positive reaction".

"I thought it was the clearest statement of why we're in the fix we're in, at least what the nature of it is and why some national action is needed," Clinton said.

He said that both Democrats and Republicans "should move as quickly as they can" on the president's economic rescue plan but that both parties "want to know exactly how this $700 billion is going to be invested..to stabilize the system."

President Bush's bipartisan meeting on the economic crisis will take place at 4pm at the White House, both Obama and McCain will be in attendance.

So this should end the debate.

I can post numerous Obama's quotes where he values Clinton's advice and experience.

Are Obama supporter's so desperate that a delay of a few days will be grasped at for what ever advantage they think they can get?

i guess it does. it's not so much that McCain doesn't want to debate Obama, it's that he doesn't want to debate national security right now, and he's *desperate* to find a way to cancel the VP debate, and he's trying to distract from the narrative that his campaign is collapsing at the same time as Sarah Palin has been unmasked as thoroughly unprepared by Katie Couric.

so, you're right, it's not that John McCain is scared to debate.

it's that he's scared of everything else.

it remains a thoroughly political stunt. just like Ms. Palin.

I can post numerous Obama's quotes where he values Clinton's advice and experience.

Are Obama supporter's so desperate that a delay of a few days will be grasped at for what ever advantage they think they can get?

Bill has spoken!!! So it must be true! This is the same kind of appeal to authority using Bono that people have relied on here much to my amusement.

Will Sarah Palin be debating? Is she in the bunker with Cheney?

Letterman :love:

I recall part of the interview with Olbermann last night, where they said something to the effect of there being 3 or 4 debates in a span of 19 days. If the one tomorrow doesn't take place, logistically it could be quite difficult to reschedule, thus leaving one less debate, and perhaps the McCain camp is hoping for a non-VP one (ie, it to be cancelled).

Got this from a friend:
How Racism Works...

What if John McCain were a former president of the Harvard Law Review?
What if Barack Obama finished fifth from the bottom of his graduating class?

What if McCain were still married to the first woman he said "I do" to?
What if Obama were the candidate who left his first wife after she no longer measured up to his standards?

What if Michelle Obama were a wife who not only became addicted to pain killers, but acquired them illegally through her charitable organization?
What if Cindy McCain graduated from Harvard?

What if Obama were a member of the Keating-5?
What if McCain were a charismatic, eloquent speaker?

If these questions reflected reality, do you really believe the election numbers would be as close as they are? This is what racism does. It covers up, rationalizes and minimizes positive qualities in one candidate and emphasizes negative qualities in another when there is a color difference.

You are The Boss... which team would you hire?

With America facing historic debt, 2 wars, stumbling health care, a weakened dollar, all-time high prison population, mortgage crises, bank foreclosures, etc.

Educational Background:

Obama:
Columbia University - B.A. Political Science with a Specialization in International Relations.
Harvard - Juris Doctor (J.D.) Magna Cum Laude

Biden:
University of Delaware - B.A. in History and B.A. in Political Science.
Syracuse University College of Law - Juris Doctor (J.D.)

vs.

McCain:
United States Naval Academy - Class rank: 894 of 899

Palin:
Hawaii Pacific University - 1 semester
North Idaho College - 2 semesters - general study
University of Idaho - 2 semesters - journalism
Matanuska-Susitna College - 1 semester
University of Idaho - 3 semesters - B.A. in Journalism

Now, which team are you going to hire ?

PS: What if Barack Obama had an unwed, pregnant teenage daughter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom