US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to comment on deep's assertion that Edwards offered the same things as Obama, if not much more.

That's just patently false. I liked Edwards, but their platforms are NOT the same. Their healthcare plans were vastly different. Furthermore, Obama is a much more corporate candidate than Edwards ever was (regardless of how he's been raising his money). I know plenty of people who vote Dem who do not think that Edwards' populist views are viable, and as a Canadian, honestly he reminded me of the NDP in a lot of ways. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing, but it also has practical implications regarding what bills can actually be passed.

So I have no idea how Edwards offered a much better plan for the same things. He didn't; they were fundamentally different candidates with different priorities.

Edwards is an empty suit, with phonier charisma then Mitt.

Obama is a man compared to Edwards and on par with Mitt.

Edwards is a child.

dbs

diamond said:

For the first time, I think you may be more astute than your brother.

This is certainly an argument that he should have been advancing all along if he wanted us to get behind Hillary.

[q]Would I want Hillary answering the red phone in the middle of the night? No, bloody not. The White House first responder should be a person of steady, consistent character and mood -- which describes Obama more than Hillary. And that scare ad was produced with amazing ineptitude. If it's 3 a.m., why is the male-seeming mother fully dressed as she comes in to check on her sleeping children? Is she a bar crawler or insomniac? An obsessive-compulsive housecleaner, like Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest"? And why is Hillary sitting at her desk in full drag and jewelry at that ungodly hour? A president should not be a monomaniac incapable of rest and perched on guard all night like Poe's baleful raven. People at the top need a relaxed perspective, which gives judgment and balance. Workaholism is an introspection-killing disease, the anxious disability of tunnel-vision middle managers.[/q]

oh, Professor Paglia! :love:

"This why McCain will be our next President kids.

Mark my words.

3/12/2007

diamondbrunothetruth."

You hated this guy just a few weeks ago, I understand supporting your side, but voting for someone who you spoke so ill of... I will never understand.

diamond said:
Edwards is an empty suit, with phonier charisma then Mitt.

Edwards is a child.

dbs

Absurd. :down:

Irvine511 said:
[q]Would I want Hillary answering the red phone in the middle of the night? No, bloody not. The White House first responder should be a person of steady, consistent character and mood -- which describes Obama more than Hillary. And that scare ad was produced with amazing ineptitude. If it's 3 a.m., why is the male-seeming mother fully dressed as she comes in to check on her sleeping children? Is she a bar crawler or insomniac? An obsessive-compulsive housecleaner, like Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest"? And why is Hillary sitting at her desk in full drag and jewelry at that ungodly hour? A president should not be a monomaniac incapable of rest and perched on guard all night like Poe's baleful raven. People at the top need a relaxed perspective, which gives judgment and balance. Workaholism is an introspection-killing disease, the anxious disability of tunnel-vision middle managers.[/q]

oh, Professor Paglia! :love:

That is beautiful :heart:

Let cooler heads prevail!

Ferraro resigns

I just got an email from the Obama campaign that Ferraro resigned from Hillary's campaign. Has anyone else heard this?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
"This why McCain will be our next President kids.

Mark my words.

3/12/2007

diamondbrunothetruth."

You hated this guy just a few weeks ago, I understand supporting your side, but voting for someone who you spoke so ill of... I will never understand.

I don't want McCain to be our next President! I'll be so pissed off if he gets elected!:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

anitram said:
I wanted to comment on deep's assertion that Edwards offered the same things as Obama, if not much more.

That's just patently false. I liked Edwards, but their platforms are NOT the same. Their healthcare plans were vastly different. Furthermore, Obama is a much more corporate candidate than Edwards ever was (regardless of how he's been raising his money). I know plenty of people who vote Dem who do not think that Edwards' populist views are viable, and as a Canadian, honestly he reminded me of the NDP in a lot of ways. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing, but it also has practical implications regarding what bills can actually be passed.

So I have no idea how Edwards offered a much better plan for the same things. He didn't; they were fundamentally different candidates with different priorities.

Obama is a corporate candidate?

Re: Ferraro resigns

verte76 said:
I just got an email from the Obama campaign that Ferraro resigned from Hillary's campaign. Has anyone else heard this?

Yeah I heard.
Not surprising because she was making Hillary look bad due to her remarks about Obama. I mean, something was going to happen to her.

Dear Hillary -

I am stepping down from your finance committee so I can speak for myself and you can continue to speak for yourself about what is at stake in this campaign.

The Obama campaign is attacking me to hurt you.

I won't let that happen.

Thank you for everything you have done and continue to do to make this a better world for my children and grandchildren.

You have my deep admiration and respect.

Gerry

So definitely no playing the victim there. :eyebrow:

Irvine511 said:
should we remind Ms. Ferraro that the #1 beneficiaries of affirmative action have always, always been women?

why ?

it is how she began this dialog

"I started off by saying, if you go back to 1984 and look at my historic candidacy, which I had just talked about all these things, in 1984 if my name was Gerard Ferraro instead of Geraldine Ferraro, I would have never been chosen as a vice presidential candidate," Ferraro said." "It had nothing to do with my qualification."

^Yes she did say that, so let's give her a break as far as that's concerned. I watched Chris Matthews last night and he defended certain things she was trying to convey in her remarks. But like the lovely female commentator who was on his show said (I can't remember her name, she is an Independent and involved with an Independent Womens Forum) Barack Obama is where he is today in spite of being a black man, and not because of it. And I believe that wholeheartedly.

This is the original Daily Breeze article

Geraldine Ferraro lets her emotions do the talking
By Jim Farber Staff Writer
Article Launched: 03/07/2008 07:52:09 AM PST

As the only woman ever to be selected by a major political party for the position of vice president of the United States, Geraldine Ferraro is uniquely suited to comment on the political events of the day.

An outspoken advocate for women's issues and a staunch supporter of presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton, Ferraro will offer her views on the state of the nation and the race for the White House at 7 p.m. Sunday at the Armstrong Theatre in Torrance. The program is part of the American Perspectives series.

Speaking by phone from her New York law office, the 72-year-old former Democratic congresswoman outlined the themes that will dominate her talk. She also offered pointed observations regarding the Barack Obama juggernaut and what she sees as a sexist media bias against the candidate of her choice.

"I will probably start with a personal account, drawing attention to the historic first of both these candidacies in our party, and point out specific, significant differences between Hillary's campaign and mine," said Ferraro.

"I will discuss what I think's been going on in her campaign and the role of the media, which has been far larger than anything I've seen before. And I'll get into what this bides for the future. I may also speak about the superdelegates, since I was involved with their creation."

Born in 1935, Ferraro was a teacher, a lawyer and member of the Queens County District Attorney's office prior to being elected to the U.S. Congress in 1978, representing New York's 9th District. But it was the presidential campaign of 1984 that thrust her into the national spotlight, when Ferraro was chosen to be Walter Mondale's running mate. The campaign lost in a landslide to Ronald Reagan.

After two failed attempts to gain a seat in the United States Senate, Ferraro was appointed ambassador to the United Nations Committee on Human Rights during the Clinton administration. From 1996 to 1998 she appeared as co-host of the political television show "Crossfire." Currently, Ferraro is a senior managing director of the Global Consulting Group, a corporate public relations firm.

Despite suffering from multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer that limits her energy, Ferraro said she is committed to keeping up an active speaking schedule and doing everything she can to help the Clinton campaign.

"I'm on Hillary's finance committee. I've done a fundraiser for her here at my firm. And I went and worked the phone banks before Super Tuesday. I have to tell you, this is a very emotional campaign for me," Ferraro said.

When the subject turned to Obama, Clinton's rival for the Democratic Party nomination, Ferraro's comments took on a decidedly bitter edge.

"I think what America feels about a woman becoming president takes a very secondary place to Obama's campaign - to a kind of campaign that it would be hard for anyone to run against," she said. "For one thing, you have the press, which has been uniquely hard on her. It's been a very sexist media. Some just don't like her. The others have gotten caught up in the Obama campaign.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she continued. "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept." Ferraro does not buy the notion of Obama as the great reconciler.

"I was reading an article that said young Republicans are out there campaigning for Obama because they believe he's going to be able to put an end to partisanship," Ferraro said, clearly annoyed. "Dear God! Anyone that has worked in the Congress knows that for over 200 years this country has had partisanship - that's the way our country is."

As our conversation came to an end, Ferraro said of her upcoming talk in Torrance, "It's going to be very up to date. It's going to be my version of the inside story."

Last edited:
So, she said she was picked for Vice President in 1984 because she was, and still is, female, and Jesse Jackson as well as Obama only are Presidential candidates because of being black.
Doesn't she believe that it could ever be possible that a woman or a minority is succesful due to his/her qualification?
This argument certainly holds true in some cases, but in all?

i'm still puzzled by her comments -- does Ms. Ferraro still think that the only thing she brought to the ticket in 1984 were her breasts and vagina?

Irvine511 said:
i'm still puzzled by her comments --

I do remember the 1984 election.

I don't remember her being a primary candidate at all.

I believe she was a congresswoman from NY.

The ERA had recently failed, to get the 2/3 states to ratify.

And I believe Mondale chose her hoping to get a lop-sided woman's vote?

I also remember GHW Bush said he "kicked a little ass" after the VP debates.

The GOP also muddied her up with Mafia innuendo, having to do with her husband's business dealings and Italian heritage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom