US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think that at all about Sean Hannity, it was a joke and a moment of temporary insanity-just like many of yours around here I suppose. Plus he's not even cute anymore.

I know all about Dennis Prager, he says feminism is the reason women are depressed. He also went nuts over a Muslim Congressman taking his oath on a Koran. He's ignorant . Got anyone else? Serpenthead outsexies all of them.

I don't need you to expand my horizons Dave, I can do that on my own. But thanks for the generous offer anyway.

You forgot to mention he devotes one day a week on his show on Happiness and how to achieve it, but that wouldn't sell to those who prefer misery, ie liberals.:sexywink:

Admittedly he is no Susan Estrich though.:kiss:

susanestrich02.jpg

Now to lighten the mood, here's a fun link:
n/a :(

Last edited:
The link doesn't work, and it's a good thing because there was mild exposure of too much skin.

So i'm deleting it.

:)

dbs

you guys can't.
you put your own small pet projects and self interests above eachother, thereby disabling your party to unite.

republicans are more about a greater theme than themselves.

this why you will lose come nov 2008.

i will still be here, will you?

<>

Maybe he can be in the next Indiana Jones movie if there's another one, and play Indy. Isn't he younger than Harrison Ford? :wink:

CNN) — Two months after early primary voters put an end to his short-lived presidential bid, Fred Thompson is hoping for a friendlier reception back in Hollywood.

The former Republican presidential candidate is seeking a return to his acting career, having recently signed a deal with the William Morris Agency, Reuters reports.

Thompson, a former senator from Tennessee, starred as New York District Attorney Arthur Branch in the NBC show "Law & Order" until last year when Republican Party insiders convinced him to mount a presidential bid.

McGovern: Hard to elect female president

By MARY CLARE JALONICK, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 7 minutes ago

Former Sen. George McGovern, the 1972 Democratic presidential nominee, said Tuesday it would be easier for a black man to be elected to the White House than a woman.

The former South Dakota senator has endorsed Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, whom he has known for decades since she helped campaign for him. She is in a close race with Sen. Barack Obama for the party nod.

"I have a feeling that in this country where we're at today in our thinking, it's going to be harder to elect a woman than to elect a black man," he told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "I wish that weren't true ... I'd love to see Hillary as president."

McGovern says he occasionally chats with men who don't think a woman is ready for the responsibility.

"Some guy will say, 'Well, I think that's too big a job for a woman, I don't think she can handle those terrorists,'" he said, adding that he seldom hears the same thing said about a black man.

"I think we've never had a woman so well-qualified that's on the national scene," he said of Clinton.

McGovern, who centered his 1972 campaign on his opposition to the Vietnam War, has been critical of the Iraq war, calling for the impeachment of President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney earlier this year. He said Clinton and Obama have reasonable plans for ending the conflict.

He says he likes Obama but didn't know much about him when he endorsed Clinton last year.

"I think very highly of him now," McGovern said.

The former senator, who maintains a home in South Dakota, was in Washington pushing lawmakers to add more money for international food aid to a multibillion dollar farm bill. McGovern has long been an advocate for the hungry and helped start a program that donates U.S.-grown crops for school lunches in impoverished countries.

Someone should tell McGovern, it's harder to elect a candidate that outwardly lies regardless of gender.

dbs

diamond said:
Someone should tell McGovern, it's harder to elect a candidate that outwardly lies regardless of gender.

Well you called her a shrew long before you ever called her a liar.

Outwardly lies? Are inward lies different?

John McCain has never lied, not once in his life? We all know Mitt hasn't, no need to even bring that up. I bet even Barack Obama has lied :shh:

diemen-

you just been sprung from the diamond ignore list recently.
must we start out this way old buddy?

can we just agree that the candidate is abrasive to many voters mostly male, and happens to be a female?

:hug:
<>

diamond said:
diemen-

you just been sprung from the diamond ignore list recently.
must we start out this way old buddy?

can we just agree that the candidate is abrasive to many voters mostly male, and happens to be a female?

:hug:
<>

I think one of the main reasons she is abrasive to males in particular is because those males have issues with females in positions of power, especially if those females show the same tenacity and drive as their male counterparts.

And knock it off with the ignore list stuff. It's an empty threat, because it means absolutely nothing to me. (I suspect it means roughly the same to others here you're "threatening" as well)

I know you'll still click on the posts to read them anyway. Your ego's too big to be left wondering. :wink:

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
"Misspoke"? Just "misspoke?" :hmm:

Clinton 'misspoke' over sniper claims
Obama campaign accuses rival of exaggerating foreign policy track record
The Associated Press
updated 4:59 a.m. ET, Tues., March. 25, 2008
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign said she "misspoke" when saying last week she had landed under sniper fire during a trip to Bosnia as first lady in March 1996. She later characterized the episode as a "misstatement" and a "minor blip."

The Obama campaign suggested the statement was a deliberate exaggeration by Clinton, who often cites the goodwill trip with her daughter and several celebrities as an example of her foreign policy experience.

During a speech last Monday on Iraq, she said of the Bosnia trip: "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

According to an Associated Press story at the time, Clinton was placed under no extraordinary risks on the trip. And one of her companions, comedian Sinbad, told The Washington Post he has no recollection either of the threat or reality of gunfire.

When asked Monday about the New York senator's remarks about the trip, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson pointed to Clinton's written account of it in her book, "Living History," in which she described a shortened welcoming ceremony at Tuzla Air Base, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

"Due to reports of snipers in the hills around the airstrip, we were forced to cut short an event on the tarmac with local children, though we did have time to meet them and their teachers and to learn how hard they had worked during the war to continue classes in any safe spot they could find," Clinton wrote.

"That is what she wrote in her book," Wolfson said. "That is what she has said many, many times and on one occasion she misspoke."

Asked about the issue during a meeting with the Philadelphia Daily News' editorial board on Monday, Clinton said she "misspoke."

'Minor blip'
"I went to 80 countries, you know. I gave contemporaneous accounts, I wrote about a lot of this in my book. You know, I think that, a minor blip, you know, if I said something that, you know, I say a lot of things -- millions of words a day -- so if I misspoke, that was just a misstatement," she said.

A spokesman for rival Barack Obama's campaign questioned whether Clinton misspoke, saying her comments came in what appeared to be prepared remarks for the Iraq speech. His campaign's statement included a link to the speech on Clinton's campaign Web site with her account of running to the cars. Clinton's campaign said what is on the Web site is not the prepared text, but a transcript of her remarks, including comments before the speech in which she talked about the trip to Bosnia.

Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said in a written statement that Clinton's Bosnia story "joins a growing list of instances in which Senator Clinton has exaggerated her role in foreign and domestic policymaking."

The Obama campaign statement also links to a CBS News video of the Bosnia trip posted on YouTube, which shows Clinton and her daughter, Chelsea, walking across the tarmac from a large cargo plane, smiling and waving, and stopping to shake hands with Bosnia's acting president and greet an 8-year-old girl.

"This is something that the Obama campaign wants to push 'cause they have nothing positive to say about their candidate," Wolfson said Monday.

Clinton's written account contradicts her comments last Monday about the welcoming ceremony.

Just after the speech, Clinton reaffirmed the account of running from the plane to the cars when she was asked about it during a news conference. She said was moved into the cockpit of the C-17 cargo plane as they were flying into Tuzla Air Base.

"Everyone else was told to sit on their bulletproof vests," Clinton said. "And we came in, in an evasive maneuver. ... There was no greeting ceremony, and we basically were told to run to our cars. Now, that is what happened."

Former Army Secretary Togo West, who accompanied Clinton to Bosnia, said he was not surprised "that there could be confusion" when someone who has taken a number of trips tries to recall details of a particular trip 12 years earlier.

"The important thing is that she was there. Our soldiers saw she was there and heard her and knew that our country cared about them and what they were doing," West told the AP during a telephone interview.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23789011/

erm, i think it was a case of "bad intelligence"
or
if that doesn't sell erm it was umm..the part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

if that doesn't work, just blame it on monica:angry:

dbs

Diemen said:

I think one of the main reasons she is abrasive to males in particular is because those males have issues with females in positions of power, especially if those females show the same tenacity and drive as their male counterparts.

Thank you. At least we have you and some others for anti-sexism 101. Yes perhaps it's not feminism that makes women depressed. But we should all be ladies and just eat it all up with a spoon.

I don't condone Senator Clinton telling this story the way she did, and apparently numerous times. But Senator Obama has apparently "misspoken" about some of the legislation he was involved with. Doesn't excuse hers or make it right, but just to be fair. There is some exaggeration and "resume padding" going on on all sides.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Thank you. At least we have you and some others for anti-sexism 101. Yes perhaps it's not feminism that makes women depressed. But we should all be ladies and just eat it all up with a spoon.

I don't condone Senator Clinton telling this story the way she did, and apparently numerous times. But ......

When you insert the word "but" you lose your credibility with people. Most communication experts agree with this.

As far as alleged sexism proffered by some here, Hillary happens to be a person that has a radio-active personality, the same way Newt Gingrich does. Most women, even conservative women aren't "ga-ga" for Newt even though those conservative women may agree with him in principle.

So going to the sexism card is tired, lazy and weak. The woman has chosen to sell out her dignity, calculate and lie when she thinks she can get away with it and who stays married to a fellow that has as much integrity as a used car salesman.

Nothing sexist at all, just cold hard facts.

dbs

being a shrew instead of a lady was her first strike.

That was YOUR statement, and diemen is right. Nothing you said above has anything to do with that. Nor does your entire past history here of double standard sexist comments about her (and posting of witch pictures, etc.)-THAT is tired, lazy, and weak. When and if you can criticize her without all of that maybe people will take it seriously.

Last edited:
diamond said:
The woman has chosen to sell out her dignity, calculate and lie when she thinks she can get away with it and who stays married to a fellow that has as much integrity as a used car salesman.

If you would stick to assessments like this which do not involve name-calling specific to gender, a lot more people would start to take you seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom