US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was not a good speech by Obama

it was not as bad as "bitter people clinging to religion" speech

and sure, all his fans didn't see much wrong with that either

I read remarks like

"he is just telling it, like it is"

Obama had a "give me" in Oregon
with that picture of 70,000

All he had to do was say

"Yes we can" a few times

"Change we can believe in."

etc.

My guess is that a majority of the attendees drove there in SUV's.
Oregon is a state where SUVs are a natural choice for people with the Oregon terrain and climate.

This shows he is a "novice" candidate once again.

There is a way to talk up enviroment policies in a positive way.

To suggest that we will be at the mercy of "the world" is not the way to do it.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

our current way of life is unsustainable,

Please tell me this will be a theme of Obama's campaign this Fall.

and will become ever more so when the Chinese and the Indians begin to wath to drive their SUVs and eat as much as they want and keep their homes at 72 degrees at all times.
What if there was a technology that would allow everyone to enjoy these "luxuries" with no carbon footprint? We' ed all be for that wouldn't we?

INDY500 said:

What if there was a technology that would allow everyone to enjoy these "luxuries" with no carbon footprint? We' ed all be for that wouldn't we?

I think you are missing the point. If there wasn't a drawback it wouldn't be irresponsible.

Although technology won't ever make over eating and wasting responsible.

you guys go ahead keep on using 25 percent of the world's energy, even though you only account for 3 percent of the population

3 percent ???

The U S A is closer to 5 percent of the world popuilation.

Why must Obama keep diminishing the U S.

He won't wear a flap pin.

Place his hand over his heart.

and now he is diminishing our place in the world by 40% :no:

Is this the change
we are supposed to believe in. :huh:

wave

wink

We all know Kentucky will go for Hillary

and Oregon will go for Obama.

What does Oregon think?

Voters want the Democratic race to continue

Posted: 06:31 PM ET

From CNN's Joe Von Kanel

(CNN) — The Democrats' long fight for the nomination does not seem to be a major concern for voters in Oregon. CNN's Oregon voter poll shows 62 percent say they'll be satisfied if the campaign continues. Only 28 percent say the campaign should end as soon as possible.

Hiiiary wins Kentucky by 36% :huh:

imgad

INDY500 said:

Please tell me this will be a theme of Obama's campaign this Fall.

it falls well under change.

a nice change from "the jury is out on global warming" or that the best way to respond to terrorist attacks is to go shopping or to continue offering welfare to oil companies.

i like to ride unicorns to work?

U2democrat said:
We're really seeing the fringes on both sides of the primary race here in FYM. Neither side is doing the party or country any good.

He wore a flag pin

praised Hillary

and

said God Bless America

a little late
but still a "change" many will appreciate.

Hagel Suggests McCain Will Change Tune If Elected

By Glenn Kessler
Sen. John McCain may be blasting Sen. Barack Obama now for his willingness to meet with Iran's leaders, but Sen. Chuck Hagel -- a close friend of McCain's -- suggested tonight that McCain's rhetoric stems from presidential politics, not conviction.

The Nebraska Republican, sharing the stage with actor Michael Douglas at an event sponsored by the Ploughshares Fund, acknowledged that he and McCain, the presumptive GOP nominee, have had their differences over Iraq and other foreign policy issues.

But Hagel, who advocates direct talks with Iran, said that he has had long talks with his "very good friend" and if McCain is elected, Hagel was sure that McCain "would consult with experts" and "I have to believe John would be responsible here. He understands the big picture."

"Presidential candidates will say many things in a campaign," Hagel added. "I am very upset with John about some of things he is saying... He is smarter than some of the things he is saying."

Hagel is retiring, and considered a friend of McCain.

He is also considered likely to get an appointment in an Obama Administration.

What is his motivation for these remarks?

when will Hillary

scold her supporters

and tell them that it is

WRONG

to vote against someone only because he is black?

how long must we wait?

the countdown begins.

It is very disappointing to hear that people are saying they will not vote for Obama because he is Black.

There are legitimate reasons not to vote for Obama, his race is not one.

However, it does not bother me when Black Americans seem to give his race priority over other qualifications.

Irvine511 said:
when will Hillary

scold her supporters

and tell them that it is

WRONG

to vote against someone only because he is black?

how long must we wait?

the countdown begins.
Misogyny or racism, which is more acceptable?

From The Globe and Mail:

Democrat Barack Obama would crush Republican John McCain in the U.S. presidential race by an almost four-to-one margin ? 56 per cent to 15 ? if it were up to Canadians.

That's the conclusion of a new Canadian Press-Harris-Decima poll that, for the first time, gauges Canadian opinion on a head-to-head contest between the Republican candidate and the presumptive Democratic nominee.

The same survey suggests Canadians consider the current occupant of the White House, George W. Bush, among the worst presidents ever ? if not the worst.

Even in the province where Mr. Obama was least popular ? Alberta ? respondents favoured him by a 28-point margin over McCain. Fifty-one per cent of respondents there supported Mr. Obama, and 23 per cent preferred McCain.

Are we all that surprised that a foreign nation would have a considerably lopsided opinion of another nation's leader? I'm pretty sure that we could see similar lopsided views if you asked the American public whether they had a favorable view of Iran's president, for instance. The media has long determined what the acceptable answer to that question is (just as it seems to be in every country), whether one likes it or not, and very few are going to study a subject like this in-depth and come to their own conclusions.

Canada, as expected, is obviously more nuanced when it comes to its own internal politics. Why else would they have elected a Conservative government into power, albeit even in a minority government position? One could argue that it was more of a vote against the Liberal scandals of the last several years--e.g., a vote against one party, rather than a vote in favor of another. I'd say that that pretty much sums up the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections here. It was less of a vote of confidence for Bush, and more of a vote against the Democratic Party. The American public sure did pick an odd time to vote that way, though.

The reason I found it interesting is two-fold. First, Canadians had a very favourable view of Bill Clinton, and the Clintons in general. Given that we've already had a female PM (useless to the Nth degree, she was), there is also a lack of that underlying "can a woman make it??" mentality that still exists in some force in the US. Second, Alberta has voted more solidly conservative than Texas or any of the other southern US states. I don't believe they've elected a liberal in something like 70 years. Now, granted our Conservative party is really economically conservative and has given up entirely on pontificating about right wing social causes, but let's not forget that Alberta was solidly in support of the Reform Party (which merged with the Progressive Conservatives to form the Conservatives). And the Reform Party was, well, not all together there, and spouted many (most?) of the current Republican favourites. Most notably, immigration reform (read: xenophobia), anti-gay rights, and so on.

You can be absolutely sure that the media isn't feeding any kind of Obama lovefest out in AB.

Oops, time to start a new thread. :)

**last two pages moved to new thread per request**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom