US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Democrats...

This was your perfect oppurtunity to take over the white house.

Unfortunately you have narrowed down your search to a...

woman who is only qualified because her husband was president and she stood by him after he spunked on an intern's shirt.

man who is bi-racial and a good author who has a racist priest and wife, and an about to be convicted felon who bought him his home in chicago. (Tony Rezko).

Let's see...

The Republicans have a man who served our country more than any other person in the senate or congress. He's a strong candidate with respect in the international community. Will protect our country from crazy religious zealots.

Democrats... Is this all you have to come up with to run for president? Wasn't Al Gore available?

Maybe you should worry a bit less about global warming and drilling for oil in alaska and worry more about global islamic terrorism.

Oh wait... No terroristic attack in USA since 9-11-2001.

Yet gas prices is up 30%

But at least the caribou are safe. Hope you like taking the bus to work.

While I want the environment and the caribou to thrive, my primary objection to drilling in Alaska is selfish. If they are willing to sell it, I'd rather use up somebody else's nonrenewable resources than our own unless it is absolutely necessary for survival; i.e don't touch the principal.

I'd rather invest in effective, efficient alternatives and in the research to find better ones than to deplete a finite resource sooner than it needs to be depleted.

I campaigned for Obama in North Carolina over the weekend, granted the neighborhood I was working in was 100% African American I didn't meet a single Clinton supporter, and many had already voted early in the NC primary for Obama.

On a non-partisan side note, North Carolina has this great "One-Stop Voting" deal where even if you're not registered yet, you can vote early by going into the local Board of Elections headquarters, registering then voting the same day. It's a great idea.

Nora Ephron on HP:

"This is an election about whether the people of Pennsylvania hate blacks more than they hate women. And when I say people, I don't mean people, I mean white men."

The party of compassion and tolerance :up:

2861U2 said:
Nora Ephron on HP:

"This is an election about whether the people of Pennsylvania hate blacks more than they hate women. And when I say people, I don't mean people, I mean white men."

The party of compassion and tolerance :up:

There is an element of that kind of prejudice in the Democratic Party. It is also, let's face it, present on FYM. It is not, however, the majority of the party.

I have no idea who Nora is, nor have I seen anyone say this election is about who white men hate more in FYM, but it never stops the generalizations does it?

it has been thrown around
by more than one person

that if Obama does not win
it is because of racism

early in the GOP primaries in 1999
before anyone knew what a 'nightmare" of an idiot George W Bush was

I said I would not vote for him because his experience, resume' was light.

I have also said that Rudy Guiliani was the worst person in this whole contest, he has no experience to be President

Obama is also seriously lacking in the experience department, when I mention that
- some people suggest that my lack of support for him is based on race.

should he get the nomination and lose the general election

I believe the biggest factor in Nov will be his lack of experience

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I have no idea who Nora is, nor have I seen anyone say this election is about who white men hate more in FYM, but it never stops the generalizations does it?

she wrote the subversive political masterwork, "When Harry Met Sally."

BonosSaint said:
Wilkes-Barre. Okay, the steel and coal contingents are represented. How was the rally?

yup, not bad. im not a hillary supporter. but she has some good ideas, ill admit

mccain :rockon:

but out of the two democrats i would rather have her then obama

Here is a quick guide to sort through the inevitable post-Penn primary spin.

--Obama wins: Race is totally over.

--Clinton wins by 5 or less: Race is effectively over.

--Clinton wins by 6-9: Status quo, which favors the front runner Obama, particularly as the clock winds down.

--Clinton wins by 10-13: Clinton remains the underdog, but her odds of being the nominee will be considerably higher than the conventional wisdom in the media.

--Clinton wins by 14+: Totally different race, as Clinton will be on a path to claim a popular vote win that will give her every bit as much of an argument as the legitimate "winner". In this scenario anything could ultimately happen, including neither Clinton nor Obama becoming the eventual nominee.

John McIntyre is the co-founder & President of RealClearPolitics.

Just out of interest deep, if one of the first two occur (highly unlikely as it is) would you personally consider it over then? Even if Clinton kept going?

me?

I have been saying for some time now

that Obama will get the nomination

deep 04-10-2008 03:00 PM - said:
Obama most likely will be the nom

Hillary?

I think John McIntyre, the co-founder & President of RealClearPolitics, has it right.

If Hillary can't win by more than 5,
then many more of the Super Dels will declare for Obama.

Well, I shall check in the morning (my time, which will be Tues. afternoon on the East Coast ) and hopefully we'll have an idea of how things are going shake out.

I predict Hillary wins and possibly wins big.

I'm not yet convinced that Obama will the nominee.

maycocksean said:
Well, I shall check in the morning (my time, which will be Tues. afternoon on the East Coast ) and hopefully we'll have an idea of how things are going shake out.

I predict Hillary wins and possibly wins big.

I'm not yet convinced that Obama will the nominee.

Neither am I. I'm predicting a 10-point victory for her.

Our three presidential candidates appeared on WWE last night. Yes, that's WWE wrestling. They all read prescripted pleas for votes including a plethora of bad puns/jokes...i.e. "Can you smell what Barack is cooking?" We have to stand back and take a look at ourselves as a country and wonder why the rest of the world hates us? Oh yeah, our current president was on Deal Or No Deal last night too, also not being heartfelt...reading from a script. A three-tour purple heart soldier was trying to win a million dollars. Just Give it to him. Bush made a few cringe-worthy jokes about the war and the defecit....oh my....we are fucked.

2861U2 said:
Neither am I. I'm predicting a 10-point victory for her.

is this your prediction?

or
is this what you are hoping will happen.

Most polls suggest around 5 %.

The only thing that would lead me to believe she will do better is the Ohio primary.

Most of the polls had it pretty close.

and then she pulled out that 10 point win.

I do think the media allowed it's pro Obama bias to influence those polls.

I don't think that is as much in play this time.

Last edited:
Nate Dogg said:
Our three presidential candidates appeared on WWE last night. Yes, that's WWE wrestling. They all read prescripted pleas for votes including a plethora of bad puns/jokes...i.e. "Can you smell what Barack is cooking?" We have to stand back and take a look at ourselves as a country and wonder why the rest of the world hates us? Oh yeah, our current president was on Deal Or No Deal last night too, also not being heartfelt...reading from a script. A three-tour purple heart soldier was trying to win a million dollars. Just Give it to him. Bush made a few cringe-worthy jokes about the war and the defecit....oh my....we are fucked.

I guess they are all going after the "small town vote".

or is that

the "gun-clinging", religion-clinging", "bitter" vote?

\random post, as I've not followed this thread.

A friend in PA emailed me today... He was able to vote, but 2 of his friends were not :sigh:

I was floored to see how innanely complicated it (voting) was.

For President, I had to vote: Hillary or Obama.
Ok, got it.

Then, I had to vote for 7 delegates, who were dedicated to either Hillary or Obama, 3 male, 4 female (listed in random order, not divided by sex or candidate dedication).

So why the fuck do I vote TWICE for the same fucking question. What If I count wrong and vote for 4 men? Does it not count?

And I vote all the time. I've never seen this delegate thing before, but I was registered green for a while and other primaries probably never got to Pennsylvania before so maybe that's why I've not seen it before. So I start talking about it with the people coming in to vote and they are clueless too. Man, even the poll operators were like, "yeah, I don't know what's up with that vote for the delegates thing. I think thats new this year. Tom, you remember that before?" "No".

Not even the news (real or 'otherwise') mentioned it...

:sigh: :sad: :mad: :huh: :|

deep said:
\random question

is it a conspiracy?

who benefits?

If it doesn't turn out a person's way in the USA it's usually considered a conspiracy-in that person's head.

In the USA, the people who deal from hate and fear are usually the largest conspiracy theorists/buffs.

<>

deep said:

Hi there

Drudge has Hillary at 52 - 48 (exit polls)

only 4 points. :huh:

What do you think?

i'm invisible

Obama tends to over-poll in the exit polls. We'll see what happens.

The world ( minus some really stubborn Americans) are really sick to death of Hillary Clinton. Please, just stop voting for her already and get on with the interesting and historic battle that's meant to be... Obama vs McCain!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom