US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - The Fifth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2861U2 said:

I'm sure they do. But I wouldn't have expected it from the Obamas. Apparently I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Obama is supposed to be such a unifier of diversity and skin color should be totally irrelevant.

GET ME MORE TYPICAL WHITE PEOPLE!

Color should be irrelevant but we don't live in an ideal world, and politicians definately don't live in an ideal world...

How would Obama be a unifier of diversity if all he had was black people in the first row? Someone would come on here and yell about how "he's only catering to his own race I thought he was suppose to be a unifier".

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How would Obama be a unifier of diversity if all he had was black people in the first row? Someone would come on here and yell about how "he's only catering to his own race I thought he was suppose to be a unifier".

i know, right?

you just can't win with white people.

For the third time in two weeks, Chelsea Clinton has been asked about Monica Lewinsky while campaigning for her mother. The question seems to be gaining popularity among college kids who either want to get a rise out of Clinton or are looking for the same kind of attention lavished on Evan Strange, the Butler University student, who first brought up the sore subject.
Read about what happened on Monday:

Many in the crowd at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind., booed Monday when a question about the impeachment proceedings against President Clinton came up. Chelsea Clinton quickly summed up her position: "If that's what you want to vote on, that's what you should vote on. But I think there are other people (who are) going to vote on things like health care and economics," she said.

Amanda Morris, president of Purdue's Students for Hillary chapter, said Tuesday that she approved of the audience reaction and how Clinton is responding. She also expects the question might keep coming up.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ts-mccain-rice-ticket-could-win-big/#comments

Poll suggests McCain-Rice ticket could win big

(CNN) – Condoleezza Rice has said she has no desire to be John McCain's running mate, but a new poll out Wednesday suggests that duo could beat the Democratic ticket in the bluest of states.

In a new poll conducted by Marist College and WNBC, a McCain-Rice ticket would beat a ticket that includes both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in New York — a state that reliably votes for the Democratic candidate. (In 2004, John Kerry beat President Bush there by nearly 20 points. In 2000, the margin between Al Gore and Bush was an even higher 25 points.)

But should McCain and Rice team up, the poll suggests the two Republicans would carry New York, defeating a Clinton-Obama ticket by 3 points (49-46 percent) and an Obama-Clinton ticket by 5 points (49-44 percent.)

The poll comes days after a leading Republican strategist suggested Rice, contrary to her own public statements, is engaging in a behind-the-scenes campaign to land a spot on McCain's ticket. Former Bush administration official Dan Senor made the suggestion on ABC Sunday, noting Rice's recent appearance at the weekly meeting of Americans for Tax Reform — a leading organization of Republican insiders — as evidence she is attempting to cozy up to the conservative elite.

That suggestion immediately had Beltway insiders speculating on the potential advantages Rice would deliver, especially in light of the fact the Democratic presidential ticket will either feature a woman or an African-American for the first time in American history.

Rice herself attempted to put the speculation to rest Tuesday, saying, "I very much look forward to watching this campaign and voting as a voter — I have a lot of work to do and then I'll happily go back to Stanford."

But with polls like this, it's likely some Republicans hope she reconsiders.

Obama: Repeal of 'don't ask' possible

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 26 minutes ago

Barack Obama says if elected president he will not require that his Joint Chiefs of Staff be opposed to the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that prevents gays from serving openly in the military.

The Democratic presidential front-runner favors repealing the policy, which was instituted during the Clinton administration. He said his priority for the Joint Chiefs will be that they make decisions to strengthen the military and keep the country safe, not their position on the policy.

"I would never make this a litmus test for the Joint Chiefs of Staff," Obama said in an interview with The Advocate, a gay newsmagazine.

"But I think there's increasing recognition within the Armed Forces that this is a counterproductive strategy," he said. "We're spending large sums of money to kick highly qualified gays or lesbians out of our military, some of whom possess specialties like Arab-language capabilities that we desperately need. That doesn't make us more safe."

The Advocate provided The Associated Press with excerpts of the interview, to be posted on its Web site Friday.

The interview comes after Obama was criticized by gay advocates for not speaking to the gay media. The Philadelphia Gay News last week ran a large blank space on its front page next to an interview with Hillary Rodham Clinton to highlight that he did not talk to the publication.

"The gay press may feel like I'm not giving them enough love, but basically all press feels that way at all times," Obama told The Advocate. He said he's frequently spoken out against homophobia and in support of gay rights.

Asked what he could reasonably accomplish for the gay community as president, Obama said he can "reasonably see" repeal of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy as well as signing legislation to ban workplace discrimination against gays. He said he'd like transgendered people to be covered by the law, but thinks it would be tough to get such legislation through Congress.

Obama also said he's interested in ensuring that same-sex couples in civil unions get federal benefits.

(Reuters) McCain doesn't rule out preemptive war

Wed Apr 9

Republican U.S. presidential candidate John McCain said on Wednesday he would not rule out launching preemptive wars against future enemies.

President George W. Bush, in launching his 2003 invasion of Iraq, said it was necessary to forestall possible future attacks from a country that was developing weapons of mass destruction.

None of the weapons he alleged were in Iraq were subsequently found.

McCain, who has wrapped up his party's nomination to run for the White House in the November election, has maintained support for Iraq war and has said frequently that he would rather lose an election than a war.

When asked at a town hall meeting about the Bush policy on preemption, McCain said: "I don't think you can make a blanket statement about preemptive war because obviously it depends on the threat that the United States of America faces."

After the September 11 attacks Bush approved a new national security strategy in 2002 that allowed the United States to strike first against U.S. enemies believed to be about to use weapons of mass destruction against America.

The doctrine triggered a wide debate and criticism from the administration's critics at the time.

In an October 2002 speech, Bush made the case for invading Iraq, saying: "Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof -- the smoking gun -- that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud."

McCain said the U.S. president should consult more closely with members of Congress so that the branches of government could act together if a threat were imminent.

"In normal times as you see a looming threat ... I think you need to consult more closely and more carefully not with every member of Congress but certainly the leaders of Congress."

NEW YORK — Experience is central to Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid, and Wednesday night she tapped one of pop music's most venerable rockers to help fill her campaign coffers with $2.5 million. Elton John, who has sold records and filled arenas for four decades, played a benefit concert for Clinton at Radio City Music Hall.

"I've always been a Hillary supporter," John, 61, said before launching into his 1970 breakthrough hits, "Your Song" and "Border Song." "There is no one more qualified to lead America."

The English singer, composer and pianist added: "I'm amazed by the misogynistic attitudes of some of the people in this country. And I say to hell with them .... I love you Hillary, I'll be there for you."

I agree with Karl Rove! About her campaign being astonishingly bad. Agreeing with diamond recently in FYM was bad enough. Wow. I'm off to check into a rehab or something...

examiner.com

April 9

Karl Rove is a whipping boy for the Left and former New York Times editor Howell Raines has recently become a whipping boy for the Right.

So when the two of them go head to head, you can expect some fireworks.

Such was the case Tuesday night at a panel discussion sponsored by The Week magazine.

"The Clinton campaign has run a very negative campaign," said Raines. "They have constantly -- but in a very subtle way -- had people remind the public that [Sen. Barack Obama] is black." Howell later said that the "best thing [Sen. Hillary Clinton] has going for her" is the fact that Obama is consistently stigmatized by the fact that "if you're a black candidate, you have to apologize for every stupid thing ever said by any black person."

No small accusation by Raines, and even Rove had to agree that Sen. Clinton has run a poor campaign.

"She has run a horrific campaign," said Rove. "It has been astonishingly bad. ... [Obama] has strategically always run a better campaign than she has tactically."

Well, at least they could agree on that. But the synergy ended there. Rove called Obama's recent Philadelphia speech on race "a very cynical maneuver" and accused Obama of "throwing [his grandmother] under the bus." (In that speech, Obama said his grandmother "confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe.")

Rove said that Obama equivocated so much in that speech that he essentially declared each American "morally equivalent to a guy who says 'Goddamn America." (Rove was referring to Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the a former pastor of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ.) Still, Rove called the speech "brilliantly executed" and said "a lot of people slobbered all over it." In Rove's opinion, Obama should have come out and said that Rev. Wright "was close to me, he helped bring me closer to Christ but this was reprehensible."

Raines disagreed, obviously. "What you've just heard is the Republican campaign in the Nitroglycerin."

Raines' criticism wasn't limited to Rove or Hillary, however. Husband Bill Clinton came into play, too, and Raines called him -- and "Clinton fatigue" generally -- Hillary's "biggest liability."

"Her husband has cost her votes," said Raines.

Yeas & Nays later asked Rove: If you were a member of the Democratic Party, would you encourage Sen. Clinton to pull out of the race?

"Hey, it's a free country," Rove told us. "Besides," he added, with a bit of enthusiasm, "I'm not a member of the Democratic Party."

When we asked Raines how he assessed his performance against Rove, he said: "He's a pro and I'm a bit rusty, but I think I did okay."

Rove or no

bad campaign or not

Hillary still is the Dems best chance to win the Whitehouse

but, as I have been saying for at least a couple of weeks now

Obama most likeley will be the nom

and most likely lose

and I expect McCain to win around 300 electoral votes

Obama will lose by more than Gore, Kerry and perhaps even more than Bush 1 lost to Clinton in 92

An AP-Ipsos poll taken in late February had Obama leading McCain 51-41 percent. The current survey, conducted April 7-9, had them at 45 percent each.

McCain leads Obama among men, whites, Southerners, married women
and

independents.

Clinton led McCain, 48-43 percent,

in February. The latest survey showed the New York senator with 48 percent support to McCain's 45 percent.

the second there's a democratic nominee,

there will be a big bounce in the polls, similar to one that comes after the convention

these polls don't mean much right now, except where the conversation currently is, and nothing else

Assuming Obama becomes the nominee, I'm interested in seeing how many of the 28% of Hillary supporters actually do switch to McCain.

deep said:
Rove or no

Obama most likeley will be the nom

and most likely lose

and I expect McCain to win around 300 electoral votes

Obama will lose by more than Gore, Kerry and perhaps even more than Bush 1 lost to Clinton in 92

As much as I want that to be true, I just don't see it being that big of a margin. I'm curious what you base this off of.

deep said:

there still is no GOP nominee

there are only presumptions

most people believe Obama will be the Dem nom

that's a total cop-out.

there is a virtual GOP nominee,

no one is spending their days and nights slamming McCain with negative ads and wildly dishonest stories about sniper fire.

and there are two Dem candidates, one of whom seems to be laying the groundwork for 2012, no matter the cost.

Irvine511 said:

and there are two Dem candidates, one of whom seems to be laying the groundwork for 2012, no matter the cost.

2012+ was Obama's Plan A

it is too bad for everyone
that he went for
Plan 9 from Outer Space

Last edited:
2861U2 said:
Assuming Obama becomes the nominee, I'm interested in seeing how many of the 28% of Hillary supporters actually do switch to McCain.

I think it's going to be a lot less than are actually claiming they'd do so now. It's basically the same as what happened when McCain came back to life and became the frontrunner of the Republican pack. All those cries of right-wingers voting for Hillary before McCain? BS - they'll be voting for McCain. :)

I think that 28% are people that are concerned about Obama's lack of experience.

I would vote for Hillary over McCain

I can not say I will vote for Obama in November 2008.

diamond said:
Uh oh another endorsement for Brother McCain:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080406/us_nm/greenspan_recession_dc_2

I think the VRWC is on the move.

greenspan.jpeg

You go Greenspank!

<>

Sorry Diamond.

Using the stock market as an unofficial benchmark, a recession would have begun in March 2000 when the NASDAQ crashed following the collapse of the Dot-com bubble.

A Democrat...yes bill was in charge when the recession began.

And just so you know. A recession is itself is not bad. It corrects the economy. Just like now. It usually comes every 6 to 7 years.

Read some economy books.

Irvine511 said:

McCain supporters aren't black.

Irvine511,

What an idiotic statement. So you know every one of McCain's supporters and their racial background?

No wonder a republican will be in office again with statements like that.

This is one reason Obama will never be elected.

http://www.tucc.org/about.htm

United Church of Christ Statement of Faith in the form of a doxology

We believe in you, O God, Eternal Spirit, God of our Savior Jesus Christ and our God, and to your deeds we testify: You call the worlds into being, create persons in your own image,and set before each one the ways of life and death. You seek in holy love to save all people from aimlessness and sin. You judge people and nations by your righteous will declared through prophets and apostles. In Jesus Christ, the man of Nazareth, our crucified and risen Savior, you have come to us and shared our common lot, conquering sin and death and reconciling the world to yourself. You bestow upon us your Holy Spirit, creating and renewing the church of Jesus Christ, binding in covenant faithful people of all ages, tongues, and races. You call us into your church to accept the cost and joy of discipleship, to be your servants in the service of others, to proclaim the gospel to all the world and resist the powers of evil,to share in Christ's baptism and eat at his table, to join him in his passion and victory. You promise to all who trust you forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace, courage in the struggle for justice and peace, your presence in trial and rejoicing, and eternal life in your realm which has no end. Blessing and honor, glory and power be unto you. Amen.

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a 10-point Vision:

A congregation committed to ADORATION.
A congregation preaching SALVATION.
A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.
A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.
A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.
A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.
A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF AFRICAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.
A congregation committed to LIBERATION.
A congregation committed to RESTORATION.
A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY.

tim722 said:
Irvine511,

What an idiotic statement. So you know every one of McCain's supporters and their racial background?
That wasn't a statistical assessment, it was a cheap swipe at deep. The tone of your reply isn't an improvement on that.

Let's keep snide asides out of the discussion please, folks.

tim722 said:

Sorry Diamond.

Using the stock market as an unofficial benchmark, a recession would have begun in March 2000 when the NASDAQ crashed following the collapse of the Dot-com bubble.

No using the stock market, only name recognition.
Greenspan's name carrries clout.

His support is a definite boon any candidate.

<>

White women begin to turn away from Clinton
David Lightman | McClatchy Newspapers

last updated: April 13, 2008 06:43:52 AM

LEVITTOWN, Pa. — Like many women over 50, Paula Houwen was eager to vote for Hillary Clinton for president.

"I was impressed when she was first lady. She wasn't the country's trophy wife," the 56-year-old suburban Philadelphia pharmacist recalled.

Today, though, Houwen's no longer a Clinton fan.

"I do not like the way Hillary Clinton has run her campaign," she said.

Clinton's strongest core of support — white women — is beginning to erode in Pennsylvania, the site of the critical April 22 Democratic presidential primary, and a loss here could effectively end her White House run.

A Quinnipiac University survey taken April 3-6 in Pennsylvania found that Clinton's support fell 6 percentage points in a week among white women. Nationally, a Lifetime Networks poll of women found that 26 percent said they liked Clinton less now than in January, while only 15 percent said they liked her more.

"These are Democratic women who waited all their lives for a woman president, but Hillary is not turning them on," said polling analyst Clay Richards.

The Clinton campaign is aware of the danger, and last week it began dispatching friends of Clinton from New York, Washington and elsewhere to key Pennsylvania communities to have "living room chats" with women.

"We thought this might happen," senior Clinton adviser Ann Lewis said of the erosion. A key reason, she said, is rival Barack Obama's ad barrage, notably his gentle but persistent reminders to TV viewers that he's well-equipped to heal the ailing economy.

"I can't overcome the media barrage, so we need to go back to talking to people about their personal concerns," said Lewis, "and emphasizing her experience."

Economic concerns are at the top of most women's lists, and "Obama is coming across to more and more people as qualified on that issue," Richards said.

Interviews in suburban Philadelphia, an area full of swing voters who are likely to determine the outcome of the primary, found other reasons for Clinton's shaky support.

A lot of white women, and for that matter white men, want the race to end and increasingly consider Obama an acceptable nominee.

"There may be a general, reluctant acceptance that things just don't look that good for Clinton," said Susan Carroll, a professor of political science and women's and gender studies at Rutgers University.

The most familiar echo among many Pennsylvania women when they discuss Clinton, however, is disappointment. Ask them when they became disillusioned with the woman who would be president, and they can cite almost the exact moment.

For Clare Howard, a meditation teacher from Southhampton, it was the night in January when Bill Clinton suggested that Obama did well in the South Carolina primary because of his race.

That went too far, said Howard, 60. "It was like they would do anything to win," she said.

Joan Schmidt, 60, a school psychologist in Levittown, grew tired of hearing Clinton tout — and exaggerate — her experience.

Jane Dovel, 68, an artist in Doylestown, turned away from Clinton after hearing the New York senator's reaction to Obama's comments that Ronald Reagan had been a "transformative political figure."

Clinton fired back that Republicans hadn't had better ideas. "I don't think it's a better idea to privatize Social Security," she said. "I don't think it's a better idea to eliminate the minimum wage."

That's not what Obama had said, recalled Dovel. "What Clinton said was a blatant lie," she said. "From that moment on, she was history. She was not to be trusted."

Obama's increasing ability to convince these women that he's on their side has contributed to their shift away from Clinton.

Most are old enough to remember John F. Kennedy, and it's common to hear them say how much the Illinois senator reminds them of the young president. "He's definitely someone who knows how to get everyone on board," said Jill Saul, a Bristol teacher.

Howard was struck by how much her three children were impressed with Obama — much the way Democratic youngsters were taken with Kennedy.

"If I ever want to look my kids in the eye again," she laughed, "I have to go with Obama."

The Clinton forces realize that a new trend_ Clinton, after all, still leads Obama among white women by 28 points in the Quinnipiac poll — could quickly become a tidal wave if left unchecked.

So they're planning more living-room visits, closed to the media and not publicized, as a way of reminding people of Clinton's personal qualities.

Clinton is getting to be a tougher sell, though, because a lot of women have thought long and hard about moving away from someone whom they've wanted for a long time.

"If elected, I'm sure she'll do a good job," said Michele Scarborough, a Quakertown borough councilwoman. "But I just don't feel she's one of us."

To read the Lifetime Networks poll, go to:

www.mylifetime.com/community/my-lif...ts-so-do-womens-opinions-candidates-perceptio

To read the Quinnipiac poll, go to:

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1327.xml?ReleaseID=1165

politico.com

U.S. Rep. Geoff Davis, a Hebron Republican, compared Obama and his message for change similar to a "snake oil salesman" [at a Northern Kentucky Lincoln Day dinner].

He said in his remarks at the GOP dinner that he also recently participated in a "highly classified, national security simulation" with Obama.

"I'm going to tell you something: That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," Davis said. "He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country."

An aide to Davis, Jeremy Hughes, declined to comment on the remark, and didn't dispute the accuracy of the quote.

April 14, 2008
Categories: Barack Obama

Davis Apologizes: 'A poor choice of words'

Rep. Geoff Davis, moving to contain the damage of a Saturday night reference to Barack Obama as a "boy" whose finger shouldn't be on the nuclear button, has apologized.

In a letter to Obama, which a Davis aide provided to Politico, Davis apologized for his "poor choice of words."

"I offer my sincere apology to you and ask for your forgiveness," he wrote.

The letter makes no reference to the substance of Davis's remarks, that Obama's behavior in a classified exercise had convinced Davis the Illinois Senator is unready to be president.

"Immediately upon arriving back in Washington, D.C. today, Congressman Davis personally delivered a letter of apology to Senator Obama's office," said Davis campaign manager Jeremy Hughes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom