US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Richardson just dropped out.

ETA: wait, now a spokesman for him is denying that...

:shrug:

Regardless, I think he'd throw his support to Hillary.

Last edited:
I think it's a sure thing that he will run. Monkey wrench :wink:

NEW YORK (CNN) -- New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has launched a research effort to assess his chances in a potential bid for the presidency, a source close to the mayor told CNN.

The source said data is being gathered but that the mayor -- who has been widely speculated as being interested in running for the White House as an independent -- has not yet begun analyzing that data, the source said.

The source, who is intimately familiar with the mayor's deliberations, said Bloomberg has set early March as a timetable for making a decision.

Bloomberg, a former Democrat who was elected to the mayor's office as a Republican, joined a panel of moderate current and former lawmakers earlier this week at the University of Oklahoma in Norman.

The group, made up of both Democrats and Republicans, called for a return to bipartisanship in government.

"What has changed is that people have stopped working together," Bloomberg said at the Monday gathering.

"Government is dysfunctional. There is no collaboration and congeniality. There is no working together and 'Let's do what's right for the country.' There is no accountability today ... no willingness to focus on big ideas."

Bloomberg, 65, was elected mayor of New York in 2001, two months after the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center, and re-elected in 2005.

A native of Medford, Massachusetts, with an MBA from Harvard Business School, Bloomberg made his fortune first working with Wall Street securities bank Salomon Brothers, then as founder of Bloomberg LP, a financial news and information service.

MrsSpringsteen said:
NEW YORK (CNN) --

"What has changed is that people have stopped working together," Bloomberg said at the Monday gathering.

"...There is no collaboration and congeniality. There is no working together and 'Let's do what's right for the country.' There is no accountability today ... no willingness to focus on big ideas."

Says the guy considering running as a spoiler. :rolleyes:

Apparently he's been too busy to pay attention to the level of real success of third party candidates in the US.

Anyone think Kerry's endorsement helps in any way? He isn't exactly the face of a successful presidential campaign. If he really wanted to help Obama, why not endorse him before NH, rather than after? Kerry being from a neighboring state may have caused NH to turn out a little differently.

That's ok

Kerry has a history of being "for" something
then "againt" it.

Once we get a couple more primaries over
we will see who or what he is "for", then.

Obama ought to request a private meeting with Edwards...

Offer him a guarantee of the VP spot should he(Obama) win the nomination in exchange for his(Edwards') dropping out ASAP.

Obama needs Edwards' votes.

Why do you say that? After the New Hampshire debate, lots of people were saying that it was obvious Edwards wanted to be Obama's VP.

There's no way in hell he's going to be president, so if he really wants to be in a position of power and get things done, why not take VP?

U2democrat said:
Edwards would never go for VP again

You don't think he'd accept? I bet he would. The thing is, I'm not sure if he'd be offered it. Would Obama risk a VP that failed last time?

namkcuR said:
Obama ought to request a private meeting with Edwards...

Offer him a guarantee of the VP spot should he(Obama) win the nomination in exchange for his(Edwards') dropping out ASAP.

Obama needs Edwards' votes.

Perhaps a seat on the Supreme Court would be more appealing (not financially) to Edwards.

Of course it would probably take a 60 Dems in the Senate to get it up for a vote.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
What makes you think he would? He wants to be on the top of the ticket and after 2004 I don't think he would settle for the bottom again.

What's so dishonorable about getting the VP nod? I think he would have a much better chance of getting it this time. If it doesn't work out, then he can go back to whatever.

coemgen said:
What's so dishonorable about getting the VP nod? I think he would have a much better chance of getting it this time. If it doesn't work out, then he can go back to whatever.
I think she may have been referring to what by the end of Kerry's campaign was the painfully obvious fact that he and Edwards weren't getting along at all (purportedly they weren't even on speaking terms), which had to be pretty humiliating for Edwards.

I do like the idea of an Obama/Edwards ticket, but I can understand skepticism as to whether Edwards would accept that. Obama/Clinton (or Clinton/Obama) is hard for me to imagine right now--I have a hard time seeing either of them being willing to play second fiddle to the other when they could continue to focus on their Senate careers instead.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – In the race for presidential endorsements, Mike Huckabee has the kitschy pop culture celebrity vote on lockdown.

First it was martial arts hero and "Walker, Texas Ranger" star Chuck Norris, who appears with Huckabee in his first TV ad.

Then hard-rocking hunting enthusiast Ted Nugent jumped on the Huckabee bandwagon, citing the Republican's support for second amendment rights.

Now, Huckabee is getting ready to rumble: wrestler Ric Flair, a.k.a. The Nature Boy, is supporting the former Arkansas governor in his bid for the White House.

CNN has learned the WWE wrestler is on board with Huckabee, and will co-host a campaign tailgate with the candidate at the South Carolina vs. Clemson football game on Saturday afternoon in Columbia, South Carolina. More details are forthcoming.

t1home.flair.gi.jpg

I believe John Kerry allegedly commented on Edwards talking about his deceased son Wade and accused him of using it politically, I recall reading that somewhere. So I can't imagine Edwards wants anything to do with him or even cares about his endorsement.

yolland said:

I think she may have been referring to what by the end of Kerry's campaign was the painfully obvious fact that he and Edwards weren't getting along at all (purportedly they weren't even on speaking terms), which had to be pretty humiliating for Edwards.

Why weren't they getting along? I've never this, what happened?

Yeah, I don't know that there was ever any detailed inside info on their relationship made public. There were vague insider insinuations at the time that Kerry felt Edwards wasn't sufficiently supportive of him, that Edwards in turn felt straitjacketed by Kerry, that Kerry would have really preferred Dick Gephardt all along and made that obvious, that Kerry regarded Edwards' talking publically about the effects of his son's death on him as distasteful, that their New-England-reserve/Southern-loquaciousness personalities clashed, that just in general the two of them had never 'clicked' socially despite having been acquainted for years, etc., etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom