US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrsSpringsteen said:

President Bush:

The pictures were just what the White House wanted: A teary-eyed President Bush presenting the Medal of Honor posthumously to a slain war hero in the East Room. [Washington Post, 1/12/07]

I have to at least defend President Bush here. I don't think there's a double standard at all. If Hillary was president and was presenting a medal to a dead soldier, I don't think the media would care if she cried. I certainly wouldn't. Hillary's little moment yesterday was far from comparable. Do you really think if she was still the frontrunner that she would have gotten so emotional? The answer is no. Rush is absolutely right when he says "Nothing the Clintons do is ever coincidental. Everything is calculated" If Bush had started to cry when McCain beat him in NH in 2000, I'm sure the media would have covered that and justifiably so. It's not a matter of who gets teary-eyed, but why.

I won't defend Mitt or the other examples here, but I don't think Hillary's "crying" can be compared to the true emotion President Bush must have felt. I'd be much more shocked if he or any president didn't get emotional doing something like that.

Last edited:
anitram said:
^

They should put up photos of those two guys on the main page of all the local newspapers so that the women in the area have fair warning.

Speculation is that they were plants by the Clintons, to make Hillary look stronger.

dbs

2861U2 said:

Hillary's little moment yesterday was far from comparable. Do you really think if she was still the frontrunner that she would have gotten so emotional? The answer is no.

You're trying to turn a vagina into a penis. It is not going to work.
Men and women deal with things very differently, but the important part is that they deal with it.
What's gonna happen when your wife comes home from work after a very stressful day and has a good cry about it?
She's obviously not human material. :tsk:

2861U2 said:

Do you really think if she was still the frontrunner that she would have gotten so emotional? The answer is no. Rush is absolutely right

Seriously, just stop. Stop listening to Rush, and stop thinking you know exactly how everyone would react.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Crying isn't acceptable when your football team wins or loses, but I see men do that all the time.

yeah, but they're not running for president now are they?

dbs

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Seriously, just stop.

Seriously, chill out.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Stop listening to Rush,

No thank you.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
and stop thinking you know exactly how everyone would react.

When did I say that? I'm saying that you're a moron if you don't realize Hillary was crying because she is losing. EVERYTHING they do is planned. If it isn't, why is this the first time we've seen Hillary get so emotional like this? Why none of these moments when she was the inevitable successor to Bush?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

stop thinking you know exactly how everyone would react.

I believe this little remark would be better aimed at some of your pals in here who call Limbaugh's listeners "racists" and think all Republicans are bigots and hate black people.

2861U2 said:

I'm saying that you're a moron if you don't realize Hillary was crying because she is losing.

I could care less why or what caused her to cry, the fact that it's even made an issue is what's moronic.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I could care less why or what caused her to cry, the fact that it's even made an issue is what's moronic.

And I agree. I really don't care if someone is crying. I certainly understand Hillary's frustration, and I really (as much as I can bring myself to) feel bad for her. I mean, we are witnessing possibly the biggest collapse of a candidate in modern presidential election history. The woman who has been the inevitable next president for a few years now, the woman who has been planning this run since 2002, is nosediving fast.

2861U2 said:

I mean, we are witnessing possibly the biggest collapse of a candidate in modern presidential election history. The woman who has been the inevitable next president for a few years now,

Exagerate much?:wink:

2861U2 said:

I'm saying that you're a moron if you don't realize Hillary was crying because she is losing.

This is probably the #1 reason that she is crying. And also because there's a strong mentality out there that there will never be a fit woman president. The "Iron my shirt" heckle is completely degrading. It would have been the same if they had called Obama a you-know-what.
I don't even care for Hillary and would probably not vote for her at all, but I think it's admirable that she can get up there and take the insults like, "Are we ready for a woman president?"
We shouldn't even be asking. Same with Obama. But anyway...
EVERYTHING they do is planned.
:lol:
Then: She was crying because she was a loser.
Now: She's crying on cue so she's not a loser.

Make up your minds!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
the fact that it's even made an issue is what's moronic.
Unfortunately, this is what politics has come down to. You can only cry in certain circumstances, you can't give a shout, lest they call you deranged, etc...
It's entertainment at its finest. And people thought the coverage on Britney Spears was bad.

PlaTheGreat said:

The "Iron my shirt" heckle is completely degrading. I don't even care for Hillary and would probably not vote for her at all, but I think it's admirable that she can get up there and take the insults like, "Are we ready for a woman president?"
We shouldn't even be asking. Same with Obama. But anyway...

And I agree completely with that.

PlaTheGreat said:

Then: She was crying because she was a loser.
Now: She's crying on cue so she's not a loser.

Make up your minds!

No, I think we're talking about two different things here:

Do I have a problem with Hillary or any other politician of either gender crying? No. I don't care.

But do I think that Hillary would have gotten emotional if she had won Iowa? I don't think so. It's obvious that the frustration that she just might not win this thing is getting to her, something which, of course, wouldn't happen if she was still the clear frontrunner.

But you said it was planned. So was it planned or getting emotional because she lost?

Do the Clinton's plan their emotions? Do you have some secret insider information that they are really robots?

U2isthebest said:
It's not really presidential to start a war under false pretenses, and to defy the wishes of the U.N.; or to call the document that we've based our entire government upon a "goddamned piece of paper", but that apparently hasn't stopped our current leader.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml

-Nor is it Presidential to not know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite, or the fact that Sunnis and Shiites exist, before attacking a nation that has a conflict between Sunnis and Shiites.

-Nor is it Presidential to ignore the warnings that Osama bin Laden is planning an attack on the U.S. and not even have one meeting on Osama bin Laden despite all these warnings and instead to have countless meetings on Saddam Hussein and pre-planning a War in Iraq.

But it IS presidential to worry about those Pakistanis crossing the borders. Am I right? Mike Huckabee'll back me up on this one.

:lol:

It's not presidential to cry, but being stupid is fine.

That could be Huckabilly's new slogan, or the title of Bush's memoirs(of course that would be a picture book).

2861U2 said:

The woman who has been the inevitable next president for a few years now,

Oh please! All I've heard from people like you is how unelectable she is, how polarizing she is and how people will turn out in droves to vote for anyone but her. Now you claim she's been crowned years ago. You can't have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom