US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce! - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #681
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:16 PM
MSNBC.com says '3AM' in the Hawaii primary section.

But Washington State has one too and they should be wrapping up right about now(11PM).

Old 02-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #682
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
MSNBC.com says '3AM' in the Hawaii primary section.

But Washington State has one too and they should be wrapping up right about now(11PM).
I thought Washinton was only for the Republicans today, but I might be mistaken.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #683
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

I thought Washinton was only for the Republicans today, but I might be mistaken.
It is, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't talk about it.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #684
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

It is, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't talk about it.
Oh, I know. I thought you were asking about Democratic results from there.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #685
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:16 AM
I LIVE in Washington and I'm confused by it all.

I voted, but my vote didn't count towards the primary, and if you didn't declare your party on the ballot your vote doesn't count (loads of people put nasty notes in that spot, or left it blank out of confusion or out of protest), but you don't have to vote that party in later elections.

It's all really confusing. I don't remember anything being this confusing in the 2004 election season.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #686
War Child

Local Time: 05:16 PM
a comment on the 'plagerism' charge- how can Obama be blamed? No politician writes their own speech!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #687
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
a comment on the 'plagerism' charge- how can Obama be blamed? No politician writes their own speech!
Actually, I heard on the news a few days ago that Obama in fact does write many of his speeches.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #688
Blue Crack Supplier

it seems that McCain actually came in THIRD in Wisconsin.

crushed by both HRC and Obama.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #689
ONE
love, blood, life

Random question:

Why do the Democrats require so many more delegates to clinch the nomination than the Republicans?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #690
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 PM
The Washington primary doesn't count for Democrats -- all the delegates were awarded from the caucus Feb. 9th (which Obama won, yay!). So Democrats voting in today's primary were essentially voting in a beauty contest.

For Republicans, half of the delegates were awarded from the Feb. 9th caucus, and half from today's primary.

There's a lot of sentiment to get rid of the caucuses, but the parties are stubborn.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:53 AM   #691
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I LIVE in Washington and I'm confused by it all.

I voted, but my vote didn't count towards the primary, and if you didn't declare your party on the ballot your vote doesn't count (loads of people put nasty notes in that spot, or left it blank out of confusion or out of protest), but you don't have to vote that party in later elections.

It's all really confusing. I don't remember anything being this confusing in the 2004 election season.
Push comes to shove.

You're in a secluded cabin up in the mountains.

Would you rather have relations with Mulder or Scully?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #692
Blue Crack Addict

NEW YORK — NBC News said Tuesday it has reprimanded the employee responsible for mistakenly flashing a picture of Osama bin Laden on MSNBC as Chris Matthews talked about Barack Obama.

"This mistake was inexcusable," MSNBC spokesman Jeremy Gaines said.

It happened during the opening of Hardball Monday evening. Matthews was previewing a story on the controversy over Obama's use of another politician's words, and a picture of bin Laden briefly flashed on the screen beside him with the headline "Words About Words."

The Obama campaign immediately called NBC to complain, and Matthews apologized on the air a few minutes later. When Hardball was rerun later that night, a picture of Obama replaced the picture of the terrorist leader.

The mistake was made by someone in the network's graphics department whom MSNBC would not identify. The network did not explain exactly how the mistake was made nor detail the punishment for the employee.

Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor noted the apology and said the campaign had no other comment.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #693
Blue Crack Addict

February 19, 2008 9:51 PM

ABC News' Ron Claiborne and Teddy Davis Report: Arizona Sen. John McCain unveiled a new line of attack against Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., following his Tuesday win in Wisconsin's Republican primary.

"I will work hard to make sure Americans aren't deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change," said McCain.

The presumed Republican nominee also knocked his likely Democratic opponent by taking a shot at the "confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate."

The Obama camp -- fresh off a big win of their own in Wisconsin -- quickly responded.

"John McCain's remarks tonight shows why he's offering nothing more than a third term of George Bush's policies -– more fear-mongering, more than a century of war in Iraq, and more budget-busting tax cuts for the wealthiest few at the expense of hardworking Americans," said Obama campaign spokesperson Bill Burton.

A week ago, after winning the Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. primaries, McCain suggested without ever using Obama's name that the Illinois Democrat's theme of hope was nothing more than "a platitude."

But Tuesday was the first time that he painted his rival as "eloquent but empty."

Obama spokesman Bill Burton responded to McCain's barb by accusing the Arizona senator of offering "nothing more than a third term of George Bush's policies: more fear-mongering, more than a century of war in Iraq, and more budget-busting tax cuts for the wealthiest few at the expense of hardworking Americans."

McCain also used his victory speech to take what some might interpret as a subtle dig at Obama's wife.

"I have never lived a day, in good times or bad, that I haven’t been proud of the privilege" of being an American, said McCain. "Don't tell me what we can't do. Don't tell me we can’t make our country stronger and the world safer. We can. We must. And when I'm President we will."

Speaking Monday in Milwaukee, Wisc., Michelle Obama said, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country . . . not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

Asked about McCain's new "eloquent but empty" line of attack, McCain spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker called it, "A preview of things to come."
Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 AM   #694
ONE
love, blood, life

Damn, McCain's nervous.

You know what's NOT eloquent, but is empty? McCain's attacks on Obama. Learn what your fellow candidates stand for, McCain. I'm sure you have plenty of extra time on your hands aboard the Shit Talk Express. Take a visit to www.barackobama.com and actually come up with something to say that relates to Obama's policies as opposed to this petty statement. Obama, at least, mentioned specific issues in his statments about McCain.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #695
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
Damn, McCain's nervous.

I actually checked CNN when I woke up in the middle of the night last night to see the result of Hawaii (wasn't shocked in the least when I saw it overwhelmingly went to Obama, but I still felt the need to check ).
Old 02-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #696
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I actually checked CNN when I woke up in the middle of the night last night to see the result of Hawaii (wasn't shocked in the least when I saw it overwhelmingly went to Obama, but I still felt the need to check ).
If I had woken up last night, I probably would have checked too.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #697
Blue Crack Addict

It's a good day for Obama supporters Now let's have this momentum continue through the 4th...of both March and November.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #698
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
It's a good day for Obama supporters Now let's have this momentum continue through the 4th...of both March and November.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #699
Blue Crack Addict

So at this point, Hillary has to win 58% of the remaining delegates just to overtake Obama's lead...that's not even to reach the threshold of 2025 delegates to clinch the nomination.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #700
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
So at this point, Hillary has to win 58% of the remaining delegates just to overtake Obama's lead...that's not even to reach the threshold of 2025 delegates to clinch the nomination.
I heard that Obama would have to win every remaining state by about 70%-30 in order to get 2025. Chances are, its going to the convention. Unless Hillary loses both Ohio and Texas, I don't see her quitting.