US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
deep said:

I believe that if the nom is determined be the under 40 group Obama wins hands down

and if it is determined by the over 55 group, Hillary would win hands down

so the 40-55 age group is where the battle for votes is happening

and if/when Hillary wins by dragging Obama down to the base level of political combat that's been around since 1968,

yet another disillusioned generation will turn away from politics forever.

She'll go there again, too. :sexywink:

Well, really...if it turns out that Obama can be "dragged down" to Hillary's level, then the same thing could be said of Obama that has been said of Hillary...that he'd do anything to win. It remains to be seen. I personally hope he doesn't do that because I need to see that he can walk his talk, even if it means losing.

joyfulgirl said:
I need to see that he can walk his talk, even if it means losing.

would this apply to the general election? with the SCOTUS on the line?

i think this is an interesting question.

how bad is "the system"?

ETA: for now, i feel as if it's important to support genuine change candidates on the local and state level. on a national level ... they just haven't convinced me that they can win.

Last edited:
It's time for these old people to move out of the way. Ya'all have fucked it up enough for us. :wink:

Irvine511 said:

would this apply to the general election? with the SCOTUS on the line?

i think this is an interesting question.

how bad is "the system"?

ETA: for now, i feel as if it's important to support genuine change candidates on the local and state level. on a national level ... they just haven't convinced me that they can win.

It is a good question and one I go back and forth on. I was referring, however, to Obama walking his talk even if it meant losing the nomination, not the presidency.

And going back your comment about a disillusioned generation turning away from politics forever...well, all I can say is I've been voting for mostly losing candidates for 20 years and remain involved. I would hope the same would be true for this younger generation. You get discouraged, and then you get stronger. You keep supporting the most progressive candidate at the time until they can go no further to send the message that you want real change, and then throw your support behind next best. You keep going.

Last edited:
Yeah, people of our generation like Obama and Bono are real fuck-ups while some members of this younger generation are threatening to quit if their guy doesn't win. :wink:

joyfulgirl said:
Yeah, people of our generation like Obama and Bono are real fuck-ups while some members of this younger generation are threatening to quit if their guy doesn't win. :wink:

we're talking about the Boomers :wink:

joyfulgirl said:
this younger generation are threatening to quit if their guy doesn't win. :wink:

:shrug:

next thing

some will post

whiney, spoiled children

that need to be spanked

until their bottoms are red

just getting

revved up for another Friday night

deep said:

:shrug:

next thing

some will post

whiney, spoiled children

that need to be spanked

until their bottoms are red

just getting

revved up for another Friday night

are you looking for volunteers?

Irvine511 said:

ok, ok ... the Vietnam-era generation.

when does Gen X start? i know i'm a baby-Xer.

I don't know...I gave up trying to keep up with it. Technically, Obama's a boomer, but I think it's also fair to say he's from the 60s but not of the 60s. He certainly has more in common with Xers than older boomers. I was just yanking your chain. :D

diamond said:
Sorry kids, this is polictical correctness run amuck.

Free speech = free speech.

It's not like she called her a shrew on Interference.Com

But alas, when you are working for a man who is running for President against a woman, a man who has dignity and class, well you don't make such comments. They are beneath most people. Or perhaps I should say some.

Last edited:
nah, i'll leave that to the younger whippersnappers* like U2democrat. Oops, another old people expression. :reject:

*which i just looked up and it actually doesn't mean what i thought it meant--i meant it as a compliment :huh: see, i'm too young to know its real meaning :wink:

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
nah, i'll leave that to the younger whippersnappers* like U2democrat. Oops, another old people expression. :reject:

*which i just looked up and it actually doesn't mean what i thought it meant--i meant it as a compliment :huh: see, i'm too young to know its real meaning :wink:

My grandpa uses that term all the time to talk about us young people think we know it all and how we're destroying the country.:happy:

U2isthebest said:

My grandpa uses that term all the time to talk about us young people think we know it all and how we're destroying the country.:happy:

I thought it meant something more along the lines of spirited and clever. But since I'm so young I only heard it for the first time the other day, I should be forgiven. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom