US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the ad Vincent referred to as ludicrous. Talk about Rovian tactics! If you showed me that ad and took out the name, I would've thought it was a Bush campaign ad from 2004. I'm surprised she would do something like that.

Last edited:
Vincent Vega said:
So, according to her ad Clinton is better suited to be President because if the phone rings at three o' clock in the morning she already knows the world leaders, from her time as First Lady. Ok, let's take a quick look at some of the countries she would probably contact in a state of emergency:

worldleadersngq.jpg

Hm, did she think nothing happened in the rest of the world since she left the White House? Or is she trying to tell anyone that she knows today's leaders who have been opposition leaders at best back in 2000? I seriously doubt she knows too many of today's world leaders.

Maybe she's been calling them.

When I saw that ad, I swear the first thing I thought was "does Hillary sleep in a pantsuit?"

Florida Democrats gather to select delegates

By Anthony Man

Political Writer

March 2, 2008

Thousands of Democrats turned out Saturday to support their candidate and, perhaps, play a role in picking their party's presidential nominee.

In Plantation, hundreds of people stood outside the party caucus site in late-morning sun waiting to vote. At Spanish River High School in Boca Raton, the crowd was buzzing with enthusiasm before the cafeteria doors opened.

"It says to me that they want a Democratic president. They're tired of the lack of leadership and lack of direction," said state Sen. Nan Rich, D-Weston. "People have had enough. Eight years of Bush-Cheney with the prospect of more of the same is too much for these people."

Like Rich, state Sen. Ted Deutch, D-Boca Raton, is a Hillary Clinton supporter. He said Democrats are ready to send one of their own to the White House.

"We have two historic candidates and the opportunity to move the country in a new direction — forward," Deutch said.

Party leaders estimated 800 Democrats came to Plantation and 500 to Boca Raton. Each congressional district had its own location, and other Broward and Palm Beach County residents caucused in Parkland, Fort Pierce, Miami and Palm City.

No one liked the wait, but many said it was important.

"It's my duty," said Minnie Pearl, 97, widow of the late Sunrise Mayor Dan Pearl. She said she's never missed an opportunity to vote — even in her condominium board elections.

The voters in Democrat-rich South Florida and throughout the state came together to pick 121 delegates they hope will represent Florida at the national convention Aug. 25-28 in Denver. Final results won't be compiled by the state party until at least Monday, but no matter who wins, it won't affect the outcome.

The number of delegates going to Hillary Clinton (61), Barack Obama (14) and John Edwards (13) was determined in the Jan. 29 primary. So the large turnout of Clinton voters for the 20th Congressional District caucus in Plantation didn't get her any more delegates than she was assigned at the beginning of the day.

Whether the delegates picked Saturday will be seated in Denver is still uncertain. When Florida moved up its primary earlier than Democratic rules allowed, the national party punished the state by revoking its convention delegates. Party leaders hope a delegation will get seated, but no final decision has been made.

Anne Castro, a Dania Beach city commissioner, was seething about the national party's decision. "I'm just hoping we're not here for nothing," she said.

Castro favors Clinton but said she'd vote for Obama if he's the nominee — if the Florida delegation is seated. If not, she said, she would abandon the Democratic Party and vote for Republican John McCain for president. "I'm not going to get disenfranchised by my own party," she said.

National Republicans punished their state party, too, taking away half the state's delegates. But the state Republican Party used Saturday's caucuses to issue a press release taunting the Democrats:

"You may be asking why anyone would waste his or her Saturday voting for delegates who will play absolutely zero role in the Democrat nominating convention. But a better question is this: who wouldn't want to be a Democrat delegate? You'll get out of the Florida heat and humidity and get to spend a few days in lovely Denver, Colo. You won't even have to worry about attending the convention — there is no seat for you inside anyway. But that is just as well — you'll be out in the fresh air, rather than the smoke- filled rooms where party bosses will choose the nominee."

Despite the delegate controversy, the atmosphere was electric at the South Florida events.

Any registered Democrat could vote but most had a reason to be there, likely a friend or political ally running for a chance to become a delegate to the national convention.

Newcomers brought friends and neighbors. Political veterans bused in groups of supporters. Candidates for delegates worked the line of party loyalists, supplying them with snacks, coffee and water — then requested their votes.

Broward Democratic Chairman Mitch Ceasar likened it to a carnival or circus atmosphere.

The presidency wasn't the only political essence in the air Saturday.

Candidates for legislative and county offices knew that anyone who showed up for the Democratic caucuses is a likely voter in the August primary.

Adriane Reesey, who's seeking to unseat Broward Supervisor of Elections Brenda Snipes, arrived hours early to get a prime spot for the table she used to distribute coffee and doughnut holes from Dunkin' Donuts.

When a voter wanted two-thirds of a cup of coffee with just a little sugar, Reesey made sure that's just what the voter got.

Congressional incumbents on shaky ground in '08

Activists target lawmakers in Congress who cooperated with the opposition party.

By Gail Russell Chaddock
Christian Science Monitor, March 3

WASHINGTON -- It's shaping up to be a perilous election year for members of Congress, even in primary season when the iron law of incumbency typically prevails. The defeat of two longtime incumbents in Maryland primaries last month stunned official Washington. It's a rare event for members of Congress to lose, but the new element in these races is the role of activist groups on the right and left in defeating incumbents deemed too conciliatory to the other side.

Meanwhile, the 2008 campaign is producing unusually high numbers of credible primary challengers. Reps. Ron Paul (R) of Texas and Dennis Kucinich (D) of Ohio curtailed their presidential campaigns to shore up support in Tuesday primary races--and the congressional primary season, unlike the presidential primary period, is just beginning. "We've already seen as many incumbents knocked off in primary elections so far this year as were defeated in all of 2006," says David Wasserman, who analyzes House races for the Cook Political Report. "It's a 'change' election, so primary challengers have more leeway to establish viability through fundraising and through messaging."

In recent history, members of Congress have rarely faced credible primary opponents. Since 1980, the number of US House members defeated in a primary election can be counted on one hand, except when an incumbent faces an incumbent, as often happens after a decennial census and redistricting. But the number of incumbents with viable primary challengers is rising: In the first 12 months of the 2008 election cycle, 21 House members--9 Democrats and 12 Republicans--face challengers who have raised at least $50,000. That's double the levels of the 2002 and 2004 election cycles, according to the Campaign Finance Institute (CFI) in Washington. "Many of these are not just individual challenges to individual incumbents, they are challenges supported by organizations that are engaged in battles for the soul of their respective parties," says Michael Malbin, CFI executive director. "While the absolute numbers are small, the percentage increase is significant because it's part of a larger story."

Nine-term Rep. Wayne Gilchrest (R) and eight-term Rep. Albert Wynn (D) were both supported by their respective party leaders--the national party campaign organizations don't take sides in primaries--but alienated key activist groups. Mr. Gilchrest, one of two House Republicans who voted for a timetable to withdraw US forces from Iraq, fell afoul of the Club for Growth, an antitax group, over his votes on taxes, spending, and regulation. "He was a big-government, tax-and-spend liberal, and it caught up with him," says former Rep. Pat Toomey (R) of Pennsylvania, who is president of the Club for Growth. His organization spent $700,000 on advocacy ads in the race and bundled an additional $430,000 from the group's members for challenger Andrew Harris, a conservative Maryland state senator...At the same time, labor unions and netroot activists on the left are mulling over whether to target other so-called Bush Democrats, after defeating Representative Wynn in the Feb. 12 Maryland primary.
.................................................................................
But the key primary races this week are in Texas and Ohio. In Texas, Representative Paul raised $32.9 million in his presidential run, but since January he has faced an unexpectedly strong challenge from Friendswood City Councilman Chris Peden in the GOP primary. "We have a great deal of admiration for him as a man, but he just doesn't vote with his party," said Mr. Peden, in a phone interview. "It's time for Republicans to be Republicans again." While conservative talk-radio hosts cited private polls last month putting Paul 11 points behind the challenger, the first public poll by Public Policy Polling in Raleigh, N.C., released Feb. 28 shows Paul leading Peden, 63 to 30.

In Ohio, Representative Kucinich abandoned his presidential campaign in January to campaign to save his seat. A Feb. 27 poll, also by Public Policy Polling, shows Kucinich likely to win his first serious primary challenge in a race against four Democratic rivals on March 4. "It looks like Dennis Kucinich made a prudent choice...when he decided to go home and campaign for reelection right before the South Carolina primary," said Dean Debnam, president of Public Policy Polling, in a statement.

NY Times

March 4, 2008, 10:16 pm
Mike Huckabee’s Next Stage: Television?

By Brian Stelter

How does “The Mike Huckabee Show” sound?

As Mr. Huckabee’s campaign plotted a concession speech on Tuesday, some analysts suggested that viewers would see the longshot Republican presidential candidate on television again very soon.

On the MSNBC program “Morning Joe,” the Republican strategist Mike Murphy predicted Mr. Huckabee would “suspend his campaign, hire excellent agents, and begin negotiations for a cable TV talk show, all within the next 10 days.”

“We’ve got a chair here he could fill,” the co-host Mika Brzezinski remarked.

Later in the day on MSNBC, the anchor Contessa Brewer joked that the jovial Mr. Huckabee could join the cast of the VH1 pop culture show “Best Week Ever.”
“I’ve got a feeling the call’s already going out,” the “Best Week Ever” contributor Chuck Nice responded.

On Fox News Channel, the actor Stephen Baldwin said he would be reaching out to Mr. Huckabee to serve as a spokesperson for an organization called the Christian Values Network. It was unclear what network Mr. Baldwin was referring to, but it will apparently launch on the Internet soon.

“The Web site launches on Friday, so Mike, I’m going to be calling you soon,” Mr. Baldwin said, putting his thumb up for the camera.

There is some precedent for former presidential candidates to become television personalities. Pat Buchanan hosted “Crossfire” on CNN before, in between and after running for the Republican presidential nomination in 1992 and 1996, and now appears on MSNBC. And Alan Keyes, who mounted Republican presidential campaigns in 1996 and 2000, hosted “Alan Keyes is Making Sense” on MSNBC in 2002.

Mr. Huckabee will need some work after his campaign ends; unlike the sitting senators who are the leading candidates, the former Arkansas governor does not receive a taxpayer-financed salary. He flew to the Cayman Islands last month to deliver a paid speech.

The normally media-friendly Mr. Huckabee was largely swept to the side during Tuesday night’s primary coverage, partly because he did not conduct any of his usual TV interviews. Glenn Beck, a conservative host on CNN Headline News, bluntly said he didn’t know why Mr. Huckabee was still in the race. Jokingly, Mr. Beck asked, “Is he expecting God to come down and part the heavens?”

^It is. I remember hearing him talk about his weight loss on The Tonight Show, and how his doctor sat him down about 5 or 6 years ago and said he was entering the last decade of his life if he didn't start taking care of his health. He cut out sugar and fried foods, started eating healthier overall, and started exercising. I believe he said he lost 110 pounds through diet/exercise alone.

martha said:
Am I the only one not in love with Huckabee?

I think most of us, especially those of us who are more liberal, are as politically skeptical of him as possible. I disagree wtith nearly everything he stands for. That being said, I think he's a genuinely down-to-earth, humble, funny, intelligent guy. He'd be a kick-ass neighbor.

martha said:

I think he's funny, quick on his feet, amusing and when he talks about progressivism and lifting up the poor I want to shout Amen, precher! But then he talks policy and other issues and I get really turned off :shrug:

martha said:

:wave:

while i find his occasional quips occasionally cute, i find his "down-home" speaking style to be the very hight of bullshittery and anyone who falls for it as "authenticity" really needs to go down to the Gap to buy a cool new shirt for the 7th grade Snowball Dance.

So we're closing in on 900 posts in this thread. Any one think it might be time to start a new one? I have a feeling that the next leg of the campaign is going to merit it's own thread. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom