US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2isthebest said:
Shit! That's when "American Idol" is on.:mad: The debate's more important, I can Tivo it.

I love the irony

idol-cryer.jpg

Yes We Can

NY Times

February 26, 2008
Clinton Campaign Starts 5-Point Attack on Obama
By PATRICK HEALY and JULIE BOSMAN

After struggling for months to dent Senator Barack Obama’s candidacy, the campaign of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is now unleashing what one Clinton aide called a “kitchen sink” fusillade against Mr. Obama, pursuing five lines of attack since Saturday in hopes of stopping his political momentum.

The effort underscores not only Mrs. Clinton’s recognition that the next round of primaries — in Ohio and Texas on March 4 — are must-win contests for her. It also reflects her advisers’ belief that they can persuade many undecided voters to embrace her at the last minute by finally drawing sharply worded, attention-grabbing contrasts with Mr. Obama.

After denouncing Mr. Obama over the weekend for an anti-Clinton flier about the Nafta trade treaty, and then sarcastically portraying his message of hope Sunday as naïve, Mrs. Clinton delivered a blistering speech on Monday that compared Mr. Obama’s lack of foreign policy experience to that of the candidate George W. Bush.

“We’ve seen the tragic result of having a president who had neither the experience nor the wisdom to manage our foreign policy and safeguard our national security,” Mrs. Clinton said in a speech on foreign policy at George Washington University. “We can’t let that happen again.”

With a crucial debate on Tuesday night in Ohio, both Mrs. Clinton’s advisers and independent political analysts said that, by going negative against Mr. Obama at a time when polls in Texas and Ohio show a tightening race, Mrs. Clinton risked alienating voters. Mrs. Clinton has always been more popular with voters when she appeared sympathetic and a fighter; her hard-edged instinct for negative politics has usually turned off the public.

“There’s a general rule in politics: A legitimate distinction which could be effective when drawn early in the campaign often backfires and could seem desperate when it happens in the final hours of a campaign,” said Steve McMahon, a Democratic strategist working for neither candidate.

In Mrs. Clinton’s speech Monday, she also portrayed herself as “tested and ready” to be commander in chief, while accusing Mr. Obama of believing “that mediation and meetings without preconditions will solve some of the world’s most intractable problems.” Mr. Obama has said he would go further than Mrs. Clinton to meet with leaders of hostile nations, but he has also said he would prepare for those meetings carefully and would not be blind to the leaders’ motives.

On another matter, Mrs. Clinton’s aides criticized Mr. Obama on Monday for not distancing himself from outside groups running advertisements that promote his candidacy, a practice that Mr. Obama has sometimes criticized. An Obama spokesman said in response that Mrs. Clinton had tacitly permitted similar spending without comment.

But the attack that received the most pop, on cable television and blogs, came after a photograph of Mr. Obama in ceremonial African garb appeared on the Drudge Report, and the item’s author, Matt Drudge, claimed that the image was provided by a Clinton staff member.

Mr. Obama’s campaign manager, David Plouffe, said that the Clinton campaign had “engaged in the most shameful, offensive fear-mongering we’ve seen from either party.” It has not been independently verified that the photograph came from the Clinton campaign.

Mrs. Clinton’s new campaign manager, Maggie Williams, recently appointed to bring a tougher hand to the operation, issued a withering reply, not taking responsibility for the photograph but attacking the Obama campaign for suggesting that the photograph amounted to fear-mongering imagery.

“Enough,” Ms. Williams’s statement began. “If Barack Obama’s campaign wants to suggest that a photo of him wearing traditional Somali clothing is divisive, they should be ashamed. Hillary Clinton has worn the traditional clothing of countries she has visited and had those photos published widely.”

“This is nothing more than an obvious and transparent attempt to distract from the serious issues confronting our country today and to attempt to create the very divisions they claim to decry,” she added. “We will not be distracted.”

Clinton advisers said the attacks were partly an effort to knock Mr. Obama off balance before the debate on Tuesday.

They also said they were sending a signal to supporters that Mrs. Clinton was still resolutely fighting to win the presidential nomination, despite news reports in recent days about her dispirited campaign operation and her own somber outlook on the race.

To bolster her case at the George Washington speech, Mrs. Clinton stood on stage with a half-dozen retired military officials, including Gen. Wesley K. Clark, who introduced her. “I’m convinced that when the going gets tough, Hillary Clinton will never let America down,” General Clark said.

Mrs. Clinton pointed to her time in the Senate and in the White House as the first lady as evidence that she was the candidate who was most knowledgeable and prepared for the presidency.

“Electing a president should not be an either-or proposition when it comes to national security,” she said. “We need a president who knows how to deploy both the olive branch and the arrows, who will be ready to act swiftly and decisively in a crisis.”

The sharpened tone reflected a vacillating style that had her reflective about her political fate at the end of last Thursday’s debate in Texas, and offering an apology of sorts for Bill Clinton’s comments in South Carolina several weeks ago that many people viewed as racially insensitive.

By contrast, at a fund-raiser Sunday night in Boston, Mrs. Clinton told supporters that in the coming days, she planned to highlight what she called “the experience gap” between her and Mr. Obama.

Indeed, her advisers said Monday that she planned to hit this theme during the candidates’ Tuesday debate, though they said she would try to avoid making harsh personal attacks on Mr. Obama, particularly since Mrs. Clinton drew widespread attention and praise at the debate last week for saying she was “honored” to be on the same stage with him.

I can't help but think this is going to backfire on her big time. She's flip-flopping more than Romney. After that statement at the end of the debate last week, I, and possibly other non-Clinton supporters were impressed with the humble and seemingly genuine remark she made about Obama. She can't say "Whatever happens with this, we'll be fine" and then turn around 2 days later and suggest that Obama would be on the same level of competency as Bush.:huh: At the end of the article, she said she'd tone down her words in the debate, but that's not going to work anymore. She's already shown herself as petty and willing to resort to any kind of immaturity when she's losing. It's sad to me because she's always been one of my biggest role models, but I'm not an admirer of her behavior for the past couple of months on the campaign trail.

Yes- there's nothing worse than someone who is so nice and complimentary to your face and in your presence and the moment your back is turned they insult you. I can't believe she has reduced herself to that. Not to mention that it makes no logical sense :huh:

February 25, 2008 6:02 PM

ABC News' Teddy Davis and Jacqueline Klingebiel Report: During a Monday interview with ABC's Dallas affiliate, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., did not flatly deny the DrudgeReport's charge that her campaign forwarded a photo of rival Barack Obama in traditional African dress.

She then turned the tables on her Democratic rival and accused him of using the controversy to distract the public's attention from deficiencies in his platform and experience.

"I know nothing about it," Clinton told ABC affiliate WFAA. "This is in the public domain. But let's just stop and ask yourself: 'Why are you -- why is anybody concerned about this?'"

Clinton said that she found questions about whether her campaign leaked the photo to be "really laughable."

"This is one more attempt by my opponent's campaign to change the subject," said Clinton, "From his health-care plan that won't cover everybody, from an economic plan that won't produce jobs, and from a record that is pretty thin when it comes to national security and standing up for our country around the world."

The former first lady argued that there are photos of her from around the world wearing "the costume of the country" she was visiting.

"Every time I traveled to foreign countries, I wore the costume of the country. You can find dozen of pictures of me in different parts of the world," said Clinton. "You can find me wearing African outfits, Latin American outfits, Asian outfits, when you travel to foreign countries, it’s a sign of respect. What does that have to do with anything?"

During a Monday conference call with reporters, Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson said that the former first lady's campaign "did not sanction" the leaking of the photo. But he stopped short of denying whether a Clinton aide may have passed it to the DrudgeReport.

"I'm not in a position to ask 700 people to come in," said Wolfson.

Back in October, The New York Times identified Tracy Sefl as the Clinton campaign's conduit to the DrudgeReport.

Asked by ABC News on Monday if she gave the photo to the DrudgeReport, Sefl, who is vice president at the Glover Park Group, said, "no."

Like Wolfson, she could not speak for all Clinton campaign associates.

Asked if she has contacted the DrudgeReport to seek a correction to its claim that the Clinton campaign is the source of the photo, she said, "No comment."

^I don't understand what the big deal is with that picture of Obama in Africa, though. It's normal for a politican to wear the traditional dress of a region when he/she visits it. Bush wore a traditional robe in one of the African regions he visited last week. Hillary, Laura Bush, and Condoleeza Rice have all worn headscarves when visiting Muslim nations. It's done out of respect. I don't see why that would be damaging.

U2isthebest said:
^I don't understand what the big deal is with that picture of Obama in Africa, though. It's normal for a politican to wear the traditional dress of a region when he/she visits it. Bush wore a traditional robe in one of the African regions he visited last week. Hillary, Laura Bush, and Condoleeza Rice have all worn headscarves when visiting Muslim nations. It's done out of respect. I don't see why that would be damaging.

Just take into consideration the fact that America is the country that, despite everything that happened from September 11, 2001 up until November 2, 2004, we opted to keep Bush in the White House.

Americans can be flipping morons sometimes, and since most won't do the research when it comes time to pick their candidate, some of the more ignorant among us will see a picture like that and come to their own delusional conclusions. And I'm almost postive this won't be the last instance that we'll see something like this between now and the fall.

So sad, but oh so true. :|

U2isthebest said:

It's ridiculous, but because Obama's father is a Muslim, people somehow read far more into a picture like that than is necessary. And, of course, many people who see the picture will not know the context of it, and draw the conclusion that he is a radical jihadist. :|

(AP)WASHINGTON — President Bush predicted Monday that voters will replace him with a Republican president who will "keep up the fight" in Iraq. "I'm confident we'll hold the White House in 2008," Bush told donors at the Republican Governors Association annual dinner, which raised a record $10.6 million for GOP gubernatorial candidates.

"And I don't want the next Republican president to be lonely," Bush said. "And that is why we got to take the House, retake the Senate, and make sure our states are governed by Republican governors."

The pep talk came in the midst of a presidential campaign that largely has overshadowed Bush's final year in office. Bush has promised to be an active fundraiser, and he had no trouble slipping into enthusiastic campaign mode Monday evening.

He said Republicans still offer the bedrock positions that voters embrace: strong defense, low taxes and personal freedoms.

"When I say I'm confident, I am so because I understand the mentality of the American people," Bush said. "And I understand the mentality of our candidates. And there's no question in my mind, with your help, 2008 is going to be a great year."

Democratic governors have a 28-22 edge nationally, having regained a majority in 2006 after 12 years of GOP dominance. Eleven seats are up this year.

The Republican governors still have the financial edge, with the Republican Governors Association raising $22 million last year, to $13 million for its Democratic counterpart. That includes $9 million cash on hand for the RGA, compared to $7 million for the Democratic Governors Association.

In Congress, Democrats took control of the House and Senate in 2006. Bush has sought to remain relevant through his veto power and bully pulpit.

On Iraq, he pledged Monday that he would use his remaining time in office to make whatever decisions are needed to "make sure that we succeed in Iraq." The country has long grown weary of the war, although economic concerns have overtaken Iraq as the top concern among voters.

"I believe the American people understand that success in Iraq is necessary for the long-term security of the American people," Bush said. "And we will elect somebody to the White House who will keep up the fight to make sure Iraq is secure and free."

What infuriates me the most about this whole dust-up is the slimey Rovian tactics behind it. First, they don't actually come out straight and make a clear accusation (look, a picture of Obama looking vaguely Muslim-y!) but they send a photo to the tabloid media (if it can even be called that). That in and of itself is low. Then they have the audacity to claim that it's Obama camp's fault when they stand up and call them on it? Please spare me. This is like a calling someone a "homo" and then when they object to the name, saying "what, are you saying you don't like gay people? Are you a homophobe?" :huh: It's childish, it's uncalled for and it's completely beyond the pale. Combined with the vitriolic "Shame on you" over the weekend plus the "Obama is like Bush" comparisons, the level to which this campaign is willing to stoop really disgusts me. I had quite a lot of respect for Mrs. Clinton and had seriously considered supporting her in the primary, but at this point if she ends up being the nominee, I will not be happy voting for her.

onebloodonelife said:

It's ridiculous, but because Obama's father is a Muslim, people somehow read far more into a picture like that than is necessary. And, of course, many people who see the picture will not know the context of it, and draw the conclusion that he is a radical jihadist. :|

one of the most idiotic things i've ever heard someone say was a guy standing ahead of me in line while waiting to get into hillary's rally in ft. worth who said
"i'm not voting for obama, he's muslim, we don't need a terrorist in the office."

:banghead:

btw, i've got some pics of the obama rally, hillary's rally, and bill clinton's rally in my journal if anyone's interested.

ABEL said:

one of the most idiotic things i've ever heard someone say was a guy standing ahead of me in line while waiting to get into hillary's rally in ft. worth who said
"i'm not voting for obama, he's muslim, we don't need a terrorist in the office."

:banghead:

So, you've met my dad then? :huh:

Now this is a stout prediction:

Gotta love him.:hug:

Bush Predicts GOP Will Hold White House

Feb 25 08:47 PM US/Eastern
By BEN FELLER
Associated Press Writer 322 Comments

Bush 'Confident' Republicans Will Take White House In 2008

Bush urges successor: Keep Africa focus

gwbush.jpg

Bush Pumps Up Republican Faithful

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush predicted Monday that voters will replace him with a Republican president who will "keep up the fight" in Iraq. "I'm confident we'll hold the White House in 2008," Bush told donors at the Republican Governors Association annual dinner, which raised a record $10.6 million for GOP gubernatorial candidates.
"And I don't want the next Republican president to be lonely," Bush said. "And that is why we got to take the House, retake the Senate, and make sure our states are governed by Republican governors."

The pep talk came in the midst of a presidential campaign that largely has overshadowed Bush's final year in office. Bush has promised to be an active fundraiser, and he had no trouble slipping into enthusiastic campaign mode Monday evening.

He said Republicans still offer the bedrock positions that voters embrace: strong defense, low taxes and personal freedoms.

"When I say I'm confident, I am so because I understand the mentality of the American people," Bush said. "And I understand the mentality of our candidates. And there's no question in my mind, with your help, 2008 is going to be a great year."

Democratic governors have a 28-22 edge nationally, having regained a majority in 2006 after 12 years of GOP dominance. Eleven seats are up this year.

The Republican governors still have the financial edge, with the Republican Governors Association raising $22 million last year, to $13 million for its Democratic counterpart. That includes $9 million cash on hand for the RGA, compared to $7 million for the Democratic Governors Association.

In Congress, Democrats took control of the House and Senate in 2006. Bush has sought to remain relevant through his veto power and bully pulpit.

On Iraq, he pledged Monday that he would use his remaining time in office to make whatever decisions are needed to "make sure that we succeed in Iraq." The country has long grown weary of the war, although economic concerns have overtaken Iraq as the top concern among voters.

"I believe the American people understand that success in Iraq is necessary for the long-term security of the American people," Bush said. "And we will elect somebody to the White House who will keep up the fight to make sure Iraq is secure and free."

Republican governors, as chief executives and effective fundraisers, see themselves as the key to turning around their party.

Four of the last five presidents, including the current one, were governors.

One former Republican governor, Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, remains in the presidential race, but the next president is all but certain to come from the Senate—Republican John McCain, or Democrats Barack Obama or Hillary Rodham Clinton.

About 1,400 people attended the event at the cavernous National Building Museum, where they dined on grilled shrimp, spring rolls, gumbo and crab cakes before filtering into an adjacent room to hear Bush.

___

Associated Press writer Andrew Welsh

Presently here is the state of each candidates' campaign- illustrated with visual aides from yours truly:D:

train_wreck.jpg

Hillary's

istockphoto_243616_jumbo_jet_take_off.jpg

Obama's

american_flag_1.jpg

McCain's

dbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom