US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By Elisabeth Bumiller (New York Times)

updated 4:51 a.m. ET, Fri., Feb. 15, 2008
WASHINGTON - Senator John McCain’s presidential campaign said Thursday that it stood by a year-old pledge made with Senator Barack Obama that each would accept public financing for the general election if the nominee of the opposing party did the same. But Mr. Obama’s campaign refused to reaffirm its earlier commitment.

The McCain campaign’s latest stand on the issue was first reported Thursday by The Financial Times. On Tuesday, one of Mr. McCain’s advisers told The New York Times that the campaign had decided to forgo public financing in the general election, an awkward admission for a senator who has made campaign finance reform a central part of his political persona.

That adviser was speaking on the assumption that Mr. Obama, who has broken all records in political fund-raising and is currently drawing more than $1 million a day, would find a way to retreat from the pledge in order to outspend his opponent in the fall by far. Under public-financing rules, the nominees are restricted to spending about $85 million each for the two-month general election campaign, far less than what Mr. Obama might be able to raise on his own.

On Thursday, in an effort by the McCain campaign to speak with one voice and put the onus for abandoning the system on Mr. Obama, several McCain advisers called on him to make good on his pledge. Mr. Obama was the candidate who proposed the pledge in the first place, in February 2007, a time when he was not raising the prodigious sums he is now.

Mr. McCain, co-author of the McCain-Feingold act of 2002, which placed new restrictions on campaign financing, was the only other candidate to take Mr. Obama up on his pledge.

“We have a candidate who is quite serious about taking public funds if Obama does,” Mark Salter, a senior adviser to Mr. McCain, said Thursday. “It’s not a game to McCain.” Mr. Obama, Mr. Salter said, “gave his word, and he either places value on that or he’s just fooling voters.”

Bill Burton, the Obama campaign’s national press secretary, responded to Mr. Salter by saying Mr. Obama would deal with the matter later.

“We will address that issue in the general election, when we’re the nominee,” Mr. Burton said. “We’re just not entertaining hypotheticals right now.”

Mr. Burton’s remarks drew a sharp reaction from Fred Wertheimer, president and chief executive of Democracy 21, a group that advocates tighter campaign finance rules.

“I’m concerned with the position the Obama campaign is taking,” Mr. Wertheimer said. “He is now saying this is an option. But they made a commitment in 2007 to do this. There were no conditions, no arguments, that ‘we’ll decide this when we get the nomination.’ I think it’s very important for Senator Obama to reaffirm the commitment that he made.”

Mr. Wertheimer also pointed to one of Mr. Obama’s responses to a questionnaire released in November by the Midwest Democracy Network, an alliance of 20 civic and public-interest groups in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.

Asked if he would participate in the public-financing system if he was nominated for president and his major opponents agreed to do the same, Mr. Obama wrote yes. Then he added, also in writing, “If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.”

As the two campaigns dueled, people on both sides said it was possible that they would agree to accept public financing and then simply have each political party spend unlimited amounts on behalf of its candidate, including money for voter mobilization efforts and television commercials, as allowed by law.

Also: large union backing Obama http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/15/u...cfb795c&ei=5088&partner=msnbcpolitics&emc=rss

And Clinton superdelegate tilting toward Obama

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/15/u...229f377&ei=5088&partner=msnbcpolitics&emc=rss

Even more bizarre:

ABC News’ Teddy Davis Reports: On Wednesday, a top adviser to John McCain said more definitively than he has in the past that he will step down from the Arizona senator’s presidential campaign if the presumed GOP nominee faces Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., in the general election.

"I would simply be uncomfortable being in a campaign that would be inevitably attacking Barack Obama," said McCain adviser Mark McKinnon in an interview with NPR’s "All Things Considered." "I think it would be uncomfortable for me, and I think it would be bad for the McCain campaign." [...]

"I met Barack Obama, I read his book, I like him a great deal," said McKinnon. "I disagree with him on very fundamental issues. But I think, as I said, I think it would a great race for the country."

ABC News’ Teddy Davis Reports: On Wednesday, a top adviser to John McCain said more definitively than he has in the past that he will step down from the Arizona senator’s presidential campaign if the presumed GOP nominee faces Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., in the general election.

So is this a fracture in the Dems or the Repubs?

"I met Barack Obama, I read his book, I like him a great deal," said McKinnon.
"I disagree with him on very fundamental issues. But I think, as I said, I think it would a great race for the country."

"I would simply be uncomfortable being in a campaign that would be inevitably attacking Barack Obama,"

Is Obama getting a free ride?

Or has the "fare" been "paid" by millions that were never allowed on board before?

According to presidentelectionpolls.com, new head-to-head matchups released today show McCain beating both Democrats.

Barack Obama- 261
John McCain- 266

Hillary Clinton- 203
John McCain- 317

Did Obama plagarize
some one else's speech?

"Don't tell me words don't matter," Obama told the Wisconsin audience. "'I have a dream' - just words? 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal' - just words? 'We have nothing to fear but fear itself' - just words? Just speeches?"

Patrick used similar language during his 2006 governor's race to push back on similar charges from his GOP opponent.

"'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal' - just words? Just words?" Patrick said. "'We have nothing to fear but fear itself' - just words? 'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.' Just words? 'I have a dream' - just words?"

Clinton's campaign posted video clips on YouTube to illustrate the similarities in Obama's and Patrick's speeches.

"I really don't think this is too big of a deal," he said. He said he's noticed Clinton using his phrases sometimes, like "it's time to turn the page" and "fired up, ready to go."

Did Hillary plagiarize Obama’s

FIRED UP

AND READY TO GO?

_40898128_crackpipe300spl.jpg

2861U2 said:
According to presidentelectionpolls.com, new head-to-head matchups released today show McCain beating both Democrats.

Barack Obama- 261
John McCain- 266

Hillary Clinton- 203
John McCain- 317

According to polls, Guiliani was the frontrunner at one point.

:shrug:

Diemen said:

According to polls, Guiliani was the frontrunner at one point.

:shrug:

popular votes are meaningless

and 2861U2 numbers are not that big of a surprise to me

those numbers (electoral votes) mean something

all along I have been asking what states Obama wins???

no one answers

they just FIRE UP

another one

YES WE CAN

YES WE CAN

2861U2 said:

Barack Obama- 261
John McCain- 266

Hillary Clinton- 203
John McCain- 317

That's some sampling you got there. 527 total votes in the first scenario and 520 in the second. Yeah, I guess we can call the race now. :|
Gee, and I wonder how many "online polls" actually have the same person & or his/her friends voting in them for their faves, just like in any other poll/contest online (ie: U2, Bono,...). Yeah, these are accurate.

My newfound smiley for today :happy:
politics.gif

Lila64 said:

That's some sampling you got there. 527 total votes in the first scenario and 520 in the second. Yeah, I guess we can call the race now. :|

it does not add up to 541?

so, in each contest there are states that can not be called :shrug:

I think Obama will not carry Florida
and may not carry Ohio

and there goes the whole election

FIRED UP!

or not.

deep said:

popular votes are meaningless

and 2861U2 numbers are not that big of a surprise to me

those numbers (electoral votes) mean something

all along I have been asking what states Obama wins???

no one answers

they just FIRE UP

another one

YES WE CAN

YES WE CAN

Looking at those numbers Obama gets much closer than Clinton. And looking at the date, we're still quite a few months away from the real election. Are you saying that results of today = the results of election day?

I did note that the poll suggest Obama wins more electoral votes than Hillary

and yes a lot can change between now and November

I believe most states will not deviate much from 2000 and 2004

Guiliani peaked too soon

I believe Obama may suffer a similar fate

deep said:
I did note that the poll suggest Obama wins more electoral votes than Hillary

and yes a lot can change between now and November

I believe most states will not deviate much from 2000 and 2004

Guiliani peaked too soon

I believe Obama may suffer a similar fate

It's possible. Or it could be that what we are seeing is truly a movement that will not be stopped anytime soon.

It could also be that Hillary has already peaked as well. For the good part of a year leading up to Iowa the polls, pundits, and the Clinton campaign suggested she was inevitable. The next several primaries will be interesting. I'm not going to count out the Clintons.

I don't know. Comparing the Obama and Giuliani campaigns like this doesn't seem to work. Giuliani was the definite Republican front-runner for a long time, but he never had the same momentum that Obama does. He wasn't mobolizing his party at the base level. It reminded me of the Kerry campaign in 04, in the sense of, the Republicans seeming to think he was the best of the bunch but nothing to write home about. I didn't see them getting behind him in a broad sense. On a far more important level, the campaign strategys of Obama and Giuliani are vastly different. Giuliani bet his whole campaign farm, so to speak, on Florida. He just did not seem to engage the rest of the Republicans in other parts of the country at all. Obama has spent a lot of time in nearly all of the primary states that have had elections/caucuses so far and has built up support from a grassroots level. Trying to align the 2 campaigns in terms of strategy is something that just doesn't seem logical.

Last edited:
I think I posted in here that Guiliani is the worst person in American politics

Obama is very good
and most likely will be the Dem nominee

I think by the time the general election gets here

the Obama mania will have subsided
and he will not win the states required to get the 271 electoral votes.

How does that not get noticed before it gets on the air?

TV Newser

Monday Feb 18, 2008
And It Continues...More Obama/Osama Confusion

hardball_2-18.jpg

The latest instance of a major cable outlet confusing Sen. Barack Obama and Osama bin Laden comes from MSNBC tonight. At the beginning of Hardball with Chris Matthews, a graphic titled "Words About Words" featured an image of bin Laden. The story Matthews teased was about the Obama speech being called into question for "plagiarism."

Matthews apologized 15 minutes later: "You may have noticed the graphic over my shoulder. A picture we showed over our shoulder, that was a mistake earlier in the broadcast. We apologize for the error."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom